[WIP] Batman Doom Patch for ZDoom/Skulltag (0.4)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom Patch for ZDoom/Skulltag (0.4)

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ah, don't mind me. My feelings damage easy. You did nothing wrong. It's just that I often feel like my efforts go completely unrecognized or unacknowledged.

I'm not exactly... actively involved in this project. My revisions (including this mod and a couple hundred others) are accessible from a link on my profile. I don't openly advertise them much, as I don't frequently seek explicit permission for many of them, and am always uncertain about crossing boundaries.

You'd me more than welcome to build upon what I did, though it was admittedly not a major change, and it would seem you've achieved most of the same on your own already, which is great; this project really should have had them from the beginning.

Don't be concerned about ZMAPINFO; it's simply a small matter of semantics. Nothing has been lost or harmed, there.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Phew Ed, I was thinking "I've done something wrong, now there are a bunch of foes arguing me with a shotgun"! :lol:
Why don't you cross this boundary and join with me this patch for Batman Doom? I know there could be more things to do. Also I must get back to work for Gore, that project is my "primary objective" to complete. Thankx for your undestanding, too.
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I've always been afraid to work too publicly on what others have done; I don't personally agree that "It's Better to Beg for Forgiveness than to Ask for Permission".

I feel like I've already made most of the changes that I had wanted to (my general objective is to fix bugs and warnings, update broken/deprecated features, and so on), but you're more than welcome to use anything I've done, and I'd be happy to help fix bugs if you happen to find any more and need to call on me. And take your time, naturally; I know GORE is your main focus right now.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Ed the Bat wrote:I've always been afraid to work too publicly on what others have done; I don't personally agree that "It's Better to Beg for Forgiveness than to Ask for Permission".

I feel like I've already made most of the changes that I had wanted to (my general objective is to fix bugs and warnings, update broken/deprecated features, and so on), but you're more than welcome to use anything I've done, and I'd be happy to help fix bugs if you happen to find any more and need to call on me. And take your time, naturally; I know GORE is your main focus right now.
OMG! I've just take a look to your site and I discover now that you are the one that has built Army Of Darkness! How beautiful it was, filled with skeletons and taurs spreading all over the maps! ...uhm also there is a fix for Ghostbusters... in the future I'm planning to do some "Ghostbusters - Reborn" project... BTW this is also an hint for what I wish to do with these patches for Batman Doom... :mrgreen:
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Oh hold on now, I didn't create these from scratch! These are revised versions of others' works (or add-on patches, when that's possible). I provide links to the originals (except when they seem to be lost...), because I want to make sure full credit and acknowledgement is given to the creators.

It's just that, often, there are bugs or incomplete features (such as defining weapons in KEYCONF, as we've recently discussed :P) that prevent me from doing some things, like adding extra player/weapon mods on top. I just felt that, if I'm going to spend the effort to fix them, I should make the fruits of my labors available. Sometimes there are others who want what I wanted, but couldn't do what I did.

I agree that Army of Darkness was a fun mod, but I couldn't possibly try to take credit for it. I'm certainly not creative enough.
Ozymandias81

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom Patches for GZDoom v0.6 r240115

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Oh yes, now I am officially involved on Batman Doom patches! I've done some changes using latest versions of Evil Space Tomatoes patches, and here you are what's changed:

==OZYMANDIAS81 CHANGES==
-Version 0.7 Easy Version-
Added NOJUMP & NOCROUCH for being more faithful to original Batman Doom (thankx to Ed The Bat);
Added GLDefs for Penguin Robots, Terrorists, Shotgun/GangWar Thieves, RocketMan;
Fixed GLDefs for BatDoomChandelier (now fits very well), added for WallLamp;
Fixed Flameman & Sniper GLDefs, now they're directly inherited via DECORATE (thankx to Tormentor667);
Fixed BatmanPlayer & many monsters collision using Scale properties through DECORATE scripting, now you can REALLY play without using crouch\noclip (thankx to Tormentor667 & ScubaSteve);
Fixed LANGUAGE lump, now clusterdefs are faithful to originals;

-Version 0.7 Plus Version-
Added GLDefs for Penguin Robots, Terrorists, Shotgun/GangWar Thieves, RocketMan;
Added new INTERPIC & CLUSTERPIC graphics;
Fixed a glitch with Scarecrow on map29: removed useless actor properties (AMBUSH & NOBLOOD);
Fixed GLDefs for BatDoomChandelier (now fits very well), added for WallLamp;
Fixed Flamemen & Sniper GLDefs, now they're directly inherited via DECORATE (thankx to Tormentor667);
Fixed BatmanPlayer & many monsters collision using Scale properties through DECORATE scripting, now you can REALLY play without using crouch\noclip (thankx to Tormentor667 & ScubaSteve);;
Fixed LANGUAGE lump, now clusterdefs are faithful to originals;

-Version 0.6, both Easy & Plus-
Added credits to Ed The Bat for his aid;
Easy patch now has NOJUMP allowed, if you prefer to remain faithful to original BD;
Some other small decorate repolishments;

-Version 0.5, both Easy & Plus-
Added 80% of GLDefs for GZDoom inside pk3s (you don't need extra files anymore);
Added Batarang pickup sprite inside SPRITES folder;
Added GAMEINFO for stylish banners at the start;
Added new MAPINFO + English LANGUAGE (maybe I'll do some translations in Italian & French languages)**;
Commented out Player.JumpZ, now you can jump & crouch at your risk***;
KEYCONF removed, playerclass in MAPINFO;
PK3'ed decorate scripts reordered & repolished;

TODO: No way to fix DEHACKED warnings/glitches unless original replaced inside the wad; remove decorate* & map warnings; fix that freezin' teleport glitch; add starting scripts to all maps; add some more particles fx like rain, cinders & smoke; add more sounds, like ambient sounds & SNDSEQ;

Credits:
Spoiler:
What's the difference between Easy and Plus patches?
Spoiler:

If you want to download Evil Space Tomato original patches, please go at the start of this thread.

