[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by NeuralStunner »

fellowzdoomer wrote:Some good\bad news from me: im mapping for freedoom.
I would recommend doing plenty of independent mapping and getting the practice, before you sign up for other projects.
Athel

Post by Athel »

I have the mapping skills needed, its just that I have mappers block, which may clear after I finish my Map of the Month.
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

Well, for one thing, make sure that most of the doors you place actually work. At the moment almost half the doors in the game don't do anything. Doors are fine for decoration, but they're way better if they actually go somewhere, even if it's just a small room with 3 armor bonuses in it. Maybe you could try starting E3M3, it could be like an alien fortress.
Athel

Post by Athel »

I kinda promised to do E2M6 and maybe M7. All my doors will work though. I communicated with them on IRC.
CruX

Post by CruX »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:I've got to be honest, Mike. I don't know if I've ever actually said it, but I've thought about it a lot. Now, don't get me wrong here; your sprites are great. But... they really don't match the Doom aesthetic. It's clearer now than ever now that you're using edited Doom hands on your gun there. Somehow your guns almost seem to have cartoony outlines to them and the shading seems... I dunno, too soft and smooth? Somebody who actually does more spriting stuff than I could probably describe what I'm trying to say better.
Eh, depends on what you're using it with, I suppose. I used some of Eriance's hands from the older versions of the Demon Eclipse weapons and am personally pretty satisfied with the result;

(ignore the pillow-shaded arm, that's all my doing)

I'll agree though, his actor sprites don't have quite the same level of detail as the original Doom sprites. They really wouldn't look right being side-by-side, but they sure do have their own charm. Honestly, my only complaint about Mike's stuff so far is that he hasn't made an assault rifle with a dedicated reload frame D:
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

That's pretty damn awesome Crux! I do like the Eriance hands on that pistol.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Nothing's bad when you need them, through out a graphical issues, though. Also, every sprites doesn't need to be much realistic if they have their own style.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

CruX wrote:
Zero X. Diamond wrote:I've got to be honest, Mike. I don't know if I've ever actually said it, but I've thought about it a lot. Now, don't get me wrong here; your sprites are great. But... they really don't match the Doom aesthetic. It's clearer now than ever now that you're using edited Doom hands on your gun there. Somehow your guns almost seem to have cartoony outlines to them and the shading seems... I dunno, too soft and smooth? Somebody who actually does more spriting stuff than I could probably describe what I'm trying to say better.
Eh, depends on what you're using it with, I suppose. I used some of Eriance's hands from the older versions of the Demon Eclipse weapons and am personally pretty satisfied with the result;

(ignore the pillow-shaded arm, that's all my doing)

I'll agree though, his actor sprites don't have quite the same level of detail as the original Doom sprites. They really wouldn't look right being side-by-side, but they sure do have their own charm. Honestly, my only complaint about Mike's stuff so far is that he hasn't made an assault rifle with a dedicated reload frame D:

Stronger directional light may be a step in the Doomier direction.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

started woriking on the urricvile again

MidoriMan

Post by MidoriMan »

I did some sprucing up of Mike's sprites a while back.
COLT45.png
COLT45.png (7.57 KiB) Viewed 842 times
Split up for TEXTURES purposes.
COLT45_SHEET.png
Now with Blood hands and complete.
(Ignore the preview making it look worse than it actually is.)
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

You make everything look awesome, Midori Man. :D
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

another loose frame

Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

Lookin' good :)
How long will it take before my Doomworld account gets activated and I can post my concept art?
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

i think youre having the same problem i had (the message never arrived) ill tell fraggle to see if he can activate the account, are you using the same username?
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

Almost. It's Maz Hades.

Return to “General”