(PS2 ripping question) IRX, BNK, PMI?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Clownman

(PS2 ripping question) IRX, BNK, PMI?

Post by Clownman »

I'm having trouble trying to rip from Pac-Man World 2 as of now, I found out I can open the ISO file with 7zip. ((I do own the game mind you)) However inside the file itself there are a bunch of formats I have never heard of nor can I even open for that matter. (.IRX, .BNK, .PMI)

I heard somewhere that PMI is for textures in the game but I have no idea what BNK or IRX means. I'd really appreciate some help here considering I want to rip Pac-Man's Butt Bounce and Rev-Roll sounds in particular for a project of mine. Is there a program that can help me view this files at all or something?
Last edited by Clownman on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abbuw

Re: (PS2 ripping question) IRX, BNK, PMD?

Post by abbuw »

.BNK files are for the Bink video format, which many games use, I don't know what an .IRX file is, though.
Tristan885
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Tristan885 »

PSound can scan your whole ISO file or the game disc if you inserted it in your CD/DVD drive of your computer.
It will scan for the sounds in any kind of files. The tool can sometimes extract the sound files with it's original name of the file.
Last edited by Tristan885 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

abbuw wrote:.BNK files are for the Bink video format, which many games use, I don't know what an .IRX file is, though.
Are you sure about that? Most of the time when I see Bink videos, they're labeled as .BIK.
XanderK9
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by XanderK9 »

You are right. From what I have noticed this far on the net, .BNK are Wwise SoundBanks.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Tristan885 wrote:PSound can scan your whole ISO file or the game disc if you inserted it in your CD/DVD drive of your computer.
It will scan for the sounds in any kind of files. The tool can sometimes extract the sound files with it's original name of the file.
I did try that and when scanning the .ISO file it said it didn't recognize it, It gave me some sounds: ((If you count bits of static.)) Maybe I have to scan it to a CD in order to be read, I'll give that a try once I get on my desktop, My laptop sadly doesn't have a CD drive.

Anyways, I've also looked around for .PMI openers and can't find any results, There is one called "FileViewerPro" but it says I have to buy the full version just to view the files. :nope: Anyone know of a good program (that I can trust) to open these files? If I'm allowed to send a few of the textures I can I guess.
XanderK9 wrote:You are right. From what I have noticed this far on the net, .BNK are Wwise SoundBanks.
Can they be viewed with some sort of program at all?
XanderK9

Post by XanderK9 »

It's possible to extract the data with the help of tools, but I cannot say if they are universal. I have found this thread which may help you: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthre ... -bnk-files
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Just quietly, XanderK9, I don't think a 2002 PS2 game is going to use a 2007-ish audio middleware that never supported the PS2.
XanderK9

Post by XanderK9 »

Doubtful, indeed, but that was the only common hit this far (well, it's also being used with Austin Powers Pinball and Balls of Steel). Of course, there's always the case of different kind of files sharing the same extension.

Apparently, Bink use .BNK alongside of .BIK, but there's not a single reference about it in the RAD Video Tools and from other sources. Some says they did have succeeded converting .BNK files with it, unless they had the extension wrong or it's just renamed.
Clownman

Re: (PS2 ripping question) IRX, BNK, PMI?

Post by Clownman »

In reguards to the .PMI files (textures), Does anybody happen to know of a way to look into them at all? The only thing I found was this thing called "FileViewPro" which said it had to be paid for just to look into a PMI file.

The zip I'm attaching contains the contents of the directory called "Health Bar" found in what I assume is the folder for Pac-Man's model/animations. I would like to know if anyone recognizes this type of format because I sadly don't.
healthbar.zip
(7.72 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

XanderK9 wrote:Doubtful, indeed, but that was the only common hit this far (well, it's also being used with Austin Powers Pinball and Balls of Steel). Of course, there's always the case of different kind of files sharing the same extension.
Most likely it's just a coincidence; you can only get so many combinations of three-character extensions, after all.

Has anybody tried running a tool like Dragon UnPACKer's Hyperripper on the files? If the data within isn't compressed, it should help you find common formats like WAV or TGA.
XanderK9

Post by XanderK9 »

I tried Hyperripper and from other means and there was no hit, sadly. :(

However, are you sure they are texture files?
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

XanderK9 wrote:I tried Hyperripper and from other means and there was no hit, sadly. :(

However, are you sure they are texture files?
Very certain. There's a bunch of .PMI's within the games files, especially the folders containing the levels, each with usual textures names. (grass, leaves, water, ground, ect.) Plus they are even used for certain effects and objects like the fruit and Pac-Dots.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Hyperripper is no good with console games and their endian differences. Doubt you'll find a console game that uses WAV or TGAs. They are usually swizzled to a natively cacheable form (like 16 color paletted textures and various forms of 4-bit ADPCM). (You will have luck with hyperripper getting JPEGs out of GBA games though)

and before anyone asks, no, console games with PAKs are not id software paks so don't even try to use quake tools or dune 2 tools with them, ditto for WADs

and Pacman World 2 predates Wwise by many years, no goose chasing there.

You might want to look for tools dealing with Criware (NOTE: IT'S NOT FUCKING CRYTEK OR CRYENGINE) formats and packages instead. Lots of console games used them.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

What lei said. Also, pay close attention to the opening logos and copyright info when the game boots, because that may provide further clues. Especially if you see ADX and MpegSofdec logos.

Return to “Off-Topic”