GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action (last post here 4-18-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Combine_Kegan

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.7]

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Kept you guys waiting didn't I? V0.9.7 is up!
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Yep!
New enemy replacements and stuff seem nice enough. I noticed new effects on the Blazter's energy shots, although those effects are absent in the fully charged shot, making it look a bit off.
I read the changelog about the flickwand, but I don't see how it was replaced, didn't seem to find any new function in the Blazter to fire hitscans. Can you elaborate on this change?
Also glad to see subweapons last longer in the map.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

You should be able to shoot hitscan triggered switches and not have grates block your shots
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Oh, with the needle shot instead of the energy shot? I always thought that fire mode was there precisely because of switches, so makes sense. It was fun to accidentally kill demons with the flickwand though (as in trying to use a hammer or something and hitting some demon with low HP that happened to be on front. It's like making a tank explode with a pebble, therefore hilarious. Other than that, won't miss it.
POW givers are damn convenient, too.

Glad you changed the inventory keeping mode too. Never liked the zdoom default for inventory across levels. Kinda fail to see the point on dropping all but one of each items unless intended for challenge runs or something.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Both the dart mode and charged shot modes should fire harmless hitscans to trigger switches
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Aah~ Good idea, that sure will work.
Well, after a set of large Oblige maps, I find this release to work pretty smoothly. The POW givers make exchanging weapons more convenient. And now that I can use hammers more frequently, I can say I am madly in wuv with them. Actually, I like pretty much all the new loot. Makes maps with a lot of content more rewarding to explore. However, as much as I like the hammer, the POW giver and the armor amulet, I find the portacube/chest to be a bit redundant. I mean, they aren't entirely useless, specially if you are seeking a specific weapon, but I feel that I never find a reason to use them and they remain there gathering dust. Perhaps it could be replaced by something else later on.
I certainly would love to see a bit more loot, this mod has potential for a lot of fun use items given the arcadey flavor. It's one of my favorites for quick runs or testing maps with.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

I've been trying to figure out what I want to do with the revenants. I'm not sure if I'm completely happy with their current behavior, I love all of their melee based attacks but god their ranged is poor, and I'm not sure how much the detached head trick contributes to the mod.

I've been thinking about scrapping the head throw and headless trick, and refine their bone attacks, as well as give them a classic revenant-style homing attack as it really is a problem when there's map with revenant sniper towers that are rendered completely harmless because of the skeletons inability to shoot homing missiles at the player.
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Make them fire more, slower, but breakable shots. Feels arcadier that way.

EDIT: In other news, GMOTA got mentioned in the cacowards as "strong contender" for Demonsteele, the winner. Not a cacoward, but still pretty good.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

For some reason teleporters don't work when I use this mod. Any idea why?
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Hetdegon wrote:Make them fire more, slower, but breakable shots. Feels arcadier that way.

EDIT: In other news, GMOTA got mentioned in the cacowards as "strong contender" for Demonsteele, the winner. Not a cacoward, but still pretty good.
I thought about making their shots shootable. But if you could intercept their projectiles so easily, it'd make them completely harmless seeing as Blaz has a rapid fire weapon with infinite ammo at all times

And I'm not sure why teleporters aren't working, killer. I've never heard of an issue like that before. What map were you playing on?
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

MAP02 of Doom 2.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Ah hell, that's why. I made chests immune to being telefragged and it turns out they block teleporters.

Download the hotfix version I put in the OP and you shouldn't have that issue again.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Gmota's QA staff is horribad. -20/10 would not play again.

... well, maybe not "Again". This up-date's alright, even if the custom monsters aren't my cup of tea.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Combine_Kegan wrote:Ah hell, that's why. I made chests immune to being telefragged and it turns out they block teleporters.

Download the hotfix version I put in the OP and you shouldn't have that issue again.
Nice :D. Glad I could be of help.
By the way, the gameplay is great. The weapons feel awesome and are satisfying to use, and the secondary abilities help with customizing your playstyle a bit. I'm having fun with Demonsteele and some other games at the moment, but I'll make sure to revisit your mod in the future, it's a ton of fun :D

P.S.The Hammer! THE FREAKING HAMMER! IT'S GREAT!
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

The hammer is freaking divine.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”