Delaweare Release!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Scientist

Delaweare Release!

Post by Scientist »

Greetings,

I've created a short game using the Zdoom engine named "Delaweare". It's not just aimed at Doomers but also at people how don't play video games that often. As a result the difficulty setting "Medium" will be a total pushover for us Doomers. "Hard" on the other hand will be quite challenging :). The game is not focused on action but on visual and audio experiences. You can find more info and download the stand alone game here:
http://spaceisgreen.nl/delaweare.htm

Let me know what you guys think,
scientist (aka space is green)
mallo

Re: Delaweare Release!

Post by mallo »

Scientist wrote:short game
True.

I like it! The surrealistic-yet-geometric environment full of scrolling textures made me a bit confused, but that feeling went away after a while. The concept is interesting, too.

Also, you may want to add some sound in the menu - I've spent like, 15 minutes trying to figure out "why the heck the sound doesn't work?!". :P

The "hard" difficulty is truly living up to its name (final boss as the second enemy? :) )

Also, you may want to add some (most, actually) lines a "secret" flag to avoid the mess on automap.

Overall 4.5/5 (but that's only because "normal"'s too easy while "hard" is too, well, hard.)
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Incredibly unique atmosphere. Vaguely reminded me of the original TRON, but at the same time, it was all its own. I'm impressed.

I noticed that cycling weapons down when using the fists will just go back to track 01, instead of the highest track the player has. Looks like this is because slot 7 and slot 1 are both set to track 01.

Also, I extracted the .wad for this and played it on my own engine as an IWAD, and it seemed to run just fine. Was there anything I was missing from this experience? It didn't seem broken or incomplete this way, as far as I could tell.
Scientist

Post by Scientist »

Thanks for the kind words.
Looks like this is because slot 7 and slot 1 are both set to track 01.
Yes, track 1 is bound to both keys 1 and 7. The statusbar is a cosmetic alteration of the Doom status bar. In Doom there is no symbol in the status bar for weapon 1. The yellow "1" in the Delaweare statusbar is actually the "7". It's a quick but dirty fix :).
Also, I extracted the .wad for this and played it on my own engine as an IWAD, and it seemed to run just fine. Was there anything I was missing from this experience? It didn't seem broken or incomplete this way, as far as I could tell.
This should not give any problems. You would only miss the settings I provided in my ini file.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

looks pretty cool. :) it's always interesting to see games implementing music as a integral part of the gameplay, and the visuals look interesting. i'll probably give it a whirl sometime soon.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This was a very cool map, but damn is hard hard!
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

I can only play this in short intervals because it actually makes me physically ill, but what little I can bear at a time is spectacular!
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

This is very bizarre and unique, but I think you can take this idea further beyond a simple shooter. But the atmosphere felt very empty and the enemies were uninteresting, although maybe that is what you were shooting for (pun fully intended).
Scientist

Post by Scientist »

the atmosphere felt very empty and the enemies were uninteresting, although maybe that is what you were shooting for
Yes, it's meant to look very minimalistic using primitive shapes.
but I think you can take this idea further beyond a simple shooter
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I have used ZDoom for video animations:
http://spaceisgreen.nl/spaceisgreen/htm ... m/maps.htm
http://spaceisgreen.nl/spaceisgreen/htm ... m/grid.htm
http://spaceisgreen.nl/spaceisgreen/htm ... elines.htm

By the by, does anyone know what the chances are that the wad will be added to ZDoom's list of recognized IWADs at some point? That would be sweet :).
Scientist

Post by Scientist »

Delaweare got reviewed by Indie Impressions :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHKsiWuW2z8
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Very cool looking. :D
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

My eyes got slightly boggled, but that just made this all the more fun. :D
Average

Post by Average »

I finally got around to playing this and... Wow! I totally loved it. It's just what I dreamt games would be like in the future when I was wee. It seems the future has arrived!

I really, really hope you guys make more of this. I'd really love to see more levels and tracks. I really could play this for days and days! I love the abstract nature of the textures and level design and the music is lovely. As soon as I get paid I'll be buying the EP.

Goodness, it really got me thinking about a multiplayer arena version. Each player running around with their own track playing, the songs getting louder as they close in on each other and fading out as they back off. It could make for a serious cacophany! Perhaps each map would have the different tracks set at the same (or complimenting) BPM and using harmonising scales so that the tracks of each player could blend to create bigger mix as they duke it out... My head's spinning with ideas!

Thanks so much for making me (and I'm sure others) really happy and taking me back to my childhood imaginings!

[/ gushing ends]
Scientist

Post by Scientist »

Thanks for the praise :D. Right now you can only multiplay peer-to-peer. Sadly Zandronum doesn't support it yet.
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

This...

...has got to be one of the weirdest games I have played for a long time.

The gameplay was kind of boring. Not to sound harsh, but it was. You just, ugh, run around in some open field, shooting some spheres that shoot back at you directly without any kind of deviation and variance, and then you kill everything by just running around, dodging everything and shooting it to death(or somethins not even doing that! - enemies do infight a lot, meaning that like half of the kills will be stolen from you), you collect some powerups that are randomly scattered around without any visible sense, and then you grab the next gun, and then the process repeats itself? Until the final boss appears which has absolutely no powers other than having a fair amount of HP and thus is basically exactly identical to every common enemy except that you need to shoot at him for a while longer?

And - guess what - in the supposedly challenging "Hard" mode of yours every second enemy or so gets replaced by the boss monster. You don't really do difficulty like that - with such bosses on each corner, you don't add to difficulty and just bore people to death, because they are of no danger at all.

So yes. Sorry, but I have seen better gameplay in maps from 11 year old people. One can do better than that.

What I haven't seen in maps from 11 year old people, and what has ultimately made me actually beat this instead of shutting it down 5 minutes in, is the atmosphere. While I'm not too hot on the idea of different music tracks per weapon(I like tracks to play continiously for some time, and this won't happen if I'll need to change weapons often - though, with this game's weapons being functionally identical to each other, that was a non-issue), I definitely like the tracks themselves, I like the overly-simplistic and weird but still beautiful art style, how all of this blends together and the mood it creates. And I swear to god I did spend ten minutes floating in the air using Fly cheat and doing nothing but staring at that water. Dem water. Is it even water?

Ultimately, a solid 5 for art, a poor 1 for gameplay. Avg. total 3? Will love to see more levels(with actual gameplay) with this art style.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”