[WIP] Sneaky Doom - New A.I.!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josh771

Re: [WIP] Sneaky Doom - Silenced MP5 Added

Post by Josh771 »

Update! Added the silent MP5, which is able to catch small groups off-guard for multiple kill-shots. Try firing it in short bursts, though, or you'll eat up your ammo. Chaingunners now drop ammo boxes; the MP5 replaces Chainguns on the map.

EDIT: Made landing from heights produce loud footsteps; no more skipping silently by jumping. Crouching now halves the sound of your footsteps so you can move more quickly undetected or land more quietly after falls.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Glad to see you're really moving along with this! The addition of footsteps and sneak attacks is a huge step in the right direction for all us Thief, Splinter Cell, etc fans.

Played the new version and the new MP5 is pretty cool. Feels a little similar to the pistol right now, though. Will you be adding reloading or anything like that? And it'd be cool if you could change the armors so they affect sneaking somehow, maybe like basic sneaking suit and a high tech, more effective one one for the tiers.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I've considered adding reloading from day one; it might be GoldenEye style reloading using offsets, but it would at least add to the tactical gameplay. I know the MP5 is very similar to the pistol right now, but it does allow you to handle 2 or 3 monsters with one bullet each, if you're quick about it. Monsters take a fraction of a second to notice dead friends, but that window is enough to cause serious damage if you're firing full-auto from the shadows. I've taken down small parties on some maps by spraying them with the MP5 from one side to the other.

As for the armors, I hadn't really given them much thought. I might make one a bulletproof vest and the other a stealth suit. One wouldn't help you stay hidden, but would help a lot in the staying alive department; the other is not so protective, but it makes you stealthier until it breaks. Hmm... I like this idea.

Also, should there be classes, I wonder? There could be stealthier and tankier options. Might provide some variety to multiplayer, too, if anyone's even doing that. What would be really interesting would be something similar to Versus mode in the Splinter Cell games -- a spy class and a guard class. Spies would be stealthier and squishier, guards would be noisy and tough.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, that would be good for armors; would you just leave them as is where you pick up the stronger one, or make it so you wear suits kind of like DoomRL?
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I'm thinking about letting the player carry one of each, and maybe carry stimpacks / medikits too. Also, I've made the pistol and MP5 reload now.
Josh771

Re: [WIP] Sneaky Doom - Stealth Suit Added

Post by Josh771 »

Update time! I've replaced green armor with a Kevlar vest; highly effective against bullet attacks, but not much else. I've replaced blue armor with a stealth suit. It offers little protection but makes you harder to see until you replace it with Kevlar or it is destroyed.

I've delayed the alert caused by dying monsters, making it much easier to pull off multiple assassinations. You can now swiftly handle a pair of targets with the silenced pistol with neither knowing the other died. The MP5 can mow down moderately sized groups if they are caught unaware.

Some monsters have better senses than others now. Imps, demons, and arachnotrons all have improved vision. The cacodemon and pain elemental have degraded vision. I'm considering adding the stealth code to the lost soul and spectre soon.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the pistol and MP5 now use a reloading system.

I also put a suitable song ("Stealthy and Chilled") of mine and a simple title/intermission pic in the mod. It makes the file size a touch larger; if anyone needs, I can make that optional.
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

this one is also nice[integaly silenced asult rifle] it is a multicaliber built.Fairly modern for doom timeline[5.56x45 or .300 blackout] http://www.lannertactical.com/SUB-RAVEN-AR15.html

SR-3 / SR-3M "Vikhr small ar for subsonic ammo

http://world.guns.ru/assault/rus/cp-3-c ... tex-e.html
as val
AS "Val" silenced assault rifle (USSR / Russia) http://world.guns.ru/assault/rus/as-val-e.html
my point is-mp5sd looks somewhat absolete.. shotgun can have a silencer
please allow reloading for all weapons in mod.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

now that's really meanie-sneakie, nice work! and one note; monsters are sure stop moving and scream and shout a lot when i duck and start sneaking around, though.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

@Captain J - Yeah, the monsters are terribly loud if you sneak away from a large group of them. I might be able to help that problem by randomizing the chance that they lose you a little more. They cry out when they've lost track of you, which gives the player a sign that he's given that monster the slip.

