[V1.3] The Adventures of Square: Episode 1!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [V1.0 RELEASE!] The Adventures of Square: Episode 1!

Post by Jimmy »

Slax wrote:Guys, would it be possible to expand the HUD face width? I had this idea, see...

It's just a simple face, right? With more space to work with I'd be able to do some proper animation. Oh golly, oh gee! Glancing, talking, laughing... all of it! Basically more frames of animation and (you know it) character.
You can make HUD graphics at whatever resolution you want, it's fairly easy to scale them down to fit a certain space on the HUD with the TEXTURES lump. :)

If you're asking if we might expand the actual size of the HUD face graphic, then it's unlikely we'll do that. Especially just width-wise - he's meant to be a square, after all. :P

Nothing to stop you making those edits yourself, though. ;)
TehRealSalt
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TehRealSalt »

I loved the old 3-level demo to death, and I love the Squareware Episode even more! Here's some fan-art I sketched out and colored in about 15min using MS Paint.

Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Them eyebrows. I'm squa... err, scared!
Insert MS PAIN joke here.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

:shock:...

*MSFAITNED*
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Cruisin', taking in the atmosquare with the help of some sound font magic.
TehRealSalt

Post by TehRealSalt »

Speaking of soundfont magic, what soundfont was Square's music developed with? I know there are several composers, so they all probably did with something a little different, but I'd just like to know what would be the best soundfont to use in Square. So far, I've been alternating between General User GS, SC-55, and SGM V2.01.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

TehRealSalt wrote:Speaking of soundfont magic, what soundfont was Square's music developed with? I know there are several composers, so they all probably did with something a little different, but I'd just like to know what would be the best soundfont to use in Square. So far, I've been alternating between General User GS, SC-55, and SGM V2.01.
i'd say that in about 95% of the case, every MIDI is developed with the Roland Sound Canvas sound in mind, or the Microsoft Synth. the 5% is when there's those that are designed with something else in mind, or they just sound better period than the Microsoft Synth. you won't get terrible results when you use a soundfont, but usually, you get an inaccurate result of what the artist originally intended the piece to sound like. happens to me all the time when i make my MIDIs, and i've done about... ehh, lets say maybe 200+ right now?
MTrop

Post by MTrop »

Jimmy would be able to elucidate better than I can, but all of the music was made using the basic Roland set in Windows, using FMOD as the mixer (in order to have a base consistency). I personally use FluidSynth with the SGM-v201 soundfont and it sounds amazing.

But yeah, Roland + FMOD as a base for dev for the most part.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

MTrop's correct.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

now i'm wondering, if this game is all-squarely fairly all-finished along with musics as well, i hope you creator folks can make it's own official soundtrack. for free or sale, whatever you folks want! and record them with the best soundfont, of course.
TehRealSalt

Post by TehRealSalt »

TehRealSalt wrote:I loved the old 3-level demo to death, and I love the Squareware Episode even more! Here's some fan-art I sketched out and colored in about 15min using MS Paint.

Okay okay, enough foolin'. Here's some REAL fan-art.

I love the cylinder-bot so much, I wanted to make some fan-pixel art of him.

(EDIT: Just some additional clarification; not trying to get this in Square. In retrospective, it seems like I posted this with that intention; not the case. I'm just a pixel artist and I wanted to give you guys fan art.)
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

tbh, that Square isn't too bad for being something thrown together in such a short amount of time. that Cylon is really cool, though.
Vader

Post by Vader »

Wow, gave the squareware version a go yesterday and got up to level 8... this is a true piece of art!
I love the simple yet effective art style, the cheesy puns and of course the voice acting :D
Map-design is top notch as well and a lot of fun most of the time, my favorite maps so far are the canyon (third one IIRC) and Geometropolis.
Also really digging the monster-design and their sounds... The Cylonder must be my favorite with the Jetpack-jerk as a close second. The latter one is just so hilarious, I had a hard time not falling off my chair laughing when I first heard it :P

One thing that slightly botheres me is that all those gooey bits of killed enemies disappear after a short time... I guess this was done because of performance, but IMO it would be so much more statisfying to able to take a look at the mess you just produced without having to hurry. I think at the very least the helmets of the Cannon-jerks should stay.

Some other minor nitpicks:
- something about the quad-shotgun seems strange; shouldn't the small aiming-thing (can't remember what it is called ATM) that pops out on the end of the barrel point left/right according to the position of the barrel. Right now they always point up and that doesn't seem right to me
- all of the basic shape actors, including Square himself, look a little too broad in their 2/8 and 4/6 angles IMO. Just freeze the game and circle around one of those and you'll notice that the difference between the front/back frame and the ones I mentioned above is only very subtle, while the difference between the 2/8 (4/6) frames to the side view (3/7) is huge
-Cows... heh am I missing something? Maybe some kind of internal joke? I'm not really complaining, just wondering why they are found in almost every map

Keep it up, can't wait to see what else is coming :)
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

The cows are eerie, creepy monsters. They never blink. They never die.
"Moo."
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

and i can smell that they're worshiping the most strongest and biggest one of all time. and i'm not gonna tell that's true or false. ;)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”