Forward Objective

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LilWhiteMouse

Forward Objective

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Forward Objective
http://www.prdarkfox.com/lwm/ForwardObjective.7z - Drag 'n drop on GZDoom to play.

ImageImage

Gameplay stuff:
Spoiler:
Having more computer issues today so uploading what I've got done so far. It's playable, but among other things the final "boss" isn''t balanced, and you can't lose. I've yet a fair amount of work planned. Some of the models are place holders, the citystate capital isn't done, it's just one completely random island, etc.... I plan to have Metal Marines' multiple islands campaign, starting with small lightly defended islands. A fair amount of the ACS needs to be straightened out yet, as much of it is still where I left it while writing everything.

Gameplay hiccups:
One gameplay inconsistency I have yet to address: Guppy drops are dependent on the time you request one. IE: You request a drop while your armory is Lvl 3, but it's damaged before the drop, the drop is still level 3 (intended behaviour). LCACs however do not adhere to this yet, the level of the strider deployed is determined the moment it's offloaded, not when it's launched.
Missile accuracy can be a little off. Sometimes it hits square on, sometimes it dives early. I've yet to determine the cause of this, or if it's even fixable.
Last edited by LilWhiteMouse on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arthropleura

Re: Forward Objective

Post by Arthropleura »

I love it when people redefine Doom like this.
cem26

Post by cem26 »

Is that real team RTS ? (like red alert or command and conquer dune and others)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It's not the kind of game that I am very good at, but I've had some fun with this today. It's well put together and quite an amazing feat of morphing Doom into something else.

An awful lot of the missiles launched by the defenders vanished though. I think they were travelling in arcs that made them hit the sky and then get removed :?:
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

cem26 wrote:Is that real team RTS ? (like red alert or command and conquer dune and others)
I would prefer a Herzog Zwei comparison myself.
Enjay wrote:An awful lot of the missiles launched by the defenders vanished though. I think they were travelling in arcs that made them hit the sky and then get removed :?:
They're just decoration for now, they launch into the ceiling.
Outsider

Post by Outsider »

Very fun demonstration that makes me look forward to anything to come in the future!

The gameplay and general setting remind me a lot of a mix between MILITIA and Hostile Waters. Plays very well, with solid gameplay although it does tend to come down to "Get four upgraded Striders and then grind the enemy down." The only thing I could really think to rectify this at the moment would be more units/attacks that your ship can launch, but seeing as I've been playing it for three hours already and having great fun, this is not at all urgent. Properly designed maps rather than randomly generated ones could also force you to make more in depth tactical choices, such as splitting up your forces and managing two or more attack groups.

The technical design in general is very good indeed; I wouldn't mind having a kit of a Strider on a shelf in my room. One thing I will say is that the missile launchers for the enemy, while serviceable maybe could be more like modern ground based ASM batteries than the rocket on a ramp set up to fit in with the enemy aesthetics better. But this is completely minor stuff and may just be a placeholder, as you said.

There is a small issue with the enemy commander's tank; when it blows up he remains with his pintle machine gun and keeps firing. I don't know if this is why there's no end state but it's not detracting from the gameplay at all.

Regardless I'm really looking forward to seeing this mod in its finished/further developed state. Great stuff!
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Outsider wrote:The only thing I could really think to rectify this at the moment would be more units/attacks that your ship can launch
The final intent is to start with one pilot/missile, and be able to recruit more as islands are liberated. It's currently hard coded at four because that's all the pilots I had added at the time, and each strider selects a unique pilot. I've tested it with 8 striders.
Properly designed maps rather than randomly generated ones could also force you to make more in depth tactical choices, such as splitting up your forces and managing two or more attack groups.
Randomly generated forces me to approach every island differently. In depth tactical choices are fine, until the second time where it just becomes rote. As to splitting up forces, I do that now already. A pair of fully equipped striders are more then capable. If I have anything left to do, I send one pair up one side of the island, and another pair up the other. Missile strikes are supposed to be more effective, allowing a single basic strider to take out an entire base, but I haven't bothered to address it yet.
One thing I will say is that the missile launchers for the enemy, while serviceable maybe could be more like modern ground based ASM batteries than the rocket on a ramp set up to fit in with the enemy aesthetics better. But this is completely minor stuff and may just be a placeholder, as you said.
This is more or less final, though I want to tweak the textures a bit. The project is my adaptation of Metal Marines. All the installations are based on their MM counterparts.
There is a small issue with the enemy commander's tank; when it blows up he remains with his pintle machine gun and keeps firing. I don't know if this is why there's no end state but it's not detracting from the gameplay at all.
It's unfinished. I copy&pasted the regular tank code just to check the model and alignments. Beyond that I haven't done any more end mission work.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

http://www.prdarkfox.com/lwm/ForwardObjective.7z

It's getting there. A number of changes and improvements. I had to add in a delay in the level generation to prevent a runaway script error, so for a moment the view is messed up. Eventually I'll cover the screen to hide this. Still no end work.

Groups are now color coded, and indicated by the command cursor (white (all), purple and tan groups).
Missiles are more accurate, but with reduced radius.
Striders are now offloaded at the nearest beach, not just the southern face.
Strider upgrade costs increase with level: 1 for Level 1, 2 for Level 2, and 3 for Level 3.
Enemy projectiles have a 25% chance to miss (Interceptors have a 50% chance).
New units/structures.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

For the next version, removed the HUD minimap and replaced it with a 3d map display. Can be rotated and tilted.
ImageImage

Currently only displays any deployed striders. Not sure how much information I'm going to display.

Debating on nesting the command items, like in D'deridex Command.
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's pretty impressive, but I don't understand how to play. I get that I should find my units and tell them to do stuff, but well, I don't find my units.

Also I don't get how to select and perform an action.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Gez wrote:Also I don't get how to select and perform an action.
Forgot to include that you need to use the inventory keys in the first post, fixed. You can't select and order a strider if you don't have any, and you won't have any unless you order their deployment with the command action. Oops.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

This looks interesting. I'm gonna try it out.

How much of this mod would you say is completed, LilWhiteMouse?
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

"Completed" is rather subjective. Nothing I do is complete, just reaches the "good enough" stage (Wolfen/Chosen). Chibi Rebellion is still in development (which is on hold until the voxel rendering issue is fixed). The current release was to get the basic gameplay mechanics working and balanced. My current copy has most of the campaign mechanics up and running, with the ability to continue w/o saves. What I mostly have left to do is work out progression: How often upgrades become available, when new enemy structures are introduced, how fast island sizes grow each time, etc...
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

http://www.prdarkfox.com/lwm/ForwardObjective.7z
Campaign is in and functional. You start with one pilot, missile, and no strider upgrades available. Islands start off small and lightly defended. As islands are liberated, you gain more pilots/missiles/strider upgrades. When you liberate an island, it saves your progress to cvars, and allows you to resume progress by selecting continue from the skill selection.

There's still work to do, mostly cosmetic and balancing, but it's playable as is. There is no end currently, but it plateau's around island 8 I think.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

LilWhiteMouse wrote:"Completed" is rather subjective. Nothing I do is complete, just reaches the "good enough" stage (Wolfen/Chosen). Chibi Rebellion is still in development (which is on hold until the voxel rendering issue is fixed). The current release was to get the basic gameplay mechanics working and balanced. My current copy has most of the campaign mechanics up and running, with the ability to continue w/o saves. What I mostly have left to do is work out progression: How often upgrades become available, when new enemy structures are introduced, how fast island sizes grow each time, etc...
Good enough answer for me. I really do enjoy this mod. It's a nice change of pace for someone as narrow-minded (when it comes to video-games) as myself.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”