[WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Demo Updated

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Scuba Steve

Re: [WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Demo Released

Post by Scuba Steve »

Pyroscourge wrote:
Scuba Steve wrote:Thank you for the kind words. I hope you enjoy the rest of the mod, and that your experience isn't soured by the lack of a map.
What about a map similar to Grove? just a general purpose picture without specific paths? Maybe the map is just an image that comes up and as you encounter new places they are added to the map?
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

FishyClockwork wrote: If an actor spawns something every few ticks (such as torches, smoke spawners, particle spawners, etc, etc), pretty please make use of A_CheckSightOrRange. Especially if there are several such actors on a map. The difference is small, yes, but it just makes it bearable for me.

You see, the first time I entered the Lake I gave up because the framerate was so horrible. So I took a look at the decorate and made a small patch of sorts which simply makes several "Special Effects" actors use A_CheckSightOrRange. (Some of these I'm not too sure with, since they don't spawn anything but otherwise bothered me with their use of A_Look and A_Chase. So you may ignore those.)

In case you want to see what I've done, here:
patched-actors.pk3
(It's a bit sloppy, I admit.)
I've probably missed a few actors; I didn't want to dig too deep, didn't want to spoil myself too much.
Apologies for missing this before. I would like to try to optimize S.U.P.E.R Natural as much as possible, so I'll try my best to work on this in the future. I may just make the fog able to turn on and off, as well. Did you try turning off reflective flats in the lake? That is usually the biggest frame-rate destroyer there. Regardless, I hope you had fun for the parts where you didn't lag to death.

FishyClockwork wrote: Also there's something curious about one of the creatures:
Spoiler:
The Avoid sounds working like that are intentional.

FishyClockwork wrote:I could be wrong here but I think I found a small mapping error.
Specifically, map 2MLITARY, linedef 72312.
Spoiler: image
The green light texture is already there but it's not aligned properly.
Thanks, I missed that texture bug!

Scuba Steve wrote:
Pyroscourge wrote:
Scuba Steve wrote:Thank you for the kind words. I hope you enjoy the rest of the mod, and that your experience isn't soured by the lack of a map.
What about a map similar to Grove? just a general purpose picture without specific paths? Maybe the map is just an image that comes up and as you encounter new places they are added to the map?
I hadn't considered making a map in the same style as Grove. I might actually consider that for future versions, since it's really unique, but first I'll see how the regular automap implementation that I made goes. Thank you for the suggestions, I'll keep it in mind.
Discordance

Post by Discordance »

FishyClockwork wrote: map 2MLITARY, linedef 72312
One single map.
Holy fuck this is more insane than I initially comprehended.
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

:wink:
Spoiler:
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

I played the demo of this mod, it's looking very nice so far, but I've had a few annoyances. The first little annoyance I had was the invisible wall on the road. I know it's there for obvious reasons, but it doesn't make any real sense. Maybe some fallen trees or something could be blocking my way. There were a few inconsistencies regarding what I could and couldn't walk in or on. For example, I couldn't walk on a fire place, but I could stand on top of lit torches. The last annoyance I had was that the all powerful super demon was thwarted when I stood on some boxes, near the river. Another thing I didn't like is how fast the creatures in the river acted.

These are just some minor complaints, though. There are alot of positive things about this demo that I've seen so far. The maps are pretty large and detailed, and very atmospheric, the maps have some good flow, and there are many paths to take. A neat visual effect that I really liked was the use of 3D floors with additive blending on the broadcasting tower's map. There was some nice usage of the portal effect, and lots of dynamic lights and fog. Basically, the maps are good and they look good. The journal is pretty nice, although it would be even better if I could record custom notes in there, instead of scripted notes.

