Z-Kart discussion

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
scalliano

Z-Kart discussion

Post by scalliano »

Posting this in Editing for the meantime because vapourware.

Decided to give this topic its own thread as it's kind of taken on a life of its own over on the Carnival.

It would appear that there is still an appetite for a kart racer in the ZDoom engine, and I for one would be only too willing to contribute to its creation. This thread is purely for the exchange of ideas at this stage. If enough people are interested and we end up with something concrete, who knows? Maybe it could end up as a proper community project.

If this project is to happen for real, here's how I see it panning out.

1. We need coders. Experienced ACS people. The mod will need to handle such things as kart physics, laps, lap times, player positions/rankings and appropriate respawn points for players who wipe out. Once the actual game mechanics are in place, the rest should be relatively easy.

2. Sprites and DECORATE. If we keep with the SNES SMK style already demonstrated on the Carnival, spriting different characters shouldn't be too difficult, other than the need for the full 16 rotations. Weapons and item boxes could be handled in DECORATE relatively easily using random spawners or pickup states, unless we go for the fruit machine style of weapon selection, in which case ACS would need to be employed. I already have the item box sprites done :mrgreen:

3. Maps. The circuits really don't need to be that large or complex, although the sky's the limit here. It's more down to what themes to use in this regard, and I would be inclined to base the maps off areas from the IWADS themselves. For example, driving through a techbase and emerging into a huge atrium where the road gets rather twisty, with a drop into green ooze on either side. Sound familiar?

That's pretty much all I have for the moment as it's quite late here, but all input is welcome. For the record, I couls contribute sprites, maps and some DECORATE, but I would need a lot of help with the scripting.
SuperSomariDX

Re: Z-Kart discussion

Post by SuperSomariDX »

Should we shuffle from Games?

Like Some Themes like: Strife/Hexen and others so to say?

You know, Techbase and hell for Doom?

But Giant Castle based for Heretic/Hexen geared maps?
a1337spy

Post by a1337spy »

Is there a base kart sprite one could work off of anywhere?
SuperSomariDX

Post by SuperSomariDX »

Plain SMK base sprites? Yes. There's some on Mario Fan Games Galaxy. There's also a Pipe Kart and the Mario Kart Wii based one I used for Keen.

(Edit: I've put them all in one sheet for you guys, original sprite credit tags and all left intact)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Last edited by SuperSomariDX on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
idGamer

Post by idGamer »

I could probably contribute a map and maybe some racer sprites.

Although, another question I'd like to bring up; would people rather have skins or different classes for the different racers?
I personally prefer classes, because I feel it'll allow much more customization than skins would.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Our hero. Zoomguy!
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

:o My coment started a revolution! :D

But why do we need 16 rotations instead of the traditional 8?
SuperSomariDX wrote:Should we shuffle from Games?

That would be really good.We could expand it to non Doom engine games.

__

BTW, I guess my ACS is not good enought to help with the main race code, but I'd love to help with (at least) one map, in wich I could set the ACS and create the DECORATE neeeded.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

I'd definitely be willing to do some code, hit me up via PM if you're interested.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

SuperSomariDX wrote:Should we shuffle from Games?

A dungeon map based on Wolfenstein would be a great idea, and maybe the 1st level of Duke Nukem 3D.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

I could help with a pack of maps with different themes here (around 5 or 6 maps should be enough in addition to other mappers maps). If this comes true this is gonna be THE MOD we have all waiting for a long time :D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

i'm really looking foward for this.
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

I can try to sprite racer version of DoomRL characters if you want. :P
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

I've started programming a little demo to see how all of it can be done, and I managed to get working splitscreen:

2-Player
4-Player
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

The courses could be divided in IWAD cups and PWAD cups, IWAD cups are based on Doom, Doom2, Hexen and Heretic's levels, while PWAD cups are based on famous user mods like action doom or pirate doom

Also obviously this thing should be done for Zandronum

I can help with sprites and maps
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Woo!

My preferred intention with my car script was to develop it as a plug-in addition to anyone's mod, and have the community build a mod around it to provide a solid example.

So I offer my in-development scripts for kart physics.

There is, however, one stumbling block I came across and was trying to fix the last time I did work on them. Namely, the slope code. There's a long standing (bug? by design?) issue with slopes where the stepping code gets overzealous as soon as you overlap an adjacent sector (say, at the top of a ramp). Once your radius overlaps, it takes the highest Z value it can. The workarounds I was attempting for it (such as velocity extraction over a number of frames) just weren't working. This makes jumps impossible, you're always going to just coast off them like any old ordinary ledge.

If we want proper kart physics with slopes in the maps, we probably need an engine solution that disables the step-up code.

EDIT: And I hope the intention is to just base the karts off ordinary Doom sprites. Because I *really* wouldn't be happy with ponies in the mod.

What? They don't need to be in everything.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”