I'm actually done with BD

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Marinelol

Re: I'm actually done with BD

Post by Marinelol »

I liked it until it got that stupid marine screaming (Sorry whoever acted it, you damaged my ears!) and explosion sounds. Why do people need to get deaf as they are using real weapons?

The blood was fun for 10 seconds before it became annoying and distracting. Similar with the fatalities novelty. Ironically I think the only things I liked is the weapons sprites in the end :P. (Headshots made it easy, which I hate :<)
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Headshots shouldn't be a thing for Doom Monsters, unless they're moving around rapidly. 'tis why there's a "HEADSHOT!" announcement on UT2k4 and what not - harder to plant a headshot with the AI / player bouncing around like a hyper child.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I think BD is good. I like the various things that it brings to the table. I think the fatalities are fun, I like the headshots, I like other features of the mod, the weapons are great and the ridiculous amounts of gore is amusing. But, it's only a Doom mod. It's not how Doom was "meant to be played" (whatever the hell that means). It's just an alternative way of playing for a while. And that's all it is.

Just like other gameplay mods, sooner or later, BD's influence on the scene will fade and most people won't use it, or will only fire it up for an occasional game before going back to normal playing or whatever gameplay mod is taking their fancy at that particular time.

Sure, BD has been very successful but I've never understood why there is so much drama around it. I mean, yes, I've watched all the SgtMkIV stuff from the sidelines and I've seen what's been going on there but, even with that, I don't get all the drama. I don't get why so many people got so bent out of shape over it all. SgtMkIV maybe stirred up a lot of fuss but a lot of people rose to the bait and kept stirring with him. Collectively, there are a lot of people responsible for the social Frankenstein's monster that BD has become. Some of the loudest complainers are the most responsible for perpetuating what they claim to hate.

As for me, I enjoy the mod and I don't give a damn about the personality politics and drama surrounding it. The mod is all I'm interested in. I played it. I played it quite a lot for a while. However, it never took over my Dooming. I never had it on autoload and it's been quite some weeks since I last loaded it. I will use it again at some point though, even if its just for a quick run through Episode 1 or something, because it is fun.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Enjay wrote:I'd just like to announce that I am no longer playing Barney Doom. I am calling it quits with this mod.
fck u ur not real doomer if u quite that, it is the way doom was MENT 2B
NeuralStunner wrote:
leileilol wrote:similarly i'm starting to have regrets in putting in the "Brutal" blood option in Engoo now. should have called it 'psychopath mode'
You could call it "Nösebleed Möde". Some of the kiddies seem unduly... turned on by excessive gore.
the world needs this
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Marinelol wrote:I liked it until it got that stupid marine screaming (Sorry whoever acted it, you damaged my ears!) and explosion sounds. Why do people need to get deaf as they are using real weapons?
Totally agree. I hate so much the screaming and loud sounds in that mod.
black-thrones

Post by black-thrones »

My only beef with this mod was how stupid the marine sounded, to be honest.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Same, Mark tried make the marine the same from the Doom Comic which in the case is kinda a mentally-disturbed guy since he talks alone.

And the monsters doing the pain sound for a period of time which can be annoying when you are playing almost-slaughterfest wads like Speed of Doom or Resurgence
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

Revilution wrote:Same, Mark tried make the marine the same from the Doom Comic which in the case is kinda a mentally-disturbed guy since he talks alone.
That's not too uncommon in old shooters.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Well, there's a difference between "Your face, your ass.. what's the difference", "I live.. again.." and "GO FUCK YOUR SELF".
Big C

Post by Big C »

I think Zero X. Diamond's performance as Doomguy was the best part of BD, myself.

Such enthusiasm!
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

yet... horrible recorded and distorted....
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

Hellser wrote:"GO FUCK YOUR SELF".
I never said that BD's quotes were creative.

But I can definitly say that it is hard to come up with good lines. I have encountered that problem very often.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Not really saying the other quotes are creative, more along the lines that Duke Nukem and Caleb have much more "character" than a blood-lusted, 'YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS, I MUST RIP THEM OUT' mentality marine.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I dunno, I thought that Doomcomicguy's whole schtick was that he was completely and utterly bugnuts due to a combination of Hell invasion-induced PTSD and one too many berserk packs...
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Big C wrote:I think Zero X. Diamond's performance as Doomguy was the best part of BD, myself.

Such enthusiasm!
This.

(and I've always assumed the quality of recording was deliberate and related to the helmet...)

And doesn't anyone else here actually remember where that FUCK YOURSELF was from?

Return to “Off-Topic”