ZKVN - Visual Novel Engine for ZDoom

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
The Zombie Killer

ZKVN - Visual Novel Engine for ZDoom

Post by The Zombie Killer »

What is ZKVN?
ZKVN is an easy to use visual novel engine for ZDoom and GZDoom. Zandronum 2.0 is supported as well, however automatic word wrap is not supported.
Rather than regular ACS, ZKVN is written in C, and compiled using DavidPH's GDCC.

ZKVN started development as the visual novel system for HDoom, and eventually branched off into its own project, that could be used for other mods as well. Therefore, without HDoom, ZKVN wouldn't exist.
Be sure to check out HDoom if you don't mind seeing demon ladies in lewd situations, it's very well done and the team are a great group of people. Once it starts to get its story going it's only going to get better.

For more information, check out the GitHub page

Stuff that's been added since 1.0
  • Like the use key, attack and alt attack can now advance dialogue
  • New "VN_HUD_WRAP_W" setting in language, for more control over word wrap
  • Ability to change UI and graphic positions on the fly
  • Ability to change the "fade time" for graphics
  • Automatic word wrap
  • Customizable graphic and UI sizes
  • Customizable graphic and UI positions
  • Voice acting support
  • Customizable colors for text
Stuff I'm hoping to add
  • Fade transitions for portraits if I can be bothered to implement it when I release 1.2
  • Ability to have two dialogue UI graphics, mainly for the RPG battle system that I MIGHT add to the project
  • A semi-working RPG battle system (maybe)
Where do I get it?
You can download ZKVN from its GitHub page below:
ZKVN on GitHub

Follow the instructions on the GitHub page in order to compile the source code and get a build.
Last edited by The Zombie Killer on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:52 am, edited 21 times in total.
Nash

Re: ZKVN - Visual Novel Engine for ZDoom

Post by Nash »

Sweet! I've always been thinking about using DECORATE and LANGUAGE to make user-editable quest and dialog systems, as well as an inventory system that won't require recompiling the core ACS... but I've never actually gotten around to write the code for it. Thanks for sharing! Maybe I can finally learn GDCC with this and make the painful switch... =D
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Whatever it is, it's generic and allows player to view character closeups/dialogue screens/images w/o the strife dialogue text background overlay to interfere. That's a good thing. Of course, if I missed something, feel free to provide feedback. A job well done, tzk.

Although don't look @ me for making a visual novel sample (can't write in that level)! I can only see that a certain image debriefing display of "key" items/words/etc will be generically useful. The best common use I could see in zdoom visual novel is aimed towards the character + dialogue. Yes, of course, someone will eventually point out the possibility of writing up a mature novel, but I can't say I care too much to think about contemporaries/best_sellers/etc. Typing in the early morn may not be a good/healthy thing.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I will have to look at this later. The thing looks promising to me, but I would like to ask, is it possible to pass text/the graphic names directly from decorate to the scripts as opposed to using the language lump?
The Zombie Killer

Nash wrote:Thanks for sharing! Maybe I can finally learn GDCC with this and make the painful switch... =D
No problem! And haha, you might wanna join #else#if on the EsperNet IRC, it's a very helpful place if you want to learn how to use GDCC
RV-007 wrote:A job well done, tzk.
Thanks!
zrrion the insect wrote:The thing looks promising to me, but I would like to ask, is it possible to pass text/the graphic names directly from decorate to the scripts as opposed to using the language lump?
Sadly not. If ACS scripts supported strings as parameters, then it would've been possible.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

The Zombie Killer wrote:Sadly not. If ACS scripts supported strings as parameters, then it would've been possible.
But they do. I use them all the time.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Ed the Bat wrote:
The Zombie Killer wrote:Sadly not. If ACS scripts supported strings as parameters, then it would've been possible.
But they do. I use them all the time.
Example?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Nash

Post by Nash »

Doesn't work through DECORATE...
Attachments
stringtest.wad
(643 Bytes) Downloaded 336 times
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

That's a shame. Though, it would seem to me that it has to be a limitation of DECORATE itself, since I've demonstrated that ACS, on its own, can certainly do it. After all, it's my understanding that every variable in ACS is an int, converted as necessary by the engine (floats being bit-shifted, and strings being matched up to an indexed list).

Incidentally, what did the string come out as for you? Mine said "compass", which I believe is referencing a bit of data from a mod that I have previously run (but wasn't running at the time); it's well known that ACS will spout garbage when it isn't finding the right string.
Nash

Post by Nash »

No text, it's just empty. If I open the console, I see a bunch of empty lines. I don't have anything autoloaded.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I had forgotten about my autoloads. My mistake. Still, it stands that the script is clearly not being given the correct string to show. In all honestly, I'm a little surprised it could come up blank, as opposed to just pulling any kind of random garbage. I once played a mod that had an indexing error in an array of strings, so when out of bounds, it would print "CAMTEX".

Normally, I would say it's worth making a feature suggestion that DECORATE be adjusted to allow passing strings, but I have no idea how simple or difficult that would be, if the devs would find it worth their time, or if it would be shunted aside anyhow since Doomscript is supposedly around the corner.
The Zombie Killer

v1.1 released. Check the OP for changelog.

Oh and for those that are curious to how much you can customize the engine without editing the source, check this out:
Spoiler:
The Zombie Killer

Nash

Post by Nash »

Congratulations! Always cool to see our little corner of game modding getting some outside exposure.

Return to “Resources”