This mod is seeming pretty solid so far. I can't wait to see the finished thing. Also, I think it'd be nice if you moved the mod from .wad to a .pk3, it might be time consuming, but the mod's file size will hopefully shrink. On another note, I am very envious of your mapping ability. Good luck with the mod.
Pyroscourge

Re: [WIP] S.U.P.E.R Natural: Demo Updated

Post by Pyroscourge »

Alright, here's the updated version of the S.U.P.E.R Natural Demo. If you've already played, you don't really need to play again, unless you are really keen to see the changes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzxprhsa8579j ... o.zip?dl=0

There are three major changes:

I've made the automap active again, but it only activates once you get to the Military Base (Powered on version). It has a rotating compass, along with the date and the name of the area you are in. There's a few quirks with it, which I haven't figured out yet. One problem is seen in the Lake; looking in one direction explores half the map instantly, due to the weird placement of impassable lines. There's no way to limit auto mapping range is there? There's another weird problem visible in the Military Base, where several areas are already explored. Can't figure that one out, it seems like there's nothing there relating those areas either. Regardless, if you want to try the new version, tell me if the map helps out, or if it's still just as confusing to find your way around.

The world map has been moved to the journal menu, and it isn't active until you reach the top of the Radio Tower.

The font has been increased in size by a slight amount. Any small change to the font size makes an absolutely ridiculous cascaded reaction though, so most of the journal has been changed in terms of position, and I think it looks better off for it.

I think I might of changed some other smaller things, but they aren't the major changes. Like I said, it might not be worth downloading the 100mb again unless you really want to see the changes. Besides, people who have played before can't really tell me how effective the map is, since they already kinda know where to go. : P

But regardless, I'll now move into working on the rest of the mod, which is probably gonna take a while. However, there are a few things I would like to reach out to the community for, to speed up some of the things that I am not the best at. If you want to contribute to S.U.P.E.R Natural in some small way, please read on.

Spriter

Don't worry, I don't mean 'guys make all my monster sprites for me pls', but rather something a bit simpler. Some of you who played may have noticed this guy in the Power Plant:
Spoiler:
It was my attempt at making something which looks like a regular human dressed in black. It doesn't look horrible (I think), but that's not the problem here. My main gripe is that it took me ages just to do that one sprite, even when it was based off another, and there is no way I could ever make at least one rotation for his standing still set, and then furthermore, make small little edits to his arm/leg positions, putting him in different poses, etc.

What I am asking for is someone who can make small consistent sprite edits, to a single sprite, not necessarily having full rotations either. Something similar to the changes with Scalliano's avatar. If you think you can help with that, please post here or shoot me a PM. Know that I may not need your assistance instantly, so make sure you'll still be around for a while.

Graphic Artist

Once again, not asking for a billion pretty pictures for the journal or something like that. Mainly, just for the titlepic and maybe for the background of the world map. Both of which would be relatively reserved anyway. This isn't really required, I mean, Winter's Fury still uses the regular doom 2 titlepic, and the world map looks fine with the black background. Regardless, If you want to flex your artistic muscles, then post here or shoot me a PM. I might think of some other smaller things as well, if you don't think you can do something as big as a map.

Voice Actors

This one won't be relevant for a while, but if you've played through the whole demo (and waited around a bit at the end), you should know that I intend to have characters talk to you in S.U.P.E.R Natural (the Audio log section gives it away a bit, too). If you have the ability to make relatively high quality voice samples, I would like to ask for your assistance. I already have a few people in real life doing some voice stuff for me, so I don't need a million people helping, but if a few of you are keen I would be happy to let you record some stuff. Post here or shoot me a PM if you think you can help. Remember, this is probably one of the last things I'll do in the mod, so asking people now is a bit premature of me. I just thought I would let people know now, in case they intend to stick around until the finished project.

I can't think of anything else that I need from you guys off the top of my head, so I'll leave it at that. Thank you for playing the mod demo, and I'll keep you guys updated on progress, like usual.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'd be willing to do voicework. I've got a moderate-quality mic (Blue Snowball), and though I lack actor training of any kind, I'm told I have a pleasant voice and do good recitations...
Jblade

Post by Jblade »

I'd be more than happy to do voicework (I've done a bunch for my Duke mods) and I'm not going anywhere so I'll be around still when you're at the stage you need to do voices.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Pyroscourge: For testing conveniences, I've implemented a working Buddha check. This will allow players to survive more than one hit.

