Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

Post by Vostyok »

Some time in the next century, governments and world leaders embarked on the greatest and most terrible war in our history. Although brief, what started as a local war of attrition soon raged out of control. The weapons the armies of that time wielded were incredibly powerful, reducing much of the planet to cinders. People, cities, even whole continents ceased to exist in a mere few hours.
Not content with a life of toil working the dessicated soil, or a short one fighting in the militia, you are a scavenger, junker, Stalker. The names are many, but the profession remains the same - searching the lost remnants of the old world for whatever valuables you can find. The people around you fear you for what you are and what you may someday bring back. You are a thief, a scoundrel. Without you, humanity would starve. But remember that the old world will not give up it's treasures easily. Bringing back something worth the risk is a miracle. Coming back alive is a success. Everything else is fate.

Ashes is a Post-apocalypse themed Total conversion, designed to be run in the Gzdoom or Qzdoom ports, and includes support for either software or hardware options. Set decades after a worldwide catastrophe has reduced most of the country to toxic wasteland, the player takes on the role of a scavenger searching the ruins of "The City", a once thriving metropolis, for valuable items. Add bands of mutant cannibals, limited ammunition, and a mysterious group of gas-mask wearing para-military types prowling the rubble.

Heavily inspired by 90's FPS games, 80's post-apocalyptic movies, and a shit-ton of other references, Ashes will be designed to either run as a weapons mod, a map-pack, or as a full conversion, depending on the modules downloaded and run.

The first episode will follow the basic framework of Ultimate Doom - every weapon has been replaced up to plasma rifle, 8 new monsters, and a full custom soundtrack courtesy of PRIMEVAL of this very forum. The (planned) second episode will include a lot more content than the original Doom, but I wanted to put out a "shareware" episode to get some feedback.

Community notice - You can now preview and preorder the full soundtrack of this mod, composed by Primeval/John S. Weekley. It's in full mp3 quality, and sounds amazing!

DISCLAIMER: This mod is a homage to 80's movies, Doom online culture and modern PA fiction, with all that entails. As such some of the situations it portrays are mature in nature. The Ashes universe contains bloody graphic violence, references to drug abuse and cannibalism, and strong language. It's not a nice place to live.

Soundtrack link: https://johnsweekley.bandcamp.com/album ... -episode-1

You can now purchase the full episode 1 soundtrack here, in glorious high quality :)

New Screenshots - Episode One - These need to be updated
Spoiler:
Weapons & Equipment-
Spoiler:
Enemies and Hazards
Spoiler:
Releases - GO HERE FOR DOWNLOADS AND OTHER THINGS
Spoiler:
Last but not least, an actual freakin credits list! See the stars of the show here:
Spoiler:

And if anyone would like to get involved - feel free to drop me a PM. Further information and mod packs coming soon.
Last edited by Vostyok on Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 110 times in total.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Ashes - Post-apocalypse TC

Post by xenoxols »

Vostyok wrote:Ashes is a developing...
So are you Ashes?
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Hey, i liked those enemies. They got that Mad Max/Fallout vibe and they look great!

Anyway, welcome to the forums!
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

xenoxols wrote:
Vostyok wrote:Ashes is a developing...
So are you Ashes?
haha no, that is the name of the project. I was inspired by the song title "The Kingdom of Ashes", as in a world of ruins with no rulers.

The mad max vibe is something I want to bring across with the Sawed-off shotgun, but I also got influences from Book Of Eli, I Am Legend, and old RPG's like Gamma World and Mutant Epoch.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Well with that aside it it looks really good. Love the shotgun.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

This does look really good. I usually don't play with entirely new sprite and weapon sets but this one looks different! I'm already imagining playing it with stuff like open world Doom and Sgt's After the Holocaust. Love the M16A4 sprite.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Vostyok wrote:
The mad max vibe is something I want to bring across with the Sawed-off shotgun, but I also got influences from Book Of Eli, I Am Legend, and old RPG's like Gamma World and Mutant Epoch.
Behold RAGE: GZDoom Edition! :lol:

I really want to play this. Can't wait for the beta!
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Thank you for all the comments. This is actually my first public wad. My previous efforts (including "Borderline psychosis", which replaced everything except weapons and ammo with an axe wielding Mario, Superman or Homer Simpson) is not for the light of day, I'm afraid.

The After the Holocaust map was actually a big inspiration. I'm thinking of avoiding common wad staples (absurdly spacious sewers, warehouses, etc) with something more like Duke Nukem. There will be a level where you hop between sky scrapers, connected by bridges made of junk, leading to a fire escape into a deserted cinema (possibly based on a former workplace, haha).

I've added to spoiler to first post. I'll be adding backstory to enemies and weapons. Below is a preview of stars of the episode one, the cannibals.

These guys replace the Zombieman and Shotgunguy. One is a tough melee opponent who likes jumping down from small ledges and chases you around the map. The other (viewed from firing and diagonal) wields a shotgun and in the current build seems to like camping behind corners.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

jdredalert wrote: Behold RAGE: GZDoom Edition! :lol:

YES!!! Especially as Rage itself had the "DooM RooM" easter egg!
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Wait, is this a TC or weapon/enemies mod?
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

xenoxols wrote:Wait, is this a TC or weapon/enemies mod?
Depends how well the first episode works. I've got a lineup of 6 replaced weapons (all complete so far, except for a couple of frames that need redoing, and playtest balance), 6 monsters replaced, of which three are 50% done. Eventually 6 single/coop maps with 3 deathmatch maps will be the first "episode", with new sounds, props. textures and effects. Terrain effects like mud/water splashes, a radiation counter (like Half-life, but radiation will be rare with lingering/poison effects), flares for illumination, a portable medikit, grenades, automatic (but fast) reloads of weapons, similar to Alien Trilogy or Duke Nukem's pistol. I've actually got quite a lot done already, once I've finished the enemies and weapons lineup, I'll have a demo map of the first level. I'll be sticking with the same format as DooM for Episode 1, replacing weapons and enemies found in "knee deep in the dead" ,so if you warp e2 you'll be using my m16 and colt45 but facing cacodemons and lost souls still :roll: . But the eventual plan is a complete overhaul to fit the new setting.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Vostyok wrote: playtest balance
Please, i volunteer! :P

EDIT - Also, i've got at least the flares you need already done (a modified version of the ones made by Scalliano that i used on Kontra Kommando's Aliens: The Ultimate Doom TC). Tell me if you want those. :P
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

I never actually saw the flares in the Aliens TC :oops: . Do you have an example .PNG? I'm trying to decide what items will replace which powerups, without adding completely new spawns - I liked the old Shrak and Malice total conversions of quake for the fact that they replaced everything, rather than just adding new content, which made them backwards compatible with the original maps.

I'll be adding some jury-rigged weapons, such a gas-propelled speargun. I WAS deliberating in adding a flare gun to launch the flares with with, but this is kinda overdone. What does everyone think?

-Also I've added spoilers for the first few weapons and a new enemy; the Trash Lurker. These guys act like a more... cautious ... version of the Heretic Undead Warrior, but he has a surprise built into his Spawn state - possibly based on all the junk he keeps heaped on his back :twisted:
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Sure thing. Here's how the flares look like:
Spoiler:

You can always modify the color and the radius size of it.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

i love the shit outta the edits to those gun sprites, great job!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”