Download Links:
Original BATMAN DOOM by ACE Team (from DoomWorld)
Batman Doom Easy Patch for GZDoom
Batman Doom Plus Patch for GZDoom

If you want to download Batman Doom: Reborn, please go to this thread instead (THREAD IS OPEN!)

*for decorate must fix inherithances correctly, can't be resolved only removing doomednums
**Open the console and see some credits please!
***The original WAD was intended for Vanilla Doom 2 only, you are free to roam with crouch+jump but in-game experience will result odd in many maps
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Good to see this getting some TLC.

As for the forum posts, the green is better than the yellow, but still not good.

Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Ozymandias81 wrote: ...uhm also there is a fix for Ghostbusters... in the future I'm planning to do some "Ghostbusters - Reborn" project...
Sweet.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Getting better and better though in my eyes, jump & crouch should be deactivated. It's not in the spirit of the original TC. BTW whats the difference between the Plus and Normal patch?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Some suggestions:
- Fuel Cans shouldn't glow green
- Fuel Can explosions are missing GLDEFs
- Pistol Ganngsters firing are missing GLDEFs when firing
- Collecting the Berserk Pack doesn't automatically switch to fist
- Playerclass is too tall, you can't enter some areas anymore without crouching (suggestion: keep viewheight as it is, make player as large as normal doomguy)
- Enhancement: What about replacing the doomguy sounds with better ones? (pain, death, etc)
- Fire objects need GLDEFs
- Enhancement: What about choosing a better background for the intermission texts? (or even a better smallfont that fits the rest)
- Chinese Melee monsters (the one with the too blades) seem too slow to me compared to the original Batman Doom (2x faster)
- Exploding Penguins need GLDEFs
- Fire-tossing enemies need GLDEFs (also their projectiles)
- Ammo Maxamount for tossable bombs is definitely too high I guess... I am at MAP19 now and have collected about 960 pieces.
- MAP31 isn't beatable anymore - maybe I did something wrong, but please anyone confirm this
- MAP32 has a HOM effect at the very start
- The Flamethrowerguys Idle GLDEFs are too large/bright and are glowing even when he's dead

...more to come as soon as I am finished :)
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

You could probably fix the viewheight with 2 tweaks; scale all the enemies by a small amount (.85/.9?), lower viewhight slightly and set playerheight to the original size. Requiring the player to crouch to enter doorways is awful. Maybe I'm alone, but I don't like the gldefs and glowing light... it ruins the feel of the project.

Also... the original mac version allegedly had a completely different attack for the moltov rednecks. Does anyone know what it was like and could it be recreated using ZDoom?
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Tormentor667 wrote:Some suggestions:
- Fuel Cans shouldn't glow green
- Fuel Can explosions are missing GLDEFs
- Pistol Ganngsters firing are missing GLDEFs when firing
- Collecting the Berserk Pack doesn't automatically switch to fist
- Playerclass is too tall, you can't enter some areas anymore without crouching (suggestion: keep viewheight as it is, make player as large as normal doomguy)
- Enhancement: What about replacing the doomguy sounds with better ones? (pain, death, etc)
- Fire objects need GLDEFs
- Enhancement: What about choosing a better background for the intermission texts? (or even a better smallfont that fits the rest)
- Chinese Melee monsters (the one with the too blades) seem too slow to me compared to the original Batman Doom (2x faster)
- Exploding Penguins need GLDEFs
- Fire-tossing enemies need GLDEFs (also their projectiles)
- Ammo Maxamount for tossable bombs is definitely too high I guess... I am at MAP19 now and have collected about 960 pieces.
- MAP31 isn't beatable anymore - maybe I did something wrong, but please anyone confirm this
- MAP32 has a HOM effect at the very start
- The Flamethrowerguys Idle GLDEFs are too large/bright and are glowing even when he's dead

...more to come as soon as I am finished :)
I know there are plenty o' things to do, thankx for your reply. I'll see what I can do in my best.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Tormentor667 wrote:Getting better and better though in my eyes, jump & crouch should be deactivated. It's not in the spirit of the original TC. BTW whats the difference between the Plus and Normal patch?
I've revamped the post in order to be more clear for this purpose. I've forgot to add explanations, thankx T667...
Also I've just modified Easy patch for people who wants to play Batman Doom faithfully. :rock:
Evil Space Tomato

Post by Evil Space Tomato »

You guys have my permission to take over the batman doom patch.
Just in case this has come up anywhere else, everything I release here I consider to creative commons attribution license (the one where you only need to give credit)

Also I cant seem to access Ozymandias81's drop box links. :(
RastaManGames

Post by RastaManGames »

Anyway author of patch need to fix player talles, because in more doorage player can stuck without sit down.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”