[Release] Gene-Tech: Before the Storm

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SyntherAugustus

Re: [Release] Gene-Tech: Before the Storm

Post by SyntherAugustus »

So I'm playing Hard mode and it's quite hard. Didn't realize the floating orb things (The not orange ones) didn't have that much health until I shot them down with a pistol. Made me waste my precious rockets. :(

The way the lighting is makes me want model support for normal zdoom, because right now I'm really digging the idea of shadows!
Nash

Post by Nash »

(Unrelated to project) why do the GZDoom 2.x dev builds still include glew32.dll? It's no longer needed isn't it?

EDIT: I'm afraid that due to the interpolation issue still not being fixed yet, this mod may not exactly be ready for normal play on the dev builds. :(
SyntherAugustus

(Still Offtopic) Also it appears to ignore QEffectsGL now, which is a bummer.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

blackfish wrote:So I'm playing Hard mode and it's quite hard. Didn't realize the floating orb things (The not orange ones) didn't have that much health until I shot them down with a pistol. Made me waste my precious rockets. :(
Yeah, the small floating robots are usually one shot kills with the shotgun at close to medium range: easy to despatch and only really a menace in large numbers.

Difficulty-wise, "Medium" is intended as pretty much default. It shouldn't be thought of in terms of Doom difficulties (partly why I changed the names). The idea is that "Medium" should be tough-ish but not too tough whereas "Hard" should be really quite testing. "Too Hard?" is not "Nightmare". Enemies are more agressive and you take more damage but there is no respawning of enemies. The main reason for the "Too Hard?" name was mainly to have something that began with a letter other than that of the other difficulties for the hotkey shortcut. The name isn't great but it wasn't "Nightmare" in style, so that name was out. The easy settings are probably too easy for your average seasoned Doomer.
Nash wrote:(Unrelated to project) why do the GZDoom 2.x dev builds still include glew32.dll? It's no longer needed isn't it?
Probably just because the automatic system that packages up the builds hasn't been updated so that it no longer adds the GLEW file to the archive. It has been reported on the forum by Blue Shadow.
blackfish wrote:(Still Offtopic) Also it appears to ignore QEffectsGL now, which is a bummer.
It does. QEffects is not compatible with the latest GZDoom.
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php? ... 01&p=55576
SyntherAugustus

Booted it up in the last 1.9 dev build and the model interpolation works so the animations work better. Also QEffectsGL still works here so that's also a plus. Hooray!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with that version. I don't recall specifically targeting any particularly new features but that doesn't mean that I didn't use any. It might work OK on that version. Like I said, It'll be interesting to hear how you get on.
SyntherAugustus

I had to update because it gave me errors with the april 2014 build of GZDoom I had. The first thing I did was to upgrade to the latest, which was some 2.1 pre version. After Nash mentioned the model interpolation bug I decided to try the last 1.9 build in the devbuilds list, which allowed to be see what the models are actually meant to look like, and it looks better.

I would tell people to not use the 2.0+ builds until the interpolation is fixed, much like Nash mentioned.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I finished this map after playing about 59 minutes (on very easy XD) using gzdoom-G1.9pre-828-g60ff6c5 (the last devbuild before 2.x) and I don't think I ran into any game-breaking issues.

This map is BEAUTIFUL!

Will play more thoroughly when GZDoom 2.x gets its withstanding bugs fixed and I'll be sure not to rush through the map like I did this time around.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Nash wrote:using gzdoom-G1.9pre-828-g60ff6c5 (the last devbuild before 2.x)
GZDoom 1.8.7 has the latest features. I can confirm this because I used 2.0.03 and played with a friend using 1.8.7 without any syncing issues.
SyntherAugustus

http://imgur.com/O1XOF8U

I just started exploring the blue key room and noticed this bugger. Is this an endgame secret or something I could get before going into the next big area with the robot dude?

