Original Doom

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
MetroidJunkie

Re: Original Doom

Post by MetroidJunkie »

leileilol wrote:
No

Tiny stairs are not slopes

That's how they planned on making slopes, really tiny stair sectors? I was thinking something more along the lines of how Duke 3D handled slopes, only real problem with that is it caused the textures to stretch if the angles were deep enough.
Laggy

Post by Laggy »

I wish one could climb those hills on the background...
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

for the maps in Doom 2 to actually look like places rather than random shapes.. none of the places look like something that was logically active and used before all went to chaos. the cities and bases even were just random shapes.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Peter Bark wrote:for the maps in Doom 2 to actually look like places rather than random shapes.. none of the places look like something that was logically active and used before all went to chaos. the cities and bases even were just random shapes.
I second this, the original versions of Doom should have had some more believable environments.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Yea, I too don't enjoy the mapping style of Doom 2 as much as Doom. I wonder what happened there...
Maybe it was too much to make a decent map back then.

Also, I always wondered why all the chainguns on monsters used the shotgun sounds, while yours didn't.
But sometimes I couldn't get enough of Doom 2's End Screen.
Average

Post by Average »

I never played Doom when it was first released as I was an Amiga gy at the time. When the first source port hit the Miggy there were already user made wads and the like out and about. The one thing I always wanted (and still do!) is to be able to go into the Load Game menu and choose a save file (for instance UAC Dead and a custom music WAD) that would automatically load the wads required to play that save.
Athel

Post by Athel »

MetroidJunkie wrote:
leileilol wrote:
No

Tiny stairs are not slopes

That's how they planned on making slopes, really tiny stair sectors? I was thinking something more along the lines of how Duke 3D handled slopes, only real problem with that is it caused the textures to stretch if the angles were deep enough.
I never said tiny stairs. They planned actual slopes.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Galaxy_Stranger wrote:When doom and doom ii were released, what did you wish the game could do that it couldn't back then? What did you wish the game could have done/featured when it was originally released?
In 1993? Nothing. I was blown away by it. Before the release, I'd been excited about all the talk of stuff that Doom could do that wasn't in Wolf3D: non-orthogonal walls, different heights, different light levels etc and when it actually came out there was so much more besides that I never even thought "I wish it had X, Y or Z". The game was amazing, revolutionary. Everything was new. Nothing was better. There was nothing to compare it to that would draw attention to "missing" features.

However, by the time Doom2 came out I had done quite a lot of editing and I was increasingly realising the limitations of the engine. I don't remember anything in particular from back then but there were definitely problems and limits associated with the map format, game code, etc that bugged me at the time. In addition, I also remember feeling, in particular, that the Doom2 soundtrack was weaker and less impressive than the Doom one and that the maps were not as appealing to me either. That disappointment was relatively short-lived though because I quickly moved on from playing Doom2 to editing for it and the extra resources in the Doom2 IWAD were most welcome. As a result, the dull (IMO) Doom2 maps weren't a problem because I wasn't playing them anyway.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Heh, I basically agree with Enjay. When I first played the game, the only thing else I wanted from it was MORE. More maps, levels, enemies, content, etc., 'cause it was so damned good. Then I discovered Doom 2 (and later pwads) and all was well with the world.

It wasn't until I started doing modding myself that I started formulating a wishlist of sorts. Pretty much everything at the time was at some point remedied by a port feature (e.g. "boy i wish i could add new weapons instead of replacing the existing ones"), and any present "well I wish Doom had done this" type of thoughts (e.g. "why couldn't the vanilla seglimit be bigger goddamn") are entirely retrospective.
Athel

Post by Athel »

One thing I wanted after playing Doom 3:

"Why doesn't classic Doom do reloading?"
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

I wanted Doom 3 to have no reloading. The thing I want from doom when it came out was me being born before then.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

xenoxols wrote:The thing I want from doom when it came out was me being born before then.
::slow one-handed golf clap::
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

fellowzdoomer wrote:One thing I wanted after playing Doom 3:

"Why doesn't classic Doom do reloading?"
Thank god it doesn't. I know lots of people like it. I know lots of mods have added it. Some mods have even done it quite well. I know its "realistic" but, as a default, I really don't like it. To me, it completely gets in the way of a fast-paced run-and-gun game like Doom. Even in the slower Doom3, I found it very annoying. In some games it works. I didn't think it worked very well in Doom3 (to be fair, I thought most aspects of the Doom3 weapons were lacklustre - like the rest of the game) and enough of the fights and fight arenas were set up in such a way that the reloading was irritating IMO.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Enjay wrote:Nothing. I was blown away by it.
Sums it up quite well for me. Also, I didn't really know much about the game before installing it, so all I knew was that a friend had recommended it to me, and that it was like Wolfenstein but better. With Doom 2 my friends and I would sometimes coop and deathmatch, so the only thing I really wanted to improve was the infinitely tall actors, as I thought it was a little silly I could use this to block access to areas for another player by standing below an opening. Although it was funny watching the recording afterwards and seeing them being confused as Hell by it.

I didn't know it was even possible to edit anything until well after the release of Doom 2, which I randomly found on a store shelf one day. And when I did find out I didn't really understand the editor very well, so I only replaced monsters, pickups or changed lighting a bit to make DM or coop more fun.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

fellowzdoomer wrote:They planned actual slopes.
[citation needed]

on a related note BUILD didn't get slopes until mid-95. Until then it was some sort of voxeled floor heightmap thing that has evil segfaults when you drop into it.
Enjay wrote:Everything was new. Nothing was better. There was nothing to compare it to that would draw attention to "missing" features.
Lethal Tender had jumping, crouching and some rudimentary stealth gameplay in a textured 3d first person shooter for 1993, bu that's just a relatively obscure US mail-order-only title with no shareware version. Its engine became the basis of many, many shitty first person shooters after though

Return to “Off-Topic”