ZDoom Executor new ZDoom (and related projects) Frontend.

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bloodbat

Re: ZDoom Executor new ZDoom (and related projects) Frontend

Post by Bloodbat »

The invalid type cast appears when using the buttons or drag and drop? Sadly the drag and drop part is a side effect of accepting drag and drop for profiles. I'll try to make drag and drop (for files) apply to external files box. Thanks for the report.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

You can't drag files up and down in the external files list. The type cast error happens when attempting to use the buttons. Also, huh, good to know - I didn't even think of dropping profiles.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Version 1.0.5 has been released!
It fixes what Zhs2 reported about invalid type casts (thanks for the report :)), and, while I was at it, I added the ability to drag and drop all kinds of files to the program: .zdeprof profiles will be treated as profiles and opened as such, any other files will be added to external files.
Also changed:
-Add: wad identifier tool (have an oddly named .WAD? Not sure if it's different (like the duplicate D.WAD in the steam versions)? Just use the identifier from the tools menu.
-The program's layout changed a bit
-Game data is handled differently internally: your existing profiles should update automatically and save themselves the first time you open them.

You may notice that your WADs version is now displayed in the combobox and, for Evilution and Plutonia, some can report bugs (the Steam versions, for example, are those bugged WADs). You can find a fix for the Evilution problem here, just add it to your external files.
http://www.teamtnt.com/other/tnt31fix.zip

If anyone has a complete list of skill level names for Chex Quest, Chex Quest 3, Action Doom 2, Harmony and Hacx, I'd be grateful if you posted it so I can add correct difficulty names to the combo box for different games.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Hellser »

So far, so good! Keep up the good work! I'll be using this over (q)ZDL it seems.
BlueInferno

Post by BlueInferno »

I already started using this over zdl. The profile system makes things so much easier.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

So far, on balance, I still prefer ZDL but this is a nice launcher.

One thing I have noticed is that any dialogues generated by the program (e.g. the options/paths dialogue) always appear in the middle of the screen. That's fair enough, but the program doesn't seem to be double screen aware so on a two monitor setup like mine, dialogues like this appear centred between the two monitors and then have to be moved before they can be looked at properly. Most programs just open dialogues centred on either the primary display or the display where the main program is running.

Also, can I ask where the program is saving its information? It's not in the program directory.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

I'll look into the double monitor issue.
As for where does it save the configuration under Windows: your user folder. (long version: c:\users\<yourusername>\.zde.cfg), if someone compiles for Linux or OSX it should be in their home directory.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Bloodbat wrote:As for where does it save the configuration under Windows: your user folder. (long version: c:\users\<yourusername>\.zde.cfg)
Found it, thanks. :)
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Version 1.0.6 has been released!
This release addresses some community suggestions; fixes some bugs and introduces several cool new features:
-Fix: multimonitor daughter forms problem.
-Fix: don't crash when trying to load broken profile.
-Add: correct difficulty names are displayed (for games that I know, I'm still missing Harmony, Hacx and Chex Quest).
-Add: maps are now listed with their name in the map selector. (e.g: MAP01 Entryway).
-Add: option to clear profile.
-Change: small bug fixes and internal data handling.
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

I wanted to try this, but everytime I try to open it, I get an Access Violation error. It says I can continue with corrupting data. Does it always do this or did I download the wrong thing?

...or could it be piece of crap Norton Anti-Virus?
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

It was my fault, please try again, it should work now.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Version 1.0.7 Fix: crash on start if config file isn't found. Sorry!
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Version 1.0.8 has been released!
Based a bit on Zhs2's suggestion, the program now allows you to set 5 quick access profiles on the new toolbar, set them with a right click and, once set, left click on them to instantaneously (computer speed permitting :P) load them in the program, other changes include:
-New toolbar.
-Most buttons are graphical or glyphed now.
Enjoy! :)
Zhs2
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Pretty cool, but 'nother suggestion: holding a modifier key (let's say CTRL) should change the right-click behavior to saving the current set of options and external files as a profile (and ask the user where to save the profile) then set the quick access to that profile; can't tell you how annoying it is to have to save a profile first, then find that specific profile again. Keep up the great work! This is my preferred launcher now.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Version 1.0.9 has been released!
This version implements some community suggestions and fixes some small bugs.
-Speedier starts: program was calculating IWAD versions (via checksum) every start, now it only calculates them when they're first set.
-Quick profiles can be set and saved at once with Ctrl-Right click (per Zhs2's suggestion), they can also be cleared now with middle click.
-Map numbers can now also be typed in the map selector.
-Engine names are filled automatically if not set when choosing one (it even makes pretty names for ZDoom and GZDoom).
-IWAD identifier is now aware of Freedoom 0.9.
-Fixed: Prevent some edge case crashes; profiles reset properly; minor bugs in map lister and path dialog
-For programmers: clearer code.

Return to “Launchers”