The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by xenoxols »

I can't count how many projects I've worked on for about 5 minutes and then quit.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

dark-slayer-201 wrote:-explorer pic-
Woa, another who does the double partition for data and system, which is good fault tolerance. But even funnier is what drive letter you have your DVD burner set to. Mine is typically Q: these days, and eventually I'll rebuild a system that has an A and B drive, one for each floppy disk size.

As for what I'm working on, uh... bit of an old photo but here's Floor 5 in the new WATR megabuilding.
Spoiler:
edward850

Post by edward850 »

DoomRater wrote:Woa, another who does the double partition for data and system, which is good fault tolerance.
No it isn't. Fault tolerance requires independent hard drives. The same drive with multiple partitions means all of those partitions are vulnerable to the same point of failure. Nothing has actually changed.

The reason why the trend exists was because it was the only way to properly use hard drive space larger than 8GB while still keeping DOS operational (plus another limit at 32GB for FAT32 on win95/98). Somehow the trend stayed, dispite no longer needing it.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

edward850 wrote: The reason why the trend exists was because it was the only way to properly use hard drive space larger than 8GB while still keeping DOS operational (plus another limit at 32GB for FAT32 on win95/98). Somehow the trend stayed, dispite no longer needing it.
Doesn't windows 7 have a 2 TB limit?
Gez

Post by Gez »

I took the habit of separating data from system long before running into the old 8GB limit, because it made it simpler to fully reinstall the system in case of problems. Of course that reason is kinda obsolete too as Windows has gotten past the time when it needed to be periodically reinstalled from scratch. But then I had another reason: the data folder was shared between dual-booted OSes, the system partition wasn't.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

xenoxols wrote:Doesn't windows 7 have a 2 TB limit?
That's a different kind of limit (and it has little to do with 7). FAT32 was designed for 32GiB partitions, and thus that's what Windows will allow you to format it up to. It can technically handle 2TiB at 512 Byte sectors but starts to run into problems doing so (it'll take a noticeable amount of time to mount and access being the most obvious issue), and 8TiB maximum with 4KiB sectors if you hate yourself.

Even at 512 Bytes, the sector size becomes a gigantic waste. Storing the idgames archive on a 1TiB FAT32 partition is an exercise in wasting space, as most of the textfiles (and text files make up the majroity of the files) are measured in a couple hundred bytes. :P
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

There are floppies that ship with some 32+gb drives to allow formatting a FAT32 past the limit.

I've always used at least two physical drives for over 20 years. I never looked back to the single drive configurations and i've always partitioned OS away from the rest for fragmentation reasons, so often i'd go up to E: with the drives and have CD-ROM at F:.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

I just use a bunch of hard drives. Although I'm not very organized about it. Partially because versions of windows post-xp don't let you change the letter of your install partition.Thus C:\ on one of my hard drivess is different than C:\ on another.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

edward850 wrote:The reason why the trend exists was because it was the only way to properly use hard drive space larger than 8GB while still keeping DOS operational (plus another limit at 32GB for FAT32 on win95/98). Somehow the trend stayed, dispite no longer needing it.
I do it to make data migration more copy and paste than remembering multiple folder locations to copy and paste. And because I don't like storing tons of data on a system partition.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

2 screenshots of the city map, 1 of the invasion map I am also working on.
Spoiler: Screenshots
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

gotta love what have you done to that net floor!
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

I guess a 3d-floor with that as a ceiling-texture.
Nash

Post by Nash »

abbuw: Impressive work on the city map, as always. I can't wait to play it already. :P
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

I've been working on a weapons/class/gameplay mod. So far I've got tiddly squat to show for it (still learning code, edit/ my attempts have been absolutely atrocious /edit, and I still haven't installed Slade), but Carbine Dioxide helped me design one of the weapons that will be appearing in the mod. Not gonna be over-the-top or anything of that sort, but I hope it'll be eye-catching at the very least.
Attachments
Carbine's Sprite and pickup sprite. I will be editing them slightly.
Carbine's Sprite and pickup sprite. I will be editing them slightly.
RIVET THING.png (5.59 KiB) Viewed 392 times
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

I like that fore grip very much, Deviantiest! I also thought of brightening the clip for consistency, but it seems you've done that yourself.

Don't worry, I think I will have some of the reload frames by tomorrow.

Return to “Off-Topic”