{TUT} Basic & Advanced Weapon Spriting

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
NoozeArts
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: {TUT} Basic & Advanced Weapon Spriting

Post by NoozeArts »

I made AA12-like autoshotgun using just Blender. Free software ftw!
(Still heavily WIP)
Attachments
AA12f.gif
AA12f.gif (72.25 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

nice animation, but all dark background? i hope you have a transparent one, though.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Amazing, Nooze Arts!
NoozeArts

Post by NoozeArts »

Captain J wrote:nice animation, but all dark background? i hope you have a transparent one, though.
The background in the gif is arbitrary, it's transparent in the original frames. I used some quick gif generator to create the preview for demonstration purposes, it couldn't handle transparency.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

NoozeArts wrote:I made AA12-like autoshotgun using just Blender. Free software ftw!
(Still heavily WIP)
The magazine seems to have some elasticity like a bag of water sloshing around. :)
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Kappes Buur wrote:The magazine seems to have some elasticity like a bag of water sloshing around. :)
I'm not seeing it. The changes in rotation and distance look completely reasonable to me.

I don't know that the open drum looks quite like a good idea, though.
Last edited by NeuralStunner on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

The sight at the end of the barrel appears to pop up and down at the end of the firing frames.
NoozeArts

Post by NoozeArts »

I'm not sure if this conversation is appropriate to have in this topic (I'm rather new at using forums), but I'll show the slight update I made after the previous preview.
I'm still working on the currently horrendous muzzle flash cast light effect. Also the muzzle flash itself.
Attachments
AA12h.gif
AA12h.gif (63.01 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
NoozeArts

Post by NoozeArts »

Kappes Buur wrote:The magazine seems to have some elasticity like a bag of water sloshing around. :)
I think it's the slight vertical squeeze I gave it so when it's rendered in the game it looks normal (assuming the game it ends up to be used in uses Doom's render scaling).
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

amv2k9 wrote:The sight at the end of the barrel appears to pop up and down at the end of the firing frames.
The end of the barrel is kicking up. That usually happens when guns are fired. :P

I'm not seeing anything wrong with it, other than a stray bright pixel at the edge here and there.
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Also, make an image 4 times as big before adding detail and then shrink it down back to a quarter of the size. Also, if your sprite looks a bit flat, try increasing the contrast. It does wonders for metal sometimes.
TankenAbard

Post by TankenAbard »

As far as this method of making things is concerned, I have an example, and then a couple of questions. Keep in mine however, I'm using Blender and Gimp, but speak freely about what programs you use as I will attempt to find out how to do them in my own programs.

After the model is made, lighting and whatnot is touched up using the burn/dodge tools, you mention "Now you can add color". Can you give a very rough or loose explaination on how you add color after the burn/dodge process? Also, what you do to add Misc. details, if the method you use is somewhat simple.

What I've done, is made a basic model in Blender, added a light point, some world light, then made a PNG render with a clear background. I then adjusted the brightness/contrast, added burn/dodge lines, adjusted contrast again. However, after this, I used a small brush and traced the burn/dodge lines, making a zigzag pattern as I went, to simulate scratching.

I'm sure I could figure out how to add scratches into the mix somehow down the line, but how can the sprite be colored after the render is done? I have used the brush tool on the same layer, on different layers, and different modes (Hard Light seems to be promising) but nothing seems to work so well. I haven't tried coloring the model then rendering after, yet. I'm just trying to go through the steps to see if it's possible for me to make something of realative quality, for a project that I very much want to do.

Any suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Klikscratch2.png
Klikscratch2.png (17.97 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
Clonehunter

Post by Clonehunter »

Really cool tutorials, now all you need is one going over weapons from photographs. :P
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

TankenAbard wrote:
Spoiler: stuff
hmm I cant help too much as I don't use blender and haven't touched gimp in a long time, I know they have similar/same tools although I am not sure what they are called.
I noticed your render/mesh had some nastyish smoothing error's they may be something you'll want to avoid. try using some grunge brushes, layer styles, fuck around with bevel's and embossing, dunno.
this might help a bit, with the colour I try to give it a yellow-orange and light blue sheen effect, that can be done in the method I have in the tute, but you may be better off experimenting with gradient maps, they can be really useful when colouring things with a specific material in mind.

also great job on the scratches just be careful with overdoing it, you could also compliment them with a few burns to show dents/grime.

EDIT: I also found a new way to work out anti-aliasing with the 3D method, I will update this tutorial eventually.
Xama21

Post by Xama21 »

Some one please make a tutorial on how to make guns please I am more of a visual learner :(

Return to “Tutorials”