Hocusdoom RELEASED (/idgames pending)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Combine_Kegan

Re: Hocus Doom

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Hocus Doom got an update?

YAHOO
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

unf!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

ravage wrote:Happy 2015! I apologize for such a delay,
I love you!

One thing I'd like to mention though: The hud hands (weapon) are very large when you fire and even reach the middle of the screen, hiding a lot of things going on while shooting and that's definitely a problem in many battles I've encountered.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Quick technical feedback, a.k.a. changes I made on my own which I find cool:
Spoiler:
Result of these changes: the alt hud's score indicator, if enabled, works. And with the secret indicator showing the treasures, it becomes pretty neat.
ravage

Post by ravage »

I did not know +COUNTSECRET existed. That's quite handy. I had been meaning to switch the score variables to the actual score, but hadn't got to it yet. Keep in mind that quite a bit of that was written before APROP_Score was even a thing.
Gez

Post by Gez »

By the way, I noticed a shrub that's not in the right place on the first map:
Look in the tower's windows...

Another problem I've noticed: go right next to a wall (so that you touch it on your side) but aim at some point along the wall. Your shots will be blocked by the wall, even though the wall isn't on the trajectory. Here's an example. The particles show the shot exploded right when it spawned. Probably because the bounding box for the shots is so much larger than that for the player...

Another problem: when starting MAP03: Moonlit Halls, I don't get any music for some reason -- changemus says "no music playing" and I have to type changemus m_night to get what should be playing.
ravage

Post by ravage »

Gez wrote:By the way, I noticed a shrub that's not in the right place on the first map:
Look in the tower's windows...
Fixed!
Gez wrote: Another problem I've noticed: go right next to a wall (so that you touch it on your side) but aim at some point along the wall. Your shots will be blocked by the wall, even though the wall isn't on the trajectory. Here's an example. The particles show the shot exploded right when it spawned. Probably because the bounding box for the shots is so much larger than that for the player...
That was a compromise because of how difficult enemies are to hit--but yeah that is annoying. I may revert that change and make them smaller. They do still have a slight homing effect to help.
Gez wrote: Another problem: when starting MAP03: Moonlit Halls, I don't get any music for some reason -- changemus says "no music playing" and I have to type changemus m_night to get what should be playing.
I actually have no clue why that happens. I can't reproduce it (with the mp3 pk3 or base midis)
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

I understand the possible reasons for it - but keeping the black outline IMHO is a wrong decision visually.
EksFaktr

Post by EksFaktr »

So glad to see this project has not gone the way of the dildo. Dodo. What'd I say?

That said, I can't WAIT to see a finished first episode. Do you have any ideas for how you're going to handle the bosses yet? I remember the boss levels being interminably frustrating as a kid. Hell, I still! haven't gone back to the game because of that.
ravage

Post by ravage »

EksFaktr wrote:So glad to see this project has not gone the way of the dildo. Dodo. What'd I say?

That said, I can't WAIT to see a finished first episode. Do you have any ideas for how you're going to handle the bosses yet? I remember the boss levels being interminably frustrating as a kid. Hell, I still! haven't gone back to the game because of that.
They're going to be used somewhat the same, though they will have alternate attacks as well. I have to tailor the levels to better suit them. Weapon powerups will help immensely as well. :D
Gez

Post by Gez »

The small island with the red crystal ball has its texture scrolling like the lava around. Doesn't look like it's intended.

Also noticed an odd texture cutoff here in MAP06:

Finishing the levels under par with all monsters killed and all treasures found (getting the triple bonus) is really getting hard by the way.
ravage

Post by ravage »

Gez wrote:The small island with the red crystal ball has its texture scrolling like the lava around. Doesn't look like it's intended.
Fixed.

Gez wrote: Also noticed an odd texture cutoff here in MAP06:
Heh, I actually just fixed that one last night. :D
Gez wrote: Finishing the levels under par with all monsters killed and all treasures found (getting the triple bonus) is really getting hard by the way.
There were quite a few levels where my time was half the minimum time, so just keep trying. I haven't finalized the times so I may tweak them if some are too close (or not even set yet)
ravage

Post by ravage »

Figured I'd throw out a quick update that fixes a few things.

Current playable demo for 02-01-2015
Mp3 versions of music
  • made player shots smaller so you could shoot alongside walls easier
  • added better support for althud, thanks to Gez
  • changes to map01 and map02 to make them a little easier (also map02 had no mushroom chargers)
  • lowered weapon sprites so they didn't obstruct your view too much
  • made power shot sprites smaller for the same reason (they should stay fairly large though)
  • added speed/jump boost floors
  • fixed some minor things in most of the maps
  • used a different method for the ladders in map10. No longer uses swimmable 3d floors (no way around reverb effect and using ThrustThingZ works better)
  • changed weapon sprites yet again. Not quite as in the way now (and is almost pointing now)
  • made the rapidfire less powerful (overlapping shots). In turn nerfed many mass ambush areas to compensate. They're not as grindy anymore.
  • Super Health Potions will now give you 20 health (with sbarinfo updated to represent it as gold hearts atop of the red hearts :D
  • Heart icons updated to be less ugly
  • added +GHOST to monsters and +THRUGHOST to projectiles so now they are no longer impeded by other monsters. (like in the original game)
  • added the 10 story pages. Put them at the end of the help screens because I don't know if you can define a totally separate set of help pages
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Wooohooo!
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Save your whoohoos, something got broken. :V In the latest devbuild of GZDoom(I just downloaded it, so it's the latest, I'm sure), I get this error.

Code: Select all

Script error, "hocus_beta05212014.pk3:d_particle.txt" line 75:
'user_angle' is already defined in 'MagicPoofSmall' or one of its
ancestors.
And the game goes kaput. :(

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”