Code: Select all

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////////////////////Damage///////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

int DPlayerAngle;
int DPlayerPitch;
int RecentDamage;
int BuddhaHealthCheck;

Script 16600 (int Damage)
{

//PrintBold(s:"Debug");

DPlayerAngle = GetActorAngle(1000);
	DPlayerPitch = GetActorPitch(1000);

if(Damage <= 1) //takes 2 hits to kill.
	{
		//2 second invuln after 1 damage.
		if(RecentDamage == 1)
		{
		Terminate;
		}
		//PrintBold(s:"Damage == 1");
		if(Health > 1)
		{
			//PrintBold(s:"Health equaled 2");
			Health = 1;
			RecentDamage = 1;
			SetActorAngle(1000,DPlayerAngle+(Random(Random(-0.075,-0.025),Random(0.025,0.075))));
			SetActorPitch(1000,DPlayerPitch+(Random(Random(-0.075,-0.025),Random(0.025,0.075))));
			Thing_Damage(1000,50,0);
			Acs_NamedExecute("DamageTimer",0);
		}
		else
		{
			if (CheckFlag(1000,"NODAMAGE"))
			{
				//PrintBold(s:"Immune");
				Terminate;
			}	
			BuddhaHealthCheck = GetActorProperty(1000,APROP_Health); //Record current HP here.
			SetActorProperty(1000,APROP_Health,1); //Set health to 1.
			Thing_Damage(1000,50,0); //If they live, it's simple: they have buddha mode on.
			if (GetActorProperty(1000,APROP_Health) > 0)
			{
				//PrintBold(s:"Saved");
				SetActorProperty(1000,APROP_Health,BuddhaHealthCheck); //Restore it, because otherwise bad things will happen if buddha mode is turned off (so much for health regen.)
				Terminate;
			}	
			//PrintBold(s:"Health equaled 1");
			Health = 0;
			Acs_Terminate(16500,0);
			SetActorAngle(1000,DPlayerAngle+(Random(Random(-0.075,-0.025),Random(0.025,0.075))));
			SetActorPitch(1000,DPlayerPitch+(Random(Random(-0.075,-0.025),Random(0.025,0.075))));
			//Thing_Destroy(1000,0);
			GiveInventory("TargetDead",1);
			Delay(105);
			SetHudSize(370,290,1);
			HudMessageBold(s:"Game Over";HUDMSG_FADEINOUT,1,CR_PURPLE,185.0,100.0,999999.0,2.0,999999.0);
			Delay(140);
			HudMessageBold(s:"Game Over";HUDMSG_PLAIN,1,CR_BLACK,185.0,100.0,0.0);
			Delay(2);
			HudMessageBold(s:"Game Over";HUDMSG_PLAIN,1,CR_PURPLE,185.0,100.0,0.0);
			Delay(3);
			Delay(3);
			Delay(1);
			Delay(1);
			Delay(35);
			Delay(3);
			Delay(3);
			Delay(1);
			Delay(1);
		}

}

else if (Damage == 2) //Damage equals 2 or higher instant death
	{
		if (CheckFlag(1000,"NODAMAGE"))
		{
			//PrintBold(s:"Immune");
			Terminate;
		}
		BuddhaHealthCheck = GetActorProperty(1000,APROP_Health);
		SetActorProperty(1000,APROP_Health,1);
		Thing_Damage(1000,50,0);
		if (GetActorProperty(1000,APROP_Health) > 0)
		{
			//PrintBold(s:"Saved");
			SetActorProperty(1000,APROP_Health,BuddhaHealthCheck);
			Terminate;
		}
		//PrintBold(s:"Health equaled 1");
		Health = 0;
		Acs_Terminate(16500,0);
		SetActorAngle(1000,DPlayerAngle+(Random(-0.075,0.075)));
		SetActorPitch(1000,DPlayerPitch+(Random(-0.075,0.075)));
		Thing_Destroy(1000,0);
		Delay(105);
		SetHudSize(370,290,1);
		HudMessageBold(s:"Game Over";HUDMSG_FADEINOUT,1,CR_PURPLE,185.0,100.0,999999.0,2.0,999999.0);
		Delay(140);
		Delay(2);
		Delay(3);
		Delay(3);
		Delay(1);
		Delay(1);
		Delay(35);
		Delay(3);
		Delay(3);
		Delay(1);
		Delay(1);
	}
	else
	{
		Health = 0;
		Acs_Terminate(16500,0);
		SetActorAngle(1000,DPlayerAngle+(Random(-0.075,0.075)));
		SetActorPitch(1000,DPlayerPitch+(Random(-0.075,0.075)));
		Thing_Destroy(1000,0);
		Delay(105);
		SetHudSize(370,290,1);
		Delay(140);
		Delay(2);
		Delay(3);
		Delay(3);
		Delay(1);
		Delay(1);
		Delay(35);
		Delay(3);
		Delay(3);
		Delay(1);
		Delay(1);
	}
}
Consider using instant death as 3 instead of 2 for teleporting the actor and then killing them, such as Eye's red fade, Smile's suction, etc. This allows for much easier testing of things without the risk of dying and breaking god/buddha.

