[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomKrakken

Re: [Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

Post by DoomKrakken »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:I think the new monsters would break mods, too.
I doubt it. There were several other places that had monsters that were incompatible with Brutal Doom/Project MSX, but they didn't break the mods.

I'll have to see for myself, though. I'm downloading a modified version of KDIZD (or is it a patch? It's 48.9 MB...) by Ed The Bat, so I'll get back on it...

*EDIT: Ok... just tried it with Project MSX. So far, the game doesn't seem to be broken. There are a couple of aesthetic problems, but it's still playable.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

you may need to delete the ' next to the 04 on line 941 fyi
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The primary issue that KDIZD has with weapon and gameplay patches is that its weapon lay out is different. They reuse the same editor numbers, but you are seriously messing with balance because what used to be a plasma rifle and BFG are now a grenade launcher and an infantry rifle.

I gotta tell ya, having a BFG-like weapon replacing the rifle kinda seriously breaks the gameplay here.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Earlier, there was a fixed version of KDIZD by Ed The Bat which I downloaded... if you guys want to run weapon mods, then you can use that. I wouldn't suggest playing it vanilla, though...
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

wildweasel wrote:The primary issue that KDIZD has with weapon and gameplay patches is that its weapon lay out is different. They reuse the same editor numbers, but you are seriously messing with balance because what used to be a plasma rifle and BFG are now a grenade launcher and an infantry rifle.

I gotta tell ya, having a BFG-like weapon replacing the rifle kinda seriously breaks the gameplay here.
Unless it's Brutal Doom ((The hellknight at the gate of Z1M6 is especially irritating.))

BTW I'm actually making a tiny lil' edited version of KDiZD to work with BD but I've noticed The Chaingunners and Hellknight's graphics really clash ((Especially when they are in alternate death states.)) Should I just replace the sprites with the original doom 2 ones or make it so you run it with both Doom 1 and 2? ((Doom 2 first and then Doom after)) I don't wanna have any legal issues.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Actually, the weapons are directly replaced. This was pretty smart because it means you can comment out the line "#include "Decorate/Weapons.txt"" in Decorate.txt and voila, the normal Doom 2 weapons appear instead (but without the sprites because lol Doom 1).
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Zhs2 wrote:Actually, the weapons are directly replaced. This was pretty smart because it means you can comment out the line "#include "Decorate/Weapons.txt"" in Decorate.txt and voila, the normal Doom 2 weapons appear instead (but without the sprites because lol Doom 1).
This fix will bring back the plasma rifle and BFG-9000?
Gez

Post by Gez »

It's not a fix. But yes, it should.
Siberian Tiger
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro. 22H2
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Siberian Tiger »

All this trouble, - just for Brutal Doom? Why?
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

My motives had nothing to do with Brutal Doom. I just wanted to be able to play my weapon/character mods, and since there's no way to patch over setslot and clearplayerclass, my only option was to make a new version of KDIZD without those. I simply opted to also roll all three files into one package for simplicity.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Thanks for making that fix, Ed. It's been fun playing through this again with the Aliens mod and a few others. It's a nice set of detailed maps that goes well with a lot of different gameplay mods now that it's open to it.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

You're welcome. I originally did it for myself, but I was seeing that other people here were facing the same problem that I did. I've had to make custom revisions of so, so many projects* just to remove setslot and clearplayerclasses, since there's nothing that can override them. They've been deprecated, with good reason, since February 19th, 2009, and September 19th, 2010, respectively, so not only are they harmful to compatibility, they're grossly outdated, and using them is terribly sloppy if nothing else. Projects that came out before those dates (such as the original release of KDIZD) have an excuse, since there were no alternatives back then, but anything newer should be ashamed. I found it highly embarrassing when KDIZD 1.2 came out to fix the parser bug, but continued to use these commands.

*I've never released the vast majority of them to the public, because I figured I should procure approval/permissions of some kind first, and my crippling social anxiety has stopped me from moving forward with that.
Average

Post by Average »

It would be great if this could be added t othe OP and uploaded to Id Games... What do you say Torm?? :)

Also,, Ed, just curious but what other mods have you tweaked? I know you can't share them without permission but I'd love to know... I like your work! :)
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Aw, I really appreciate that! :D

I've probably made revised personal copies of close to 200 mods by now, to varying degrees (some of them just remove a couple of problem bits, like my KDIZD revision, while others completely rewrite things from the ground up). I keep copies of them on my webspace along with a downloads page, mainly to help myself organize a little. Once I make sure it's up to date, I could put a link to it in my forum profile, assuming I'm not overstepping too many boundaries with that. I'm also open to requests if there are mods out there that I've missed that need similar cleanup.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Hey, Ed the Bat...

Your version of K-DIZD still has the rifle and grenade launcher. When I play with Project MSX, I am not able to obtain a Chimaera Pulse Rifle (the plasma gun) or the Sniper Gauss Cannon (the BFG). Could you tweak it some more so that plasma guns/plasma gun replacers and BFGs/BFG replacers work properly in the mod?

But, anyway, at LEAST the game is still playable with Project MSX. I guess it'll be a little more faithful to the E1 aspect of the game in that way (as there are no plasma guns/BFGs in the first episode of Doom). Thanks for that. :D

Return to “Levels”