I'm actually done with BD

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: I'm actually done with BD

Post by leileilol »

surely it wasn't The Running Man? Though unlikely the authors watched that.

I think the last time I played it (and stopped playing since, before the revelation) was a many years early version where the "FUCK YOURSELF" sounded extremely distorted (like 16-bit audio played directly as 8-bit without adjustment) as if it were compensating itself to be heard along with the player's expected-to-be-running nu metal replacement soundtrack.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

I found somthing intersting while browsing moddb, sgtmk4s last project , doom recurring nightmare. The name of it alone sufices the doom community in a nutshell. Its always someone that brings up collumbine, and now we can add brutal doom to the list of shit that just refuses to die. Ive notice that mk4 has stopped posting on the sites he was not banned from, and proto versoins of bd have stopped being uploaded. This could mean 4 things. 1 he has decieded to follow his own advice. 2 he has dropped off the grid, becuase the mob was after him. Or 3 and most likely he has dissapeared due to the collective scorn of the entire doom community.4 "shudders" he got hired by id to work on doom 4.

I think personally there should be a doom citation system, where to get your was uploaded, you have to fill out documentation of where your resources came from, ad who was the orginal author. This would prevent theft of peoples sprites like sgtmk4 did. ( apperntly he stole sprites from sgt shivers)

This is my opinoin, based on facts that ive heard. Do not take any of it as fact
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Demo: The person you would propose this suggestion to is Ty Halderman on the Doomworld forums.
Big C

Post by Big C »

leileilol wrote:surely it wasn't The Running Man? Though unlikely the authors watched that.

I think the last time I played it (and stopped playing since, before the revelation) was a many years early version where the "FUCK YOURSELF" sounded extremely distorted (like 16-bit audio played directly as 8-bit without adjustment) as if it were compensating itself to be heard along with the player's expected-to-be-running nu metal replacement soundtrack.
Yeah, that was the old old ooold version before Zero X. Diamond was recruited for the voice acting.

I feel sorry for Zero, on that note. He sounded like he was having a wonderful time doing Doomcomicguy's voicelines and Sarge turning out to be a horrible bastard must have been deeply uncomfortable. Zero deserves a better project leader for his talents.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

oh fuck no not another citation standard that we have to learn

it would just create a new layer of difficulty and a new thing for assholes to be snobbish about, and does nothing to actually cause people to give credit who would not do so anyway

just mod name and author internet handle and/or author name is plenty enough ID as it is
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm not entirely sure why but I have noticed a bit of a move away from idgames in recent years. A number of projects have either not been uploaded there, or were not uploaded there in the first instance and sometimes were not uploaded there by the original author. Making it harder to upload to idgames is likely to increase that trend. Similarly, if people are already uploading elsewhere, then idgames restrictions are not particularly relevant or helpful anyway. I don't recall where I got my copy of BD, but I don't think it was from idgames. I'm not even sure if it's on idgames.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Big C wrote:I feel sorry for Zero, on that note. He sounded like he was having a wonderful time doing Doomcomicguy's voicelines and Sarge turning out to be a horrible bastard must have been deeply uncomfortable. Zero deserves a better project leader for his talents.
I think he was also doing voice work for BlazingPhoenix's project, but sadly that one has sat so long untouched I don't think it's going anywhere.

I wonder if we should have a sticky in Resources where ZDoomers who voice-act can post samples and get noticed. I expect there's a lot of unused voice talent around!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

As an avid non-uploader to /idgames I've always considered it as something of an archive for "final" versions of things - and given how often I have to fix bugs or maintain things or add planned-but-previously-impossible features in light of (G)ZDoom updates there's simply no foreseeable "final" version. While I would like to use /idgames eventually, right now I just have a letter enclosed with my will telling my executor to /idgames the most recent version of HD after I'm dead.

I am almost certain, without looking, that BD is not on /idgames for similar reasons.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Vaecrius wrote:As an avid non-uploader to /idgames I've always considered it as something of an archive for "final" versions of things - and given how often I have to fix bugs or maintain things or add planned-but-previously-impossible features in light of (G)ZDoom updates there's simply no foreseeable "final" version.
This is precisely why, when I get bug reports on really old mods of mine, I usually do not go back to fix them; updating a file on /idgames is far more tedious than it really ought to be, compared to simply committing the changes to Github or updating a Dropbox download.
thesleeve

Post by thesleeve »

Hey Glaice,

I agree with most of your points. I enjoyed the added speed and enemy difficulty that BD brought to the table, but I really disliked resulting unbalancing and most of the aesthetic changes it made. I basically wanted a faster, more visceral experience without all of the bloat... And since BD was chock full of bloat, that basically meant I had to go into the wads and remove all of the crap I didn't like, which was incredibly tedious.

I'm just curious if you (or anybody else reading this thread) have any suggestions for gameplay mods that you are enjoying at the moment. I'm looking for something new to play, preferably something that brings a speed/difficulty boost along with it, while remaining pretty close to the original. Another way to phrase the question: Has anything filled the gap that BD left when you gave it up? Or have you just gone back to vanilla?

Thanks!
TheSleeve
Big C

Post by Big C »

thesleeve wrote: I agree with most of your points. I enjoyed the added speed and enemy difficulty that BD brought to the table, but I really disliked resulting unbalancing and most of the aesthetic changes it made. I basically wanted a faster, more visceral experience without all of the bloat... And since BD was chock full of bloat, that basically meant I had to go into the wads and remove all of the crap I didn't like, which was incredibly tedious.

I'm just curious if you (or anybody else reading this thread) have any suggestions for gameplay mods that you are enjoying at the moment. I'm looking for something new to play, preferably something that brings a speed/difficulty boost along with it, while remaining pretty close to the original. Another way to phrase the question: Has anything filled the gap that BD left when you gave it up? Or have you just gone back to vanilla?
I went to Hideous Destructor once Vaecrius added 'smart' friendly Marines that could follow you regardless of terrain, since those were my favorite part of Brutal DooM---nothing like being able to create massive battles in Oblige. And Demonsteele for my high-speed kick.

Usually when I feel like playing something really Brutal DooM-ish I play one of the community-made revamps, though.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

>New rule against discussing about BD.
>Thread about BD goes on.

Shouldn't this be closed here...?
Trance

Post by Trance »

The main thrust of his post was asking about other mods to play besides BD.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

Still, that doesnt mean there can't be another "BD is worst thing on earth"-discussion here.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I think it can at least stay as he was criticizing the game on artistic grounds rather than the circumstances surrounding the mod, but ultimately it's up to Weasel and co. to decide.

He sounded more interested in recommendations for similar mods than anything else, anyway.

Return to “Off-Topic”