[WIP] Batman Doom Patch for ZDoom/Skulltag (0.4)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Evil Space Tomato
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom Patch for ZDoom/Skulltag (0.3)

Post by Evil Space Tomato »

Enjay wrote:This might be outwith the scope of what you want to do but I always found that the viewheight in Batman Doom was too low. With most of the enemies being quite tall but the player using the standard Doom viewheight I always felt that Batman must either be a midget or crawling on his knees in Batman Doom.
That should not be too difficult, I could just increase the players height rely on crouching to get through some of the short areas

With a viewheight of about 70 it looks good
Some guys like Killer Croc and Bane will probably need to be made slightly bigger
Snarboo wrote:I definitely like the idea of increasing Batman's view height, and new enemy variations are always a good thing. That said, I think that you should try and release two versions of this if possible: a "vanilla" one for people who want the original experience, and an "enhanced" one with all of the improvements.

Keep up the good work! :) I've always wanted to play this in a modern source port, so I'm glad to see someone tackling this.
Yes I will definitely have a modified and normal set of patches
Ral22
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom Patch for ZDoom/Skulltag (0.3)

Post by Ral22 »

A few things I noticed right off the bat (No pun intended).

- The batarang is thrown too rapidly compared to the original.
- I didn't notice Strake making a See sound.
- The Bane-gloves had too much kickback. It sent Bane flying away from me, and it didn't seem right.

Also, may I suggest:

- Making the enemies flagged with +NOBLOOD, since Batman doesn't kill them and it makes no sense that enemies bleed all over the walls (With decals) if he doesn't.
- Finding a way to be punished for putting the Bane-gloves away, like in the original. (I enjoyed that "You failed to beat Bane with your fists!" line.)
Evil Space Tomato

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom Patch for ZDoom/Skulltag (0.4)

Post by Evil Space Tomato »

New version

Resolved issues:
The batarang is thrown too rapidly compared to the original.
The Bane-gloves had too much kickback.
Got Final Glove to work more similar to original batman doom (you can now fail by switching to other weapons in the standard patch, in the plus patch it remove all other weapons instead)
Ammo counts for weapons where off

Added Features (Plus version only)
Health bars for the bosses (required edits to some of the levels to replace bosses used for non boss fight reasons, the ninja boss does not have one)
Different color schemes for regular enemies (most enemies have 4-8 color schemes)

Patch 0.4 Standard http://www.humenet.net/BatDoom/BatDoomPatch04.pk3
Patch 0.4 Plus http://www.humenet.net/BatDoom/BatDoomPatchPlus04.pk3

Unfortunately I start school on Monday so I will have to put this on hiatus until mid-August.
Feel free to suggest new features, or continue the project.
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

I'll give it some good play-testing until then.

Although I did find a tiny error already. It should say "Prepare to fight Bane with your fists only," not "You prepair to fight Bane with only your fists." It's a simple fix, though.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Evil Space Tomato, you are doing a damn fine job here :)

By the way, someone interested in doing GLDEFS? That would be awesome...
hikari47

Post by hikari47 »

There's a huge problem I noticed with this patch. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but Batman's model is somehow taller than before, making it impossible to go through certain doorways or tunnels without using the IDCLIP cheat. I've tried binding a Jump and Crouch button and toggled allow Jump and Crouch on but it doesn't work at all.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

the Plus patch alters Batman's view-height so that he is taller, because the sprites of the mod is quite tall, but Doom's view-height is considerably smaller in comparison. the vanilla patch shouldn't have the view-height problem though.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

You won't be able to jump even if you enable jumping because this mod sets Player.JumpZ to 0, which I think is a strange decision.
hikari47

Post by hikari47 »

I also noticed that enemies now respawn in Knightfall (or Nightmare) difficulty with this patch, when before running on DOS or Chocolate Doom, the enemies never respawn in Knightfall.
RastaManGames

Post by RastaManGames »

Please fix JumpZ = 0 to default. I really hate it.
If player do not want to jump, he can open gameplay options and set jumping to OFF.
Why author of this patch set JumpZ to 0? It's really annoying. :evil:

Also i found hikari47's problem - small tall of Player. In some levels i need using crouch for pass thru some doorways. :(
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Is there a chance of another update here?
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

I'm planning to playtesting it, also I see if I am skilled enough to write some GLDefs. I've done much of them for my project GORE, maybe this will not be a problem to do. I've also noticed that there are many warnings at the start + lindefes warnings through all the maps, if that's not a problem I'll consider to fix them well without compromising any maps. :-)
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Here you are my 1st GLDefs replacements for Batman Doom using BatmanDoomPatch04.pk3 with latest GZDoom SVN:

Actors summons are BatmanHealthBonus, BatmanArmorBonus, BatmanInfraRed, ChemicalBarrel, RandomBonus, BatmanRadSuit, BatmanGreenArmor & BatmanBlueArmor.

Here you are the link: LINK REMOVED

PS: I didn't tested them with Zandronum... but I think that there is no reason to do it :)
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

My revised version of this project* eliminates the startup warnings, as well as removing the strange jumping restriction from the playerclass; that belongs in MAPINFO. I also moved the playerclass declaration from KEYCONF to MAPINFO, where it belongs, meaning a small one-lump patch would be needed to run my version in Zandronum.

*I opted to work on the Plus version of this project.
armymen12002003
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

id like to see a version with the original doom weapons and monsters.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”