Original Doom

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Galaxy_Stranger

Original Doom

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

When doom and doom ii were released, what did you wish the game could do that it couldn't back then? What did you wish the game could have done/featured when it was originally released?
doomjedi

Re: Original Doom

Post by doomjedi »

Well...mix "Brutal Doom" (maybe with less blood - more realistic blood, those pools look over the top) with "Skulltag" - you've got Doomers dream methinks...
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

doomjedi wrote:Well...mix "Brutal Doom" (maybe with less blood - more realistic blood, those pools look over the top) with "Skulltag" - you've got Doomers dream methinks...
Spoiler:
I don't think so.. I think Doom is fine as it is. Don't need no voice actor yelling "GO FUCK YOURSELF". As Doom was designed with the idea of YOU, the PLAYER being the Marine. Why do you think it says at the end of Doom II, the Marine is simply called "Our Hero" instead of "DoomGuy", "Flynn Taggart", "FuckYourSelf"?

An opinion is an opinion, regardless. I however wish Doom had more levels. Probably DooM II running with 64 maps instead of 32. Two episodes of pure bliss. :D
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Slopes and room over room
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

tbh 32 maps in one go are way too many. first Doom had the right idea with 3 selectable episodes with incremental difficulty level, but playing 32 levels in one go? it gets tiring, and it's why i never really bother playing through all of Doom 2.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

Personally, I'd liked more different monsters. Exclusive monsters for the base-, city- and hell-maps would've been nice.
Hellser wrote: "DoomGuy", "Flynn Taggart", "FuckYourSelf"?
I always imagined him being called George for some reason.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

I always wanted the locations to link up in a more "realistic" manner. Doom was the most realistic game I'd played at that point, and the various buildings on Phobos/Deimos just seemed far too disconnected to me. I remember planning my own episode (before I had an editor) where it all linked up properly.

(This, of course, informed my mapping output where everything did try to link up in a realistic manner.)
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

not when it was released, but awhile later i always wanted to be able to load duke 3D maps onto doom.. i tried it many times when i was young.
later i found at a flea market a duke to doom map converter, cant remember if it even worked but it is not exactly what i imagined

I even drew a monster on the bottom of the PSX doom CD with a felt tip pen, then put the game into the playstation and hoped the monster would be in the game..
I would even put crash bandicoot in the playstation with the doom on top to see if I could mix both games, i even put crash in first, took the game out without turning it off so the game was still on the screen, and then put doom in..

I was a little 90s kid. we didnt get taught much about technology in school back then. what did i kno
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

run smoothly on a 386 without both rebooting with a bunch of drivers unloaded and reducing the screen size to near-minimum

split-screen multiplayer (I didn't even have a modem then, and computers were rare, expensive and large enough that they were quasi-fixtures in the house like a piano or fridge)

ability to modify actor behaviour without cannibalizing frames from something else

monsters actually spawning in the spawning vats (ED: not like an endless gauntlet mode but like critters visibly growing in the goo)
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Brightness control. Fortunately was quickly done by v1.1

Ladders or stairs in E1M3's stupid slime pit. First time I played that level I just dived right into it no thanks to choppy framerates.

A graphical manual for the shareware as elaborate as the other shareware titles of the time (mainly Apogee games). At that point Baron of Hell was just known as 'big badasses' to me.

Paddle War

Chaingun having its own firing sound and being more useful to use in low framerates. I didn't use it much because it took more time to kill an imp than a shotgun can in low framerates (low as in ~3-7fps, Tseng ET3000 is no help)

hard to rethink what I thought Doom needed 21 years ago in the best of context so this is quite a brain pry. I thought then Doom was already great, enough to disregard Wolf3d as old hat, even then in a world before the three digit megahertz.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Remmirath wrote:Slopes and room over room

I think slopes were originally going to be in there, guess they couldn't get it working the way they wanted it to.
Athel

Post by Athel »

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Remmirath wrote:Slopes and room over room

I think slopes were originally going to be in there, guess they couldn't get it working the way they wanted it to.
It did, but Carmack got rid of it because in that day and age, their hacks to make Doom even boot up made the framerate to drop.

...but im sure that shovelware CD that had rats09.wad on it had a slope in it in vanilla doom......
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

fellowzdoomer wrote:
It did, but Carmack got rid of it because in that day and age, their hacks to make Doom even boot up made the framerate to drop.

...but im sure that shovelware CD that had rats09.wad on it had a slope in it in vanilla doom......

So slopes were too much for computers at the time to handle?
Athel

Post by Athel »

I guess so. The computers werent exactly Windows Vista back then.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

fellowzdoomer wrote:It did, but Carmack got rid of it because in that day and age, their hacks to make Doom even boot up made the framerate to drop.
No

Tiny stairs are not slopes

Return to “Off-Topic”