world war Z styled doom book idea

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
demo_the_man

world war Z styled doom book idea

Post by demo_the_man »

I was doing a little bit of creative writing for a class, and i had this idea for a world war z style doom book, with a person interviewing survivors of doom2/1. I just wondered if anyone has a good idea.

This is what ive come up with so far
Chapter 1
forward (one refrence to the doomguy, though his commanding officer.)
As I walk into the courtyard of the military prison, and sit down at a chair facing a one way sheet of glass. On the other side sits former general(Name undetermined) So, another person has come to sneer at me for what I did. Its just so typical of you Americans to hate anyone who does wrong by your eyes. We were going to be overrun with those protestors, so I gave the order to open fire on them. Then I felt a sensation like a sledge hammer hitting me in the back of the head. One of the marines that were in the command center had decided that the best course of action was to take command by force to prevent civilian casualties. I blacked out after that, to wake up in a hospital bed, after being in a coma for 3 weeks and paralyzed from the chest down. He points towards his legs for emphasis. Next thing I knew I was being rolled in a wheelchair towards a military tribunal witness stand. I stated that yes the marine in question had attempted to remove me from command by force, and that I was medically diagnosed with lower spinal paralysis.

Chapter 6

As i walk into the room, Brigadier Colonel Hendrickson motions me toward a seat across from him at the Cafe table.
So you came to ask me about the re-taking of Phobos. I was a captian, and had command of the 109 heavy drop marines. We were being rotated from mars back to earth. I was called to the bridge by the ships captain at 200 hours, and received the news that Deimos had dissapeared from martian orbit. A marine detachment had been sent to Phobos after a distress call. The marines were massacred by what appeared to be the base security. The one survivor had managed to send a weak call from the labs dish, stating that the base had been overwhelmed by the forces of hell, and he was going to proceed though the portal in the anomaly research facility.

We were ordered to re-take the facility, to assure the people of earth that the worlds army's had the situation under control. When we were within sight-line of Phobos, the cruiser opened the hangar doors and we were away. I was in the lead drop-ship, as the cruiser was not equipped for orbital drop. It all went to hell when the base anti air defenses opened up when we were in range. We lost one of the engineering platoons, and the main anti tank fire team. The cruisers captain, that magnificent bastard, moved the cruiser into the second salvo of anti aircraft fire to keep us alive. It was eerily quiet in the hangar. We established defensive positions, and prepared to advance into the nuclear plant to cut the power to the air defenses to allow reinforcements to land. I was in one of the drop ships, screaming at some dumbass colonel that refused to send reinforcements to the base, as all units that were essential were detailed to prevent another event like Phobos.

About ten minutes later forward recon made contact with the first group of possessed. Imminently I ordered 3 squads and a engineering team to go and shut down air defenses. Thats when the perimeter teams began reporting lots of contacts. Later we found out that it was the demons attempting to counter attack, as the portal was apparently wired into the air defense electrical systems, which prevented further reinforcements from their dimension. Thats probably what saved us, from being overrun like other units on earth. We found out about the invasion of earth and were ordered to finish clearing out the base, and prepare to receive refugees. The base was pretty depopulated after that one massive attack, which made clean up and Battlefield sanitation easier. About a week later the first of a flood of refugees and wounded grunts began to arrive. Even though the demons were dead, the nightmare had just began.

Comments and criticism are welcome.
Last edited by demo_the_man on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Seidolon

Re: world war Z styled doom book idea

Post by Seidolon »

Sounds interesting. But in what way will it be world war z styled?
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

Its a collection of fictional interviews, of different people that survived doom 1/2. Scientists on mars, marines, civilians, and a former zombieman that managed to get sprayed by a water pistol filled with holy water, that unpossed him.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

That sounds really cool. I'd be interested in reading it.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

thanks, i thought it would be an interesting take on doom to not give it a story, but to tell the individual stories of multiple survivors.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

demo_the_man wrote:a former zombieman that managed to get sprayed by a water pistol filled with holy water, that unpossed him.
+

an overworked priest and deacon, along with their very large, burly, baton-wielding acolytes, at an infirmary/chapel that specializes in treating the possessed (and their special "zombie hunter" van)

the lawyer for the doomguy who is now being sued by the families of various zombified people for negligently killing them when they could have been saved

various marines and epidemiologists commenting on whether doomguy's actions were correct
mallo

Post by mallo »

That was a thing in Doom RPG II, wasn't it?
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

Im going to leave the doomguy out of , becuase i dont want to name him. Also, the church idea is really good.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

demo_the_man wrote:Im going to leave the doomguy out of , becuase i dont want to name him. Also, the church idea is really good.
The thing about writing Doom fiction is that it's hard to make any convincing story around "Doomguy." That's why, in my own interpretations, I pretend he never existed. Every individual scenario is a different guy with different origins and different motivations for going through what they're going through.

I've always been interested in trying to compose fiction in the form of a collection of compiled documents, though. A non-Doom story of mine was planned around the entire thing just being a bunch of emails, internal memos, news articles, chat logs, and transcripts compiled before and after a given disaster took place, and it is up to the reader to draw their own picture of exactly what happened with the information they have at hand. Of course, said idea never really got much writing done to it, but then Analogue: A Hate Story came out, and that was almost the same sort of idea with a better framing story around it...
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Well, if you reject the run-and-gun physics of the game and suppose that he got real lucky, had some backup from other forces at play and was able to sneak past a lot of the resistance (instead of said resistance instantly knowing his exact location at all times like he were Frodo wearing the Ring and all the orcs were mini-Nazgûl), there are people IRL who may well have gone through worse. (the hellspawn don't even have proper artillery, toxic gas or WMD...)
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

i was planning to give the zombies some of their former intelligence, so they could operate artillery, the demons possessing them don't use it simply because they don't have the networking capability's to call in artillery.

Return to “Off-Topic”