[Release] The Trailblazer - 1.5e

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xaser

Re: [Release] The Trailblazer

Post by Xaser »

The mod's got pretty much the perfect cast of weaponry already. I don't think it's a good idea to suggest further bloat. :(
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:Planning on adding these?
Those just seem like older versions of the weapons already in, probably when there was a more realistic approach to things before they decided to go a little more over-the-top.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Maybe more like when DoomNukem used to draw stuff for Brutal Doom add-ons. Hey, that mod's good for lots and so was DN's inspiration!

As an aside, I did suggest, perhaps, extra weapons for compatibility with certain old Skulltag maps, but that's a crapshoot as far as determining which maps are actually still playable in GZDoom anyway. Plus, the only additional necessities for that would be a Railgun and BFG10k replacement, which would be strange to think about considering minigun chains and two-bore bullets.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

I dunno, I'd like to have dat railgun, but that's just me lovin' on the SW-style it has.

Now for something different: Yo Pillow, people on /vr/'s Doom thread don't like how the Nutcracker doesn't work well for groups (Even though the minigun/gl/revolver/shotguns are good enough), what about making the Nutcracker's shell becoming an Explosive shell that detonates into something like the GL's explosion when it hits a Wall/floor/+Boss monsters, just to help it kill more than monsters in a small line in the round's path?
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Matsilagi wrote:Both Dragon Bracelet and Frost Shards have no replacements. (Aand if i reckon correctly, the gauntlets too)

Also, nice mod, i think it fits the Hexen universe more than the Doom one.
Fixed! I guess I should figure out some replacements for more items, but that's for later, when DN will be back on track. I'll leave the dark servant intact, at any rate.
RikohZX wrote:So it turns out that the Pistol isn't properly bound to the Magic ammo in Hexen. It shows itself aligned to one of the two types, but it's actually running off its original ammo type in the background since the hud doesn't show the type, and thus once you run out it's out for good. Every other gun runs off their magic type(s) properly. Then again the Pistol isn't that great against most of the Hexen enemies to begin with.
Fixed. And yeah, I'd suggest machete'ing the beginning myself. You don't have much ammo to begin with, so you need to rely on slashing things like the Fighter or the Cleric.
Par9000 wrote:When I throw machete in air, i heard like a bullet fall down. I looked at ground and saw a shell. Fired shell...
Is this a bug? Or something like that.
That's not a shell - just a random cigarette butt!
xenoxols wrote:I think this would be better with cheesy one-liners.(Toggleable of course) Also Chrome Justice should have WRF_NOBOB in it's punch refire state. Otherwise it looks stupid.(And not the kind of stupid this mod is going for.)
I didn't even notice that, as I have had to add an extra tic to make certain thing to work (if someone tried to suddenly switch from punching to reloading and vice versa, you should know that's a little tricky, but possible with that gun, heh). Fixed. And as Marty said, the cheesy one liners may be provided soon enough!

Onar4241 wrote:I just found a bug, the dual SMGs and Revolvers light up the level but do not return the original lightning back, until you fire with a different weapon(s).
I was in a middle of a process of adding the gun lights in the dual-wielded weapons... and forgot about it, as I never paid much heed to that, whoops. Also fixed, plus refined!
Carbine Dioxide wrote:Planning on adding these?
Kind of. DN, as far as my memory doesn't fail me, made it for something else, but it got scrapped on the way. I can only say that I'll most likely salvage the shotgun from this set to upgrade the chrome, heh. The fine-tuned SW Railgun supposed to be also used, but since I've got... yeah....
Xaser wrote:The mod's got pretty much the perfect cast of weaponry already. I don't think it's a good idea to suggest further bloat. :(
...Since I've got practically everything covered, I don't think I need to add much here. The Railgun's role is covered by the Nutter, FMG, and the Magnum - I don't think I need to add any more weapons, purpose-wise redundant (Albeit I wouldn't mind to have the railgun for the sake of the scoped weapon, olololo). I'll most likely refine two weapons, replace one, and add one... perhaps two? I can't promise anything, but we'll try. We should concentrate on Caster for now anyway. Once I'm done with my finals, that is, which are ripping me a new one, like - right freaking now.
iSpook wrote:I dunno, I'd like to have dat railgun, but that's just me lovin' on the SW-style it has.

Now for something different: Yo Pillow, people on /vr/'s Doom thread don't like how the Nutcracker doesn't work well for groups (Even though the minigun/gl/revolver/shotguns are good enough), what about making the Nutcracker's shell becoming an Explosive shell that detonates into something like the GL's explosion when it hits a Wall/floor/+Boss monsters, just to help it kill more than monsters in a small line in the round's path?
I was working on a thing to circumvent that, but it failed. Zhs2 figured out some way to maybe make it actually work, so stay tuned!
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Groovy. Any news on that fuck-huge weapon DN was working on? (This thing I believe.)

