GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action (last post here 4-18-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Combine_Kegan

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.7]

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Crudux Cruo wrote:Ah, i see, thanks for clearing that up. fun mod honestly, would love to see new/improved subweapons. still think there should be weapon upgrades, but oh well. (yes im aware of the R button, but still.)
Funny you should mention that. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the usable subitems are being removed and in their place, I'll have passive upgrades that change how the primary weapons work. The armor amulet is also being retooled as a passive item that grants the hero the chance to fire out a shockwave whenever they're hurt, enemies hit with this shockwave will either be pushed back sharply, or left in a temporary dazed state. I'm probably gonna bring back the gauntlet of wrath in some way too, as well as that mage circlet I had.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

oh sweet, cant wait! i've been wanting passive upgrades for a long time now
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

I don't think you can embed webms here so let me start off by

Linking a video of Blaz's new sword sprites which I'm currently working on

I've also got some pretty important gameplay changes coming in the near future:

*POW for subweapons will be taken if you get melee'd or shot with wyvern flames, homing revenant boners, Mage Gunner charge shots/missiles, and other future monsters with powerful projectiles

*Item crashes will consume a new resource, and this resource's max limit can be raised from backpacks. Shield dashing will still use arcane energy because you gotta go fast.

*The powered sword attack is going to get buffed slightly

*Wimpy boomerang sword throws are probably going to be removed, super homing throws will become the new powered sword utility.

*almost all usable sub items will be removed in favor of stage-long passive upgrades, except for the hammer, that's banging as shit and it'll become a special subweapon, the POW giver will remain too

*Shining knight will become a usable sub item that replaces the BFG, will be changed to slowly drain arcane energy and will be cancelable in the future

also I've been mulling over on what I want the pain elemental replacement to be, which lead me to a winged slime that flies around and drops little slimelets on you. When "killed" it loses the wings and chases after you, every time it flinches in the wingless state, it scatters more slimlings so weak rapid fire weaponry would be a bad idea. After a set time it'd either regrow its wings and full HP, or maybe split into two slimes with the new one having full HP.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Sounds pretty fun and the new sword looks nice as well. I like sub-weapons though, so not sure about the change until I play the next release, but should be fine I guess.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Hetdegon wrote:Sounds pretty fun and the new sword looks nice as well. I like sub-weapons though, so not sure about the change until I play the next release, but should be fine I guess.
The sub weapons are staying, sub items (Porta chest, porta cube, crash hammer, armor amulet, etc) are going to be removed.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

...damn I got that completely wrong, derp. Even better then! While they were fun to have only the hammer saw real use (and maybe the amulet).
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

Any gothic/medieval map suggestions for using this? It's super fun.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Echelon5 wrote:Any gothic/medieval map suggestions for using this? It's super fun.
I'm actually curious if "A Hex On You" works very well with this mod.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

So if you're removing the power throw from the normal sword, how will we get our daily dose of Sir Fistikowicz? I enjoy punching things from time to time.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Triple S wrote:So if you're removing the power throw from the normal sword, how will we get our daily dose of Sir Fistikowicz? I enjoy punching things from time to time.
Read again. The weak short ranged boomerang throw will get removed. The crazy homing throw most people use will become the new utility action for the powered sword, as in the zoom button
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Combine_Kegan wrote:
Triple S wrote:So if you're removing the power throw from the normal sword, how will we get our daily dose of Sir Fistikowicz? I enjoy punching things from time to time.
Read again. The weak short ranged boomerang throw will get removed. The crazy homing throw most people use will become the new utility action for the powered sword, as in the zoom button
I know the weak throw is being removed, you don't need to tell me that. In fact I even specifically noted that the power throw is being removed from the normal sword. Because the powered sword works a fair bit differently, I felt at the time of posting that it was still in the air as to if it would:

a) Return to you after it is done, still in powered sword form;
b) Return to you after it is done, but in normal sword form;
c) Does not return to you until you hit R, and when you do it returns to you as the powered sword;
d) Does not return to you until you hit R, and when you do it returns to you as the normal sword. <--- Current functionality

I suppose I should have just assumed it would act exactly like before rather than assume it would act any different.

Also I use the weak throw from time to time to save energy, because it costs a fair bit to retrieve. Though, it really isn't too hard to get that energy back for how insanely powerful it is, so I suppose there's no sense doing that.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

wildweasel wrote:
Echelon5 wrote:Any gothic/medieval map suggestions for using this? It's super fun.
I'm actually curious if "A Hex On You" works very well with this mod.
What is that and where can I get it? I'm very interested. o.o
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Hexen, or any other of maps for hexen From doomworld idgames.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Triple S wrote:
Combine_Kegan wrote:
I know the weak throw is being removed, you don't need to tell me that. In fact I even specifically noted that the power throw is being removed from the normal sword. Because the powered sword works a fair bit differently, I felt at the time of posting that it was still in the air as to if it would:

a) Return to you after it is done, still in powered sword form;
b) Return to you after it is done, but in normal sword form;
c) Does not return to you until you hit R, and when you do it returns to you as the powered sword;
d) Does not return to you until you hit R, and when you do it returns to you as the normal sword. <--- Current functionality

I suppose I should have just assumed it would act exactly like before rather than assume it would act any different.

Also I use the weak throw from time to time to save energy, because it costs a fair bit to retrieve. Though, it really isn't too hard to get that energy back for how insanely powerful it is, so I suppose there's no sense doing that.
Yeah, once I get this shit sorted out, the power sword throw will behave like it currently does where it flies around, bursts, and doesn't return til you beat the stage or hit R if you got the energy for it, and really the weak throw feels really unnecessary with that crazy homing throw.

I guess that's my fault for not explaining that, sorry, I'm starting to realize I'm pretty poor at doing that, hence why playing as Lord Blaz is obtuse as all hell.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

I don't like doubleposting but I feel this one is kind of important:
Spoiler:
That's right. The shield will not be returning from v0.9.8 and onwards.

Why? Because I've never been satisfied with its implementation in Lord Blaz's subweapon arsenal, the defensive aspect was useful but having invuln on demand was pretty game breaking even by GMOTA's standards, what with having life steal on demand with the powered arm cannon and being able to clear rooms damn near effortlessly.

HOWEVER. The goddess bracelet is coming back, and I'm giving it a few new tweaks and buffs, for example, here's a peek at how the POW'd up psycho cannon will behave.

It'll still retain it's projectile-destroying ability as well, so it remains a defensive weapon and I personally feel it's more natural compared to raising a shield to block shit. At least for Blaz.

I'm not sure when I'll be releasing v0.9.8, I still have some more monsters I'd like to implement beforehand, seeing as I technically only have 2 more version releases before I hit 1.0.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”