Reasonably priced earphone

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
adx

Reasonably priced earphone

Post by adx »

My dog played with my earphone that came with my Sony Digital Music Player, and you might already know the outcome of the said incident.
I'm looking for a replacement in stores in mall and a bit surprised that most of reasonably priced [cheap] brand offers earphone with EXTRA BASS, SUPER BASS and all kinds of BASS name they could come up which produces sound that kinda good on some music but sounds bad on others.

So now, I might resort to buying online if I couldn't find a store that offers a earphone that produces sound with no such thing. (Though I'll still try looking at other malls close in my area)

I just want a earphone with plain (default?, what do you call them nowadays) sound. I dont want bass, if I want extra bass I could just adjust the equalizer.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Reasonably priced earphone

Post by Zanieon »

Image they refers for it's because the earphone actually hold a great range of frequency (most of them are 10~22000Hz) others than that don't take this range making the music distort a bit due to cannot reproduce some frequencies.

Actually any earphone you buy, it's "normal" that is what you want.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I don't use earphones, but I use headphones a lot (I even have a slight indentation on my scalp from excessive use of headphones. Just the fat, nothing bad). But generally, driver size is what produces the quality 'bass' that you might hear. Now, earphones are small - so I don't think you'll get the Boomy-bass you're looking for. But as Revilution said - you might find one or two that can PRODUCE the low ends, but not make them.. resonate as much as you'd like.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Earbud guy here myself. I normally prefer Skullcandy for "cheap+decent sound". Recently got turned onto the Monoprice 108320's, and I'm loving them so far. The regular tips suck, so I'm waiting for some foam ones, but the sound itself is great, and they're SUPER cheap. It says "enhanced bass", but it's actually really balanced.

What's nice is that they have a little "mod" you can do if the bass is too weak for your tastes. They normally have an "open" soundstage, but there's a tiny hole you can cover with tape that increases isolation and makes the bass a little more pronounced.

My only complaint is they're shaped a little weird, but you get used to them easily.

8-)
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Caligari_87 wrote:Earbud guy here myself. I normally prefer Skullcandy for "cheap+decent sound". Recently got turned onto the Monoprice 108320's, and I'm loving them so far. The regular tips suck, so I'm waiting for some foam ones, but the sound itself is great, and they're SUPER cheap. It says "enhanced bass", but it's actually really balanced.

What's nice is that they have a little "mod" you can do if the bass is too weak for your tastes. They normally have an "open" soundstage, but there's a tiny hole you can cover with tape that increases isolation and makes the bass a little more pronounced.

My only complaint is they're shaped a little weird, but you get used to them easily.

8-)
Monoprice is pretty great. i've been using a pair of Monoprice 8323 headphones, and the sound quality of those were better than what you'd get from a 150 dollar Audio-Technica pair. and no, that's not an exaggeration, i tested them both to hear for myself. i guess the only problem about them is that they seem less robust than the 150 dollar pair does, but as long as you don't handle them roughly they should last a good while. and yeah, the sound is really balanced for the price, actually. the bass for my headphones are kind of mid-rangey, but the sound is crystal clear for what cost me maybe 23 dollars to buy.
adx

Post by adx »

Caligari_87 wrote:I normally prefer Skullcandy for "cheap+decent sound"
The SKullcandy i found sold on store doesn't look cheap and decent to me.
Price is about 100+ if converted to USD, though I like them. They're comfy and doesn't easily fall off on your ear.

Anyways, I bought this

It seems to me that its hard to find normal earphones sold in store nowadays. As this one I bought still has bass.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Isn't "normal" what is typically called audiophile?
Medicris

Post by Medicris »

Think I've read that most people prefer a neutral, full sound, weirdly enough. Wouldn't say that's an audiophile-only thing.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Reasonably-priced, well-balanced phones? Do you mind if they're over-ear headphones, by chance? Because I absolutely swear by these for home use, and they're ridiculously affordable, even at MSRP. Their bass output is great for action games, and the rest of the ranges don't suffer for it.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I use House of Marley earbuds when I'm out and about. They're typically about twenty bucks if you get one that doesn't have those iPod controls on the chord (which I like since it means they can just hang from the neck of my shirt without stopping and starting the audio apps on my phone, draining battery and making me lose my place in all my podcasts...) and the sound is good without any of that XXXTRA BASSSS stuff.

At home I use wireless USB headphones because I'm a huge idiot.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

adx wrote:
Caligari_87 wrote:I normally prefer Skullcandy for "cheap+decent sound"
The SKullcandy i found sold on store doesn't look cheap and decent to me.
Price is about 100+ if converted to USD, though I like them. They're comfy and doesn't easily fall off on your ear.
I'm speaking of the Skullcandy "Ink'd" earbuds. They run about $15 USD in most stores and work really well with foam tips. Sound quality is decent enough for budget.

After finding the Monoprice ones though, I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon. These are awesome.

8-)
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

I think my headphones have become permanently attached to my head.

Return to “Off-Topic”