Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jdredalert

Re: Ashes - Post-apocalypse TC -WIP (New screenshots)

Post by jdredalert »

I was beginning to worry about this. Good to see some updates.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Reminds me of Duke3d's levels. Also the lower part of the images are cut out. So far looking good.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

xenoxols wrote:Reminds me of Duke3d's levels. Also the lower part of the images are cut out. So far looking good.
Actually I just removed the hud and dropped the pistol between each shot :lol:

It's been a hectic week but I am hoping to get some serious work done over the weekend
DoukDouk

Post by DoukDouk »

This is great! :wub: Well-done work with establishing the mood and atmosphere. Keeping it gritty and moody without it looking bland takes a lot of talent. Looking very much forward to this.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Welcome to the forums!

And thank you for your interest. I'm open to any comments and suggestions. I'm very busy so I don't get much chance to upload new content, but will try to respond to questions and give status updates.

Actually have a dilemma at the moment about weapon selection, but I'll reveal that problem once everyone has had a chance to try the current line-up. Almost, ALMOST finished mapping the demo level.... just need to add actors and fully angle sprites.....

I'm still working on this!!! Not going anywhere!!! :D
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

So will this be only a full total conversion, or will it also work on regular Doom maps replacing the weapons, enemies, etc?
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Not as drastic as you think. The design was based on a THEME change, more than a complete overhaul. I imagine it will function normally with regular doom maps. Most items will fulfill the same function - i.e. rad suits basically the same deal, props are basically their DooM equivalent. Chaingun swap has it's own ammo supply (replaces Ammobox), so maps that don't include these will be VERY short of assault rifle ammo. Also, ammo supply will be tighter, especially on maps that involve long pistol battles with zombiemen (these will quickly devolve into a very frantic melee fest). And textures have been replaced, so won't always make sense in their context.

But then, I've been basing it off Freedoom for playtesting, so the basic mechanics will be unchanged. It might be a little more challenging than a regular playthrough, but I am trying to keep it so you can if you wish.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

I'm thinking of releasing a quick PK3 OpenAlpha of the first 6 weapons sometime this week. It would be nice to get some feedback on feel, mechanics, and power, as well as some ideas as to how to improve them.

Everything mentioned in the weapons section (including crowbar or machete melee weapon and combat shotgun) will be included.

What does everyone think so far? Should I stick with contemporary weapons like colts and m16's, or something fictional? Centered or angled guns?
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

It could be cool to have makeshift weapons like combined items and stuff, or bodged together stuff, it might be an idea to have that sort of thing as a prominent feature. Hell, you could even have a sort of crafting system..
An alpha sounds good, feedback is important. Would that be in MAP01?
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

I think you should stick with the theme of real weapons, and all of the ones you have so far look awesome, so I would leave them. I f you release the weapon preview, then yeah I'll give you feedback. It's your call though.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Raziel236 wrote:It could be cool to have makeshift weapons like combined items and stuff, or bodged together stuff, it might be an idea to have that sort of thing as a prominent feature. Hell, you could even have a sort of crafting system..
An alpha sounds good, feedback is important. Would that be in MAP01?
Weapon 6 and 7 are purely jury-rigged - a revolver gas-powered speargun and a propane flamethrower, for now, but I'll wait until after the feedback to implement them...

Map1 in the alpha...hmm. Probably not, that'll be released with the three "primer" enemies as a beta, if you could call it that.

As for crafting, a couple of weapon upgrades is all I'm planning to planning to add, for now, but it certainly a very good idea with regards to between levels (turn scrap into permanent upgrades between maps- like an rpg levelling system maybe)
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

xenoxols wrote:I think you should stick with the theme of real weapons, and all of the ones you have so far look awesome, so I would leave them. I f you release the weapon preview, then yeah I'll give you feedback. It's your call though.
Ha. Actually, I almost went down the route of purely jury-rigged and fictional weapons... until I randomly started on the m16 8-) I'll post some of the early-early-alpha weapons and see what you think:
Image Image Image
I'll look forward to feedback before I make any changes though...
xenoxols

Re: Ashes - Post-apocalypse TC -WIP (Working on preview)

Post by xenoxols »

By the way, an M1911A1 has a 7, not 8 round magazine. If you decide to put one in the chamber mechanics in then you can have a total of 8 bullets in the gun at once.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

xenoxols wrote:By the way, an M1911A1 has a 7, not 8 round magazine. If you decide to put one in the chamber mechanics in then you can have a total of 8 bullets in the gun at once.
Yes, yes, I know :geek:

It was for testing purposes, as 8 rounds was a nice even number, and the original idea was for a Government/Commander magazine with 8 shots. I was thinking about dropping it back down to 7 at some point. For balance against this weapon of course; this revolver was due to make an appearance at one point:

chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

I know i said it before but I LOVE the damn origins for the guns, its not center but its not side, its juuuust right and that makes it so nice

plus a revolver would be a more common choice than a 1911 for sure in a post apoc world

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”