Another thing: Add "Death:" above your "Remove:" states with A_JumpIf(health <= 0,2) above it for all monsters, followed by A_ChangeFlag("COUNTKILL",0) to fix the kill count issues. This also ensures they all die and go to the remove state without leaving a bunch of messed up kill count numbers.

Some characters like the Eyes will need another A_JumpIf(health <= 0,2) over the script execution if you want to stop them from enacting it. I don't know why you gave Smile a crash state, but there's no reason for it to have one, especially if you intend to kill it off somehow.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Major Cooke wrote:Another thing: Add "Death:" above your "Remove:" states with A_JumpIf(health <= 0,2) above it for all monsters, followed by A_ChangeFlag("COUNTKILL",0) to fix the kill count issues. This also ensures they all die and go to the remove state without leaving a bunch of messed up kill count numbers.
...or just use Thing_Remove, like I said before.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Spoiler: Sewer oversight
Also, I thought there might be an automap for the sewers? I ask this because one could be lost for hours...
Spoiler:
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Alright, after experimenting around with Smile, I realized that she is having a hard time going down some tunnels, especially along turns. This would often get her stuck quite a bit, going up and down the same tunnel for quite a long time... and sometimes even making progress along certain tunnels impossible without having to confront her, just to run away. Here is what I suggest for the new speed and better movement for this nightmare:

Speed 50

See:
		TNT1 A 0 A_Chase
		TNT1 A 1 A_Chase
		TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItemEx("SmileDarkSpread",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0)
		TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfCloser(2048,"Smile")
		TNT1 A 0 A_Wander
		TNT1 A 1 A_Wander
		TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("smile/ambient",0,12.0,TRUE,0.2)
		TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("sfxsource/evilbass3",0,10.0,TRUE,0.8)
		TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfCloser(2048,"Smile")
		//TNT1 A 0 BRIGHT A_JumpIfCloser(20000,"ContSee")
		//Goto TeleSeeNoSound
		Goto See+1
perfectpitchrob

Post by perfectpitchrob »

Finally finished the demo. It's been a long time since I managed to be genuinely scared in a doom wad, or any game for that matter. It has a very unique feel, helped no doubt due to the usual doom standbys, such as weapons and barrages of enemies, being absent.

I only had a few minor gripes, some of which (framerate/lag) are just due to my older machine and doesn't have any effect on how I rated the game overall. One issue I had was the PDA not being able to scroll to the bottom of the page when you press up while on the top of the list (and visa versa). Some of the PDA's categories such as "Notes" became chores to manipulate through due to this minor issue.

As for the levels and enemies themselves -
Spoiler:
Overall, this game shows a lot of promise. I was fully immersed in the story and locale and am curious as to what lies ahead. Out of curiosity, have any of the subsequent stages been started yet or is what I played all that has been made? Either way, I anxiously look forward to the final product!
Paceytron

Post by Paceytron »

Love the mod to bits. Thought I'd add this here...

*Edit: Fixed up the image or rather got rid of some gum and pixelated the teeth slightly to suit the picture better.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Apparently, automap with floor/ceiling textures cannot be hidden. Only lines.
Spoiler:

Return to “Levels”