Jurassic Rift Returns!! Now v125!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Githern

Jurassic Rift Returns!! Now v125!

Post by Githern »

Hello all, Jurassic Rift has returned for Zandronum! I am in close contact with the original creator, Lazerues. I have taken the reins and we are now trudging towards our first major release, v125.

For those who haven't played before this Mod is a Multiplayer TC that adds 4 new characters each with unique weapons, all new textures, many new sounds, new weapons, new inventory items, of course new maps, and remains optimized for the software renderer.

!! -- Looking for Mappers -- !!

Current build: Jurassic Rift 125
Spoiler:
I already have a bit of a short term Roadmap for developing this:
Cleaning up the WAD, making sense of everything v125 ** Done!
Ensure that everything works correctly in Zandronum v126
Creating a new inventory item to the already large list v127
Taking a pass through maps and cleaning them up v128
Finishing maps that feel incomplete v129

A long term Roadmap that includes:
Adding 4 new DM maps with 2 Duel derivatives
Completing at least 2 Domination maps v140
Ultimate goal of adding Single Player campaign v300

With all that said, these are very subject to change. The single player project will only take place when we have the main content added such as sounds, new inventory items and so on.
Current build Screenshot
The Venusrae has been balanced to make it a little less OP.
Last edited by Githern on Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Githern

Re: Jurassic Rift Returns!!

Post by Githern »

Today was a huge day for Jurassic Rift. We are well on our way to JRift 125. The level balancing act has just begun and it will be a longer process than I thought. Most of the heavy lifting has been done today with items changed, added, and level elements added to assist movement and flow. I am in the process now of finishing a level build out. I am looking forward to sharing these new level experiences with all of you! For now all I can give is a lonely little screenshot. I would also love to hear from the community, what would you like to see in Jurassic Rift v126?

Image taken from the renovations under construction in JRDM07.
Last edited by Githern on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Now this is looking promising. I have a curious question about this mod (having never seen it before); Why is it called Jurassic Rift?

Other than that, I'm keeping a tab on this.

As for what I would like to see, I would like to see this mod finished, no matter how it turns out or how long it takes.
Githern

Post by Githern »

Oh there's a long story behind this. Originally, this mod was planned with single player and multiplayer components. Lazureus had started this MOD by creating multiplayer maps to flesh out weapons, inventory items and powerups. This quickly became a favorite MOD for Multiplayer and we began getting quite a few mappers adding to it. Focus slowly shifted from the single player aspect to multiplayer only. We still have a story for SP and I do plan on resurrecting those plans. The story is rather busy, basically boils down to simple accidental science.

Humans make what they think is a time travel machine. Said machine works but doesn't travel to our past but another dimension's past. We end up in the Jurassic era and we could not tell any different. So then after a little travel through this new world we get cut off from our own. I will leave it there because there is much to flesh out. Only know that it involves demonic dinosaurs. This is also why all the weapons and super weapons are a biological and technological mix.

For now, Multiplayer remains the focus. We want to add a few new Deathmatch and Duel maps plus 2 CTF and 2 Domination maps. If that becomes a reality we'll move on to SP. We actually still have to create a lot more new content before SP is ready. We have sounds missing, graphics to be added and so on. Till then SP is suspended aside from my level planning (the first SP level will make you feel like it's HL1 quality.)
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Well hey then! I'd like to contribute to the story, if you'd like someone to focus on that aspect of things! :D I'm new to the ZDoom scene, but I am very familiar with writing stories (as I aspire to be an author).

Just give me some guidelines and I can get straight to work! If you've already got someone for that, well it's a bummer, but hey, they might have more experience than me.
Githern

Post by Githern »

I have messaged you. See what you think and let me know.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This is good news :)
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Jurassic Rift 124.1
  • Fatal Error at the loading process

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Just a fixable minor flaw, i presume he can fix that right away. Anyway this wad seems dino-great! Gotta check more!

EDIT: oops, not a easy thing.
Last edited by Captain J on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Githern

Post by Githern »

This looks like a problem with ZDoom 2.8 specifically. This is made for the current version of Zandronum only. Vanilla ZDoom is not supported. With that said I can try and track down the issue for you.

**Edit: Yup, it is within the engine itself. Sorry guys but unless the engine is changed to add more Zandronum specific things a whole new MOD would have to be written to support Vanilla ZDoom**
Last edited by Githern on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'm guessing this problem may not be the only one regarding ZDoom compatibility, but as far as this specific problem is concerned, this is because MaxHealthBonus has still not been ported over, despite many requests over the years. If more people wanted to see it happen, I'd suggest putting support behind the feature request. I really think it shouldn't be terribly hard to make it happen, since we have similar things already in the engine.
Githern

Post by Githern »

Just a little heads up, I have added a youtube video featuring a quick overview of Jurassic Rift and run down of changes to the game as of v125. Hope it helps those on the fence about whether or not to get this Multiplayer MOD.

Thanks everyone for the continued support and I hope to see you in game soon!
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

I don't play deathmatch wads,but I did download the first one to see what it looked like.I was absolutely gorgeous.I know this one will be too.Just wanted to compliment on your good work. Good luck! :D
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

i now want a wad in wich all the wepons are flowers!
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

raymoohawk wrote:i now want a wad in wich all the wepons are flowers!
Now that was a good one! Lol :lol:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”