Of course, I could always make monsters give up quietly, but that would make it a bit harder on our doomed agent.

@wolf00 - I'd love to expand the armory, but it's going to take some time. I'm aware that shotguns can have silencers, but unless someone can convince me that it's a commonplace armament in covert operations I'd like to dodge that option. The MP5 is kind of an overused fallback for stealth and tactical shooters (SoF II, FarCry games, the list goes on), and I admit that, but it's a fairly reliable weapon that I'm rather fond of in my games.

Since I'm not doing my own sprite work (apart from minor edits), I'll have to see about convincing someone to put together new sprites if I want to add those assault rifles and SMGs. Otherwise, I'm most likely going to work with what's readily available. I'm open to suggestions and input, but a lot of things may simply not get added. But I'll keep it in mind. :)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

It's probably easier to just leave the shotgun loud and make it a fallback weapon if you absolutely have to fight. Maybe slow to get out but it has high damage up close? The tricky part with stealth is balancing your equipment so you're still encouraged to sneak, and not completely screwed if you're detected, but also not able to completely ignore the stealth system and just slug it out.

Also maybe a way to get around the constant monster noise would be to change the monster sounds? To make things creepier while sneaking you could make them have creepier noises so they sound like they searching instead of just making pain sounds.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

If I use the active sound when they lose track of you, it will become more ambiguous. They make their active sounds when chasing you, so it would sound as though they were chasing you. Then again, they would become silent after that. Hmm... maybe I should change it out for that after all. Would add some suspense, make the player paranoid.

Right now I use the pain sound to make it clear that they can't find you. If these were just guards in a stealth game, I'd have them say "Where'd he go?" or "Damn! Lost him." But since these are demons and freshly possessed corpses, I had to improvise. :P

For the most part, I've increased the damage factor against the player to the point that all-out warfare shouldn't be an easy option. The shotgun has been remodeled for a more realistic spread, so it is an effective tool for dropping one target at a time. It's also a deadly weapon for ambushing -- you can use any weapon to pull off sneak critical damage as long as they don't hear it coming. Shooting an unaware Hell Knight with a shotgun is a guaranteed kill, although a little noisy.
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

ok if you using existing sprites,there is silenced .45 acp pistol in imortarl conduct special edition ...
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

This is awesome, except I have one complaint that is mostly just from me being a gun snob... silencers is all hollywood. They are called suppressors in real life (with good reason.)

Sort of like the mag vs. clip thing. Just drives me nuts. Oh, well.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

RexS wrote:This is awesome, except I have one complaint that is mostly just from me being a gun snob... silencers is all hollywood. They are called suppressors in real life (with good reason.)

Sort of like the mag vs. clip thing. Just drives me nuts. Oh, well.
Heh, it actually does bother me every time I see Doom call a magazine a "clip," but I wasn't really aware that silencer and suppressor weren't exchangeable terms. I'll store that away in my little book of gun knowledge I suppose. :)
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Yeah, the difference is that a "silencer" is the magical Hollywood invention that goes fwip and kills anyone instantly while their buddy two feet away is none the wiser. A "suppressor" simply turns a gunshot from a BANG! into a CracK! so it's less likely to be interpreted as a gunshot at first listen.

I've never played with one in real life, but based on the various comparisons I've seen/heard and hearing from others, the near-end scene in The Bourne Identify where Conklin gets shot is a pretty realistic depiction of a suppressor. It "snaps" loudly enough to echo in the alleyway, and even alerts a nearby dog, but doesn't sound like "OMG SOMEONE JUST SHOT SOMEONE."

8-)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”