Edit: Oh, and about the dash thing you have, Pillow: Can you change it from double-tap dash (which does go off rather easily) to something like Demonsteele's "Run+Direction key" dash setup?
Last edited by iSpook on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marinelol

Post by Marinelol »

Best thing I've played this year :P. Good work.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

I made a patch file to allow Trailblazer to be loaded in Strife. Just load the mod after the main file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/fcapq ... strife.pk3
It replaces all of the weapons (except for the sigil) and all ammo types, as well as the spectre bosses (so you can actually damage them). Health pickups placed in the map are the standard doom style pickups, while the purchasable health is pooled into your "Pisskey" in amounts of 10, 25, and 100.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

been waiting for this for a long time and find myself very disappointed it is for gzdoom only... guess I'll never be able to play it. I tried to load it anyway (you know, see how odd it does look without the 'g' ? but alas it wouldn't even load at all

no chance of a knocked down version for zdoom users? we feel rather left out :wink:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Which version of ZDoom are you using? It works* for me with the Git builds. However, the mod uses features added since the last official release so that won't work.

*i.e. it starts and seems OK. I have played extensively with GZDoom but only tested quickly (one map) with ZDoom.

[edit]
I just realised that I have been playing this mod quite a bit but haven't actually said anything about it. I think it is a fantastic mod. I'll even go as far as to say I think it is one of the best weapon mods ever. I love the look of the weapons. I love the feel of the weapons. I love the look of the weapons. I love the sound of the weapons. I love the look of the weapons. I love the action of the weapons. I love the look of the weapons.

I really like how the double weapons are handled. The fact that they act independently from each other is really cool. For example, the revolvers can reload independently, even while the other is firing and you can mash the fire/altfire buttons to get each of the double weapons firing really quickly and not dependant on what the other hand is doing. I'm not a huge fan of reloading weapons in Doom mods but the way these weapons work, and the general balance of the weapons makes any reloading problems that I would normally have absolutely minimal. Being able to get a quick punch in while the weapon continues reloading is really helpful too.

I also really like the little touches. The character is his own cigarette-tab-spitting person: he's not Doomguy, he's not Duke. The new take on the powerups is interesting and graphically throughout the mod looks very nice: the menus, the sprites, the HUD, everything.

Oh, yeah, and did I mention that I love the look of the weapons?
[/edit]
Last edited by Enjay on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

oh yeah. i'm running 2.7.1 so I wont work will it. :|

I do get fed up with this "need latest dv build or gzdoom" stuff of late.

we are modding a 20 year old game. it should be possible to do so in a way that does not exceed the zdoom engine.
not to blow my own trumpet but that's kinda the baseline specification I use when making my modifications. that way the classic look/themes of doom/heretic/hexen/strife etc remain intact and nothing seems too out of place. ok rant over...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

osjclatchford wrote:oh yeah. i'm running 2.7.1 so I wont work will it. :|

I do get fed up with this "need latest dv build or gzdoom" stuff of late.

we are modding a 20 year old game. it should be possible to do so in a way that does not exceed the zdoom engine.
But it is possible to to do so in a way that does not exceed the ZDoom engine. It's just that many people (myself included) don't want to. My last mod was very model-heavy because I wanted it to be. From the very outset, that mod was "exceeding the ZDoom engine" by design.

What are you going to do when Randi releases a new version?

If you want to follow your logic though, everything should be runnable in BOOM (assuming you don't still want the vanilla limits such as visplane overflows etc). That's far more like the 20 year old game. Even ZDoom 1.22 brings a whole bunch of new features to the table that means a mod specifically for it won't run in BOOM. Of course, many people do set "BOOM compat" as the target for their editing.

Personally, I don't think we are modding for a 20 year old game. I think we are modding for a (more or less) present-day feature set (as far as possible anyway) that just happens to use 20 year old resources as its core and default data set.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

sigh...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Sigh?
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Enjay wrote: What are you going to do when Randi releases a new version?

If you want to follow your logic though, everything should be runnable in BOOM (assuming you don't still want the vanilla limits such as visplane overflows etc). That's far more like the 20 year old game. Even ZDoom 1.22 brings a whole bunch of new features to the table that means a mod specifically for it won't run in BOOM. Of course, many people do set "BOOM compat" as the target for their editing.

Personally, I don't think we are modding for a 20 year old game. I think we are modding for a (more or less) present-day feature set (as far as possible anyway) that just happens to use 20 year old resources as its core and default data set.
sigh...

I give up. it seems that opinions are getting misconstrued. I didnt it say it should be just that its a shame the option for it isnt there...

not saying I wont dl the latest version just bitching about personal ocds I suppose...

do yourselves a favour and ignore me today. "moaning old bastard" springs to mind when describing me today...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”