Regarding Brutal Doom

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
PooshhMao

Re: Regarding Brutal Doom

Post by PooshhMao »

Ghastly_dragon wrote: Any insults and hostility (Ignore Edward :v ) at this point are coming from you.
Nah, there will be no such thing. As I said, I have a Doom wad coming up and I need people to hype it to and get feedback from.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

PooshhMao wrote:
Ghastly_dragon wrote: Any insults and hostility (Ignore Edward :v ) at this point are coming from you.
Nah, there will be no such thing. As I said, I have a Doom wad coming up and I need people to hype it to and get feedback from.
Then do it in your own thread, hopefully.
GhostKillahZero

Post by GhostKillahZero »

A lot of us know us know Stg Mark IV, his shitty brutal mod, and his wicked attitude in his last few weeks on this forum before receiving the Banhammer. Why do people ask for a compatibility patch for brutal doom you may wonder? We'll because no one wants to put time and effort into something that most people here didn't like his mod or Stg Mark IV himself. Wanna have a compatibility patch for your/some mod you want? Create It Yourself! Don't encourage someone who doesn't want to, Even if commission is involved (Seriously, save your money for something you really want, not +1000 lines of code). Sounds pretty harsh but it's true. If you keep asking too much, you might receive a warning, but that's up to to mods themselves. Do keep that in mind next time you feel like asking for a compatibility patch for brutal doom.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

PooshhMao wrote:Nah, there will be no such thing. As I said, I have a Doom wad coming up and I need people to hype it to and get feedback from.
Can I just wait and read about it in an upcoming gaming magazine?
stagefatality

Post by stagefatality »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Just those of us who have been in this community for the last eight-plus years have seen these same arguments and shitstorms so many times that people should be directed to those original arguments and shitstorms that still exist and are archived on these forums rather than regurgitate them all over again for the umpteenth time.
It doesn't take a veteran to see the controversy that's come over such a minute subject.

What confuses me more than the mod's notoriety is the alleged need for compatibility patches.

It's just one mod, how did it get this bad?
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

A Brutal Doom argument starts on a rules thread trying to prevent Brutal Doom arguments. I don't think this will ever end now.

RIP Doom Community
1993-2015
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Well, if nothing else, what just happened here only serves to clarify why we needed a rule in the first place.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Bottom line: This ain't the place for Brutal Doom anymore.
Something like that.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Or more specifically it isn't the place for Brutal Doom-related material unless you made it yourself and want to share. And are WILLING TO PROPERLY CREDIT SOURCE ARTISTS.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Big C wrote:Or more specifically it isn't the place for Brutal Doom-related material unless you made it yourself and want to share. And are WILLING TO PROPERLY CREDIT SOURCE ARTISTS.
The main reason why I haven't just flat-out banned anybody doing anything related to Brutal Doom is that it isn't fair to the people who are working to turn BD into something that is actually somewhat respectable, or otherwise attempting to distance it from its creator. I don't want to restrict people from making the mods they want to make (except in very extreme circumstances like Terrywads and other exercises in awful taste).
Big C

Post by Big C »

wildweasel wrote:
Big C wrote:Or more specifically it isn't the place for Brutal Doom-related material unless you made it yourself and want to share. And are WILLING TO PROPERLY CREDIT SOURCE ARTISTS.
The main reason why I haven't just flat-out banned anybody doing anything related to Brutal Doom is that it isn't fair to the people who are working to turn BD into something that is actually somewhat respectable, or otherwise attempting to distance it from its creator. I don't want to restrict people from making the mods they want to make (except in very extreme circumstances like Terrywads and other exercises in awful taste).
Yeah, I figured that, I'm just saying that the rules are largely meant to deal with:

A) The sycophants who accuse BD's critics of jealousy and are completely incapable of recognizing what was wrong with SgtMkIV, and that even setting aside him being a shitheel as a person he was unprofessional and did not dole out credit where credit was due. THAT was where I drew the fucking line with Sarge.

B) The often-barely-English-literate newblets who continually come in here and beg for Brutal Doom compatibility for mods whose authors have no interest in such. People making their own mods, Brutal DooM-related or not, is a wonderful thing! That should be encouraged! What shouldn't be encouraged is people acting like lobotomy patients with a fucking crack addiction to Brutal DooM and wandering their way in here when they barely have any place on an internet forum that expects a certain minimum of English literacy---or the ability to find people willing to translate for them as some users here have---and instead just...Argh. Fuck it. You know what I mean.

You're being reasonable! Some people here are good at making new and/or better things out of Brutal DooM! The kind of shit the new rules are meant to protect against isn't your fault!

tl;dr: I agree with you and that was what I was saying in the post you quoted/replied to.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Yes

Edit:
That may not be enough to show my agreement with the new rules.
Yes
Gez

Post by Gez »

Can we get this thread locked?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Gez wrote:Can we get this thread locked?

Yes, please, please...!

(What a nice proof for the need of the new rule this is...)
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Did you know that if you start playing Brutal Doom and Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon at the exact same time, the events sync up?

Did you know that if you play Brutal Doom past the end, you find out Doomguy is the walrus?

Did you know that if you play Brutal Doom backwards, you can hear God telling you a message?

Serious topic isn't so serious any more. I regret nothing.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”