555 GZDooM GUI Launcher V4

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
loismustdie555

Post by loismustdie555 »

This program requires the JDK!!
The same thing you need to run that one block game.

Screenshots of the launcher

ImageImage

Features:
  • New! INI Editor to edit the most common settings in the INI (for lazy people or people who want a quick start without doing everything 1 by 1 in game)
    New! Theme changer (Windows and Nimbus. Nimbus is what's shown in the screenshots)
    Difficulty selection,
    Single player game
    Host Co-op or death match game (and a box to enter player count)
    Join multiplayer game (and a box to enter the host's IP)
    Custom content selection via a file browser dialogue
    ZDoom *and GZDoom source port compatibility
    Change netmode
    Set skill level
    Map warp
    Enable cheats (for co-op derping)
    Disable monsters
    Choose IWAD
    An unchangable checkbox that says "Sexy" and upon attempting to change it it says "Impossible"
Notes:
  • Settings do not save
    You can just drop the .jar into the same directory as gzdoom.exe or zdoom.exe and it will run
    If the .jar is not in the same directory as gzdoom.exe or zdoom.exe you must select the executable before you can run the game
    I highly recommend putting it in the directory of gzdoom.exe or zdoom.exe and just making a desktop shortcut
To use the INI editor the .jar MUST be in the same folder as your original .ini file or it will NOT work

Download The Launcher Here

Changelog:
  • V2
    Fixed a bunch of bugs with singleplayer mode. (Forgot to test singleplayer. woops!)

V3
    Fixed a couple bugs relating to file selection.
    Fixed bugs relating to the map warping, and added a few failsafes to make sure every launch command argument will work properly.

V4
    Added a theme changer
    Added an INI editor

//If you want to use this or include this in anything, ask me first!
Last edited by loismustdie555 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 18 times in total.
edward850

Re: Easy-ish GZDooM MP/SP Launcher

Post by edward850 »

I'm not sure how this is more conventional than just popping open the windows command prompt, which would also give you all possible startup options, instead of just file lists and number of players.

I guess it serves as a reminder that I should focus on getting ZDO operational.
loismustdie555

Post by loismustdie555 »

edward850 wrote:Image
I'm not sure how this is more conventional than just popping open the windows command prompt, which would also give you all possible startup options, instead of just file lists and number of players.

I guess it serves as a reminder that I should focus on getting ZDO operational.
Becuase I've tried co-op with a few friends who have next to zero knowledge of the cmd window. And according the this (it would seem) that you're saying opening a cmd window, you get all the options before your eyes. Which is not true. And what my goal is here is to do that. Put the most simple and most used options in front of your eyes.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

But there's basically nothing there in the first place, and nothing about this is even remotely "simpler" then the command prompt. Simpler would imply a GUI of some description. I could shift+right click in any folder and get basically the same yet infinitely more flexible experience. Your tool does basically the same thing yet with more restrictions.
"Open command window here" is an infallible menu until you can make something do file hash checking, transfers and peer mapping tests.

Simply put: you haven't actually added anything new to the table yet that even ZDL hasn't already done. If you want people to take it seriously, you need to give this more purpose.

And probably an actual frontend.
loismustdie555

Post by loismustdie555 »

edward850 wrote:But there's basically nothing there in the first place, and nothing about this is even remotely "simpler" the the command prompt. Simpler would imply a GUI of some description. I could shift+right click in any folder and get basically the same yet infinitely more flexible experience. Your tool does basically the same thing yet with more restrictions.
"Open command window here" is an infallible menu until you can make something do file hash checking, transfers and peer mapping tests.

Simply put: you haven't actually added anything new to the table yet that even ZDL hasn't already done. If you want people to take it seriously, you need to give this more purpose.

And probably an actual frontend.
Hmmmm... Good point, I guess there really is no point in this in that regard.
The reason I made this, was because it was simpler than opening ZDL, added source port, adding wad, THEN being able to run everything.
With this, just drop it in the same folder as gzdoom, and run. With ZDL, you have to do other stuff.
Just figured I'd put this up. If people don't like it and prefer ZDL then they can use ZDL. I'm not forcing anyone to use my launcher, and I'm not saying mine is better than ZDL.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

You still have to do stuff if you have mods you want to load. ZDL just makes things easier via click and drag. I use it all the time. Not to mention there's another launcher which seeks to replace ZDL out on these forums somewhere.
loismustdie555

Post by loismustdie555 »

Hellser wrote:You still have to do stuff if you have mods you want to load. ZDL just makes things easier via click and drag.
I understand that, but as I said earlier, you have to set everything up, through settings, you have to set the directory/file path for the source port (in this case gzdoom), then do the same with the DOOM.wad, DOOM2.wad, etc etc. then you have to derp about a bit in the gzdoom settings,
And explaining that to someone with not much more computer knowledge beyond moving files around, isn't easy. Especially when it's over skype or similar.
And I made this, (and a slightly edited version for those people) because of that, and also because I have pretty much nothing to do now besides code/script random crap.
loismustdie555

Re: Easy-ish GZDooM MP/SP Launcher (GUI In Progress!)

Post by loismustdie555 »

You two happy? I've got a GUI mockup pretty much done.
Going to derp about a bit more and then derp with coding the thing to do more than look pretty.

Any suggestions on (realistic) features to add are welcome.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Looks pretty neat. ill test it out and let you know if i find anything broken/lacking
loismustdie555

Post by loismustdie555 »

Crudux Cruo wrote:Looks pretty neat. ill test it out and let you know if i find anything broken/lacking
Thanks man, I just woke up to this, it cheered me up. Sadly after sleeping all day this is the most positive notification I've gotten. lol
The GUI might take a bit as Java != my best area and I'll be needing some help. Lots of it. But I don't mind admitting it. Because everyone needs help on certain things.

And by the way, let me know if you can think of anything to add to the GUI.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

There you go. I kinda like it. Keep it up. :D
loismustdie555

Post by loismustdie555 »

Hellser wrote:There you go. I kinda like it. Keep it up. :D
Thanks Hellser.

And I've moved the surprise feature to a third tab.

It's less of a feature more of an easter egg/thing to make you giggle. But I promise it won't get in the way of anything. :D

Anything you can think of to add?

I've already added selected files listing, and the surprise feature to the third tab, along with a credits bit, bc I'm not the only one working on it.

I'm out of ideas.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

This looks like it will really simplify netplay for two ports notorius for their difficupty with netplay
loismustdie555

Post by loismustdie555 »

demo_the_man wrote:This looks like it will really simplify netplay for two ports notorius for their difficupty with netplay
That's my goal. :D

I'm probably going to get rid of the .ini customizer for now, and *maybe* add it back in later.
But the rest of the stuff, and a few more things I've not shown yet will be included.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

also, It would be cool if you used a similar text font for the text to the menus, and change the menu backround for each iwad(title screen for doom, doom 2, strife, hexen, hertic, and final doom when they are selected.

Return to “Launchers”