[V1.1! ]Doom Vietnam

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sgt. Shivers

[V1.1! ]Doom Vietnam

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Hey, Doomers! This is a single map I've been working off and on for the last few weeks.
This takes place in the Vietnam War, you've been tasked with tracking down some maps of POW Camps. Look out for VC hiding in tall grass!

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Credits are included in the WAD file. I'd really like to know what you guys think of it and what could be improved.
Please note that this WAD is not multiplayer compatible ...yet.
Please run in GZDoom.

The Mod has been Updated!

Download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgczmeompyfav ... %201.1.wad
Last edited by Sgt. Shivers on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoloSpaghetti

Re: Doom Vietnam

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

I've just played trough it... It's not bad, some things need improvement in my opinion:
Spoiler: Opinions
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

SoloSpaghetti wrote: M16 (M4?)

M16. The M4 was made in the 1990's.

EDIT: Thoughts on the mod? It was really fun, I loved it. It wasn't totally run & gun, it made me make use of those sandbags and crates quite often. However, SoloSpaghetti is right about the pistol- it's totally useless since the M16 is right there. Besides that, the mod was good.

I'd love to see more levels for this! :)
Last edited by TheMightyHeracross on Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Because this would be a vietnam war era m16, wouldn't it be kinda cool for it to jam every once in a while?
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Oh my. This + some fancy colored, spooky lighting and fog could be a dream.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

*War flashbacks*
*Single teardrop*

It's good. Nice natural environments and such, I like it so far.
Vietnam war movies tend to have this trope of having everything filled with makeshift deadly traps with pointy logs and stuff. Should I expect some of those?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Image
Dat triangular forearm - I can feel the nightmares coming back already!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I like this - weapons and monsters are a bit basic but I definitely like the vibe. Definitely a lot less uniformly claustrophobic than the jungle map in Twilight Warrior.

Is there a semiauto mode for the gun? Accuracy is definitely a huge advantage you have over the opfor on this map so the fullauto gets a bit frustrating at times.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

How did you rip the sprites from Nam?
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

I played NAM + SEAL TEAM (dos required) before (not pro @ them though). I think this project can benefit (hopefully w/o not much burden) from a semi-combination. I really like the NAM npc scripts + weapons. Unfortunately, NAM suffers b/c of some enemies just popping out of teleporters + stuff like that. You always have to watch your back + building interiors are your only sure cover (once you clear the inside parameters). As a Duke3D clone, it's okay in its own right.

SEAL TEAM is an old game w/ some simple graphics, but I still like the sprites and there seems to be more interaction (although it might get boring after it drags on [been shooting grenades {have to finish the "no ammo capacity limit option" game session campaign sometimes}]).

You command fire team of four (out of a limited list of men [statistics!]) to follow certain commands.
Spoiler:
You issue support orders in the terms of heavy artillery.
Spoiler:
You/team can use misc stuff (medical kits, prisoner handling kit [stealth required]) + detect/disarm booby traps (pits [target falls into hidden square], trip wires [activates grenade/land mine], + stakes [like Shadow Warrior caltrops embedded in ground]).

Aside from teams, you get a list of other stuff. You can also reinsert for the sake of enemy confusion (but I highly doubt that would be effective/efficient in rl). Various primary/secondary/voluntary objectives. Landscape stretches for miles (or @ least to cover a potential chase scenario). Day/night transition. Weather transition. Interactive (destructible) blocking trees/houses. Interactive (destructible) noisy grass/plants. Cows/carts/civilians (they all supposed rare to see, but damage to these actors will incur heavy consequences [civilians seeing team might cause panic noise {don't know why though so I capture them too when possible}]). RPG stats experience (should make the missions much easier to complete). You can take your time on the missions until you succeed or fail. Best of all, the SEAL TEAM maps uses more tree/plant actors (I can't say for slopes though) to create a jungle. I guess you can say I like destroying trees and mucking into water/plants. I almost forgot about me like the SEAL TEAM music too (e.g. Rolling Stones - Paint It Black mid), but I had not gotten to rip any of the resources just yet.

Basically, SEAL TEAM is a strategy/simulation w/ less emphasis on fps elements. However, I don't mind those fps elements. Thought some of these paragraphs (although annoyingly boring and NAM looks like more army than navy perspective) could serve as ideas for this project.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

xenoxols wrote:How did you rip the sprites from Nam?
The .ART files are in the GRP file.
xenoxols wrote:Because this would be a vietnam war era m16, wouldn't it be kinda cool for it to jam every once in a while?
Hmm, if I make another level I might put in an M60 with a chance to jam. Since you rely on the M16 a lot it would be a pain to have it jam often.
Slax wrote:Oh my. This + some fancy colored, spooky lighting and fog could be a dream.
That could be interesting, I might put some orange-ish evening fog in. The only thing I'm worried about is that the tall grass already obscures enemies quite a bit.
Hetdegon wrote:*War flashbacks*
*Single teardrop*

It's good. Nice natural environments and such, I like it so far.
Vietnam war movies tend to have this trope of having everything filled with makeshift deadly traps with pointy logs and stuff. Should I expect some of those?
I was thinking of putting landmines in but I couldn't think of a way to do it without it being cheap. Maybe I could do something like in Arctic Wolf? (Slightly off flat texture)
Vaecrius wrote:I like this - weapons and monsters are a bit basic but I definitely like the vibe. Definitely a lot less uniformly claustrophobic than the jungle map in Twilight Warrior.

Is there a semiauto mode for the gun? Accuracy is definitely a huge advantage you have over the opfor on this map so the fullauto gets a bit frustrating at times.
I can put in a single shot altfire.
RV-007 wrote:Basically, SEAL TEAM is a strategy/simulation w/ less emphasis on fps elements. However, I don't mind those fps elements. Thought some of these paragraphs (although annoyingly boring and NAM looks like more army than navy perspective) could serve as ideas for this project.
I actually like the sound of that. It could be interesting to have a team to command, but I'd definitely need help with the coding.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Hmm, if I make another level I might put in an M60 with a chance to jam. Since you rely on the M16 a lot it would be a pain to have it jam often.
That could be the point - you have to kill a dude to upgrade to an AK, and be rewarded for getting them before they run out of ammo for you to loot :P

(though the M16 might be more precise over long distances, especially when you can actually rely on the sights being properly zeroed whereas you know nothing about the VC's quality control on this sort of thing)
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

People probably already pointed these out but here are my thoughts

The Colt and M16 share ammotype, the Colt is utterly useless since you get the M16 right at the start and there is way too much ammo in the level. I never ran out. In real life these weapons would use separate ammo, I think this would work best here.

The music is really out of place. Some more jungle themed music would be fitting.

More detail to the level, it felt kinda blocky in places and not really convincing as a jungle.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

LIGHTYEARS better than Marine Heavy Gunner Vietnam (City Interactive)
Outstanding work!!! :)
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Did I mention that this is MUCH BETTER than Nam? Even though that isn't saying much, I have yet to see a good Vietnam fps experience, and this is a very good start.

Return to “Levels”