Also I found it hilarious that a rocket launcher lady was waiting in the girls bathroom. That's what I get for exploring.
Nash

Post by Nash »

^ I never ended up getting that BFG, or the railgun by the final battle... definitely need to not rush through this map in my next playthrough =P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If you want to get the BFG...
Spoiler:
I *think* there are three railguns in the map:
Spoiler:
These weapons are deliberately hard to find/rare because they are quite "ultimate" in style and there are a lot of weapons in the game anyway.

I originally thought about having an NPC give you an ultimate weapon of your choice (so you'd only get one) but went this route instead.
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

I don't know how, but GZDoom does not look like Doom with your mod. You sir, have made my favorite mod. I just don't know, but the 3D models and everything make the game awesome. I am awaiting for more updates for this mod.

One thing I noticed is that I went a floor up from my spawn point, and I noticed something very funny. I killed an NPC, but then it's corpse glitched. Like not to make anything sound sexually weird, but it was like being humped by nothing. OH MA GAD! Dead corpses have seisures! LOL

But seriously, I love this mod. Nuff said. The 3D models just make up for everything.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

DoomCraft wrote:I don't know how, but GZDoom does not look like Doom with your mod. You sir, have made my favorite mod. I just don't know, but the 3D models and everything make the game awesome. I am awaiting for more updates for this mod.
Thank you. :)
DoomCraft wrote:One thing I noticed is that I went a floor up from my spawn point, and I noticed something very funny. I killed an NPC, but then it's corpse glitched. Like not to make anything sound sexually weird, but it was like being humped by nothing. OH MA GAD! Dead corpses have seisures! LOL
Ah! So that's happened to you too. That's precisely the glitch I got that I was talking about in my release post. I put a safeguard into the code but it looks like I failed to stop the problem.

I'm really not sure what's causing it. My best guess is that it is something to do with the NPC cowering down and dying at the same time. The individual state sequences all seem legal and legitimate enough. The cowering is handled by giving the NPC an inventory item and, if found, the NPC cowers down. When he dies, if he is cowering, he should go into a suitable death sequence from a cowered position rather than standing up only to fall down dead immediately afterwards (which is what it would look like if he used the standard death sequence).

When the NPC dies, it checks for the presence of the inventory item and, if it's there, he should be cowering and so he uses the cowering death animation. However, for some reason, this animation seems to mess up occasionally (I've only seen it once in many, many tests). I really don't know why it happens though. The cowering death sequence is very standard with one frame following on from another until there is one with a -1 duration. Looking at the model and the skin it is using at the time, it must already be dead and in the cowering death sequence so I have no idea why it gets stuck and judders in place rather than completing the death. If anyone knows, I'd be glad to hear about it. I thought it migh be something to do with, perhaps, the inventory item being either given or taken at the exact moment of death (which is why my failed safeguard was to take the item away) but I'm not sure why that would mess things up.

Ah well, a glitch like that makes it seem like an AAA Bethesda game anyway. :lol:

[edit] I'm testing adding an [wiki]A_Die[/wiki] pointer to the Cowering death sequence to force death to see if that makes any difference. Unfortunately, with it happening so rarely, I can't really be sure that I will have cured the problem. There is a custom pain state sequence that heals enemies after thay have been alerted by some damage but if that was the source of the problem, I'd have expected to see it far more commonly and in all actor types.[/edit]
thonglover
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by thonglover »

I keep getting this error
Script error, "njgtb4ts.pk3:actors/enemies/strogg/tankboss.txt" line 105:
Unknown identifier 'CHAN_5'
Script error, "njgtb4ts.pk3:actors/enemies/strogg/tankboss.txt" line 109:
Unknown identifier 'CHAN_6'
Script error, "njgtb4ts.pk3:actors/enemies/strogg/tankboss.txt" line 354:
Unknown identifier 'CHAN_7'
Script error, "njgtb4ts.pk3:actors/enemies/strogg/tankboss.txt" line 459:
Unknown identifier 'CHAN_5'
Script error, "njgtb4ts.pk3:actors/enemies/strogg/tankboss.txt" line 463: