Dark Forces

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lex Safonov

Dark Forces

Post by Lex Safonov »

One day, looking through youtube, I came across vidos where twisted old three-dimensional games and basically shooters (letalok was dumb enough). And in one frame a glimpse one very good toy: Star Wars: Dark Forces. I tightened the game with its atmosphere of Star Wars, a film that I think many visits)
The protagonist - Kyle Katarn, gone over to the rebels from the Imperials, after the sudden death of his father (he was not even allowed to bury him properly).
Feature of the game was that each level had or what the problem - for example to find a weapon and return to the top level, where you will wait for the spaceship.
We basically fighting against imperial infantry, but there are at alien enemies.
Levels - in terms of the detail will be steeper dumovskih, your engine used, but according to Wikipedia, before its creation, the developers spent reverse engineering usually think (reverse engineering) for an understanding of rendering graphics. On the basis of this case has its own engine Jedi Knight Engine.

After watching the passing game and I noticed that there is not a very important thing - the multiplayer, and wanted to run as a cooperative or TDM with Blaser or mine)

Weapon:
1. Fists (standard, though they look cooler dumerskih)
2. Laser Gun, shoots red lasers. It is worth noting that in the original game used red polygonal model (4 vertices total) for laser marking.
3. Laser Rifle infantryman Blaster. Shoots lasers too, but rate and uses 2 rounds per shot.
4. Detonators - regular grenade, but with a difference - you can adjust the strength of the key pinching "fire." On a simple shot - grenades explode instantly, alto shot - grenades bounce off walls.
5. "AutoGun" - shoots blue balls of energy. Has alto mode - can fire three times for blue balls.
6. Fusion Cutter - Weapon with four trunks, each trunk separately shoots green blobs of energy. Alt mode produces clumps of four trunks immediately.
7. Mines with two kinds of attacks. Simple attack - put mine and explodes after a while, the second - put mine explodes and only when or who will run past.
8. Mortar - something like a rocket launcher, only shoots clutch charges with "weight", ie they do not fly straight blunt and to the floor by gravity.
9. Plasma gun - something like BFG, only charges weaker.
10. Plasma Rifle Infantry (a big dude there). Another variety of plasma, with only two modes of fire - the first shoots conventional plasma clots, the second - fires missiles.

Please excuse me if this text is not entirely correct written just my native language is Russian, and English I do not know very well)

Screenshots:

Download link:
http://speedy.sh/FFeM2/DarkForces.pk3

ENJOY!))))
Last edited by Lex Safonov on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valherran

Re: Dark Forces

Post by Valherran »

It says file not found.
Это говорит файл не найден.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Within 5 seconds of MAP01 I picked up the Fusion Cutter (replacing chainsaw)

classicrivalry/10
Lex Safonov

Post by Lex Safonov »

leileilol wrote:Within 5 seconds of MAP01 I picked up the Fusion Cutter (replacing chainsaw)

classicrivalry/10
Relax, it's just a test version of weapons, so it is scattered haphazardly. Laid to know people's opinion about whether to do next)

Guys, I downloaded the file to another location, he's just now is not responding.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Do you plan on making an enhanced version of this more suited for Doom? Currently it's really imbalanced along with the wacky item spawns.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

i dont' recall kyle katarn to have gibbing punching power either
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

If you want to improve this, you could use this as a reference, provided that's okay with Ryan Cordell.
Lex Safonov

Post by Lex Safonov »

Valherran wrote:Do you plan on making an enhanced version of this more suited for Doom? Currently it's really imbalanced along with the wacky item spawns.
Yep
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Let's begin with the weapons:

1. Slot 1 Weapon - I don't really mind the damage on it, no one really uses it anyway, you can leave it as is.

2. Slot 2 Weapon - Could use a small damage increase to make some map starters more viable.

3. Slot 3 Weapon - Could use a small ROF reduction, and a bit more spread. It almost outclasses the Slot 5 weapon.

4. Slot 4 Weapon - Needs a damage buff, enough to kill a Pinky in 1 hit directly. Timer throws could use additional damage to be more useful.

5. Slot 5 Weapon - Needs a massive ROF increase, and a slight damage reduction. Very under par weapon in this game compared to Dark Forces.

6. Slot 6 Weapon - Could use more damage, but at the cost of more ammunition consumed. This gun gets quickly outclassed by other guns currently.

7. Slot 7 Weapon - Needs a damage increase, enough to kill a Revenant in 1 hit.

8. Slot 8 Weapon - Needs a damage increase, enough to kill a Revenant in 1 hit. Blast radius damage should be equal to impact damage.

9. Slot 9 Weapon - This gun has insane damage, but the cost to fire is too little. It needs to consume at least 25 ammo per shot to prevent spamming it.

10. Slot 10 Weapon - Needs a ROF and damage increase. Primary fire ROF should be at least twice as fast, and the damage should be able to 1 shot any zombie or Pinky. The missile needs more impact damage and less splash damage and radius. Missiles should be able to 1 shot a Hell Knight on contact, could also use a small increase in travel speed.

Other suggestions:

1. Make it so that enemies with guns only drop the weapon as ammo. Ammo was too abundant due to energy packs dropping in place of bullet clips.

2. Wide screen compatibility - If you could fix the HUD and weapon sprites to fit in wide screen resolutions, that would be awesome.

3. Hexen and Heretic compatibility would be awesome.

Do you plan on adding the Dark Forces enemies as an optional addon?
Do you plan on adding the inventory items from Dark Forces into the game?
Lex Safonov

Post by Lex Safonov »

Valherran wrote:et's begin with the weapons:

1. Slot 1 Weapon - I don't really mind the damage on it, no one really uses it anyway, you can leave it as is.

2. Slot 2 Weapon - Could use a small damage increase to make some map starters more viable.

3. Slot 3 Weapon - Could use a small ROF reduction, and a bit more spread. It almost outclasses the Slot 5 weapon.

4. Slot 4 Weapon - Needs a damage buff, enough to kill a Pinky in 1 hit directly. Timer throws could use additional damage to be more useful.

5. Slot 5 Weapon - Needs a massive ROF increase, and a slight damage reduction. Very under par weapon in this game compared to Dark Forces.

6. Slot 6 Weapon - Could use more damage, but at the cost of more ammunition consumed. This gun gets quickly outclassed by other guns currently.

7. Slot 7 Weapon - Needs a damage increase, enough to kill a Revenant in 1 hit.

8. Slot 8 Weapon - Needs a damage increase, enough to kill a Revenant in 1 hit. Blast radius damage should be equal to impact damage.

9. Slot 9 Weapon - This gun has insane damage, but the cost to fire is too little. It needs to consume at least 25 ammo per shot to prevent spamming it.

10. Slot 10 Weapon - Needs a ROF and damage increase. Primary fire ROF should be at least twice as fast, and the damage should be able to 1 shot any zombie or Pinky. The missile needs more impact damage and less splash damage and radius. Missiles should be able to 1 shot a Hell Knight on contact, could also use a small increase in travel speed.
All that I will change in these weapons - this is only its damage. Animation and the use of cartridges I will not change because of what was intended to copy weapons, monsters, and items from the original game. (If you do not believe me, then look at the Shadow Warrior TC).
Valherran wrote:1. Make it so that enemies with guns only drop the weapon as ammo. Ammo was too abundant due to energy packs dropping in place of bullet clips.
Maybe
Valherran wrote:3. Hexen and Heretic compatibility would be awesome.
This idea may add compatibility in the next version.
Valherran wrote:Do you plan on adding the Dark Forces enemies as an optional addon?
Do you plan on adding the inventory items from Dark Forces into the game?
Originally intended, it would just be the most common weapon modes, but later I decided to use the same approach as in the Shadow Warrior TC - Copy all to the maximum. So plans to copy as much as possible from the original game (monsters, items)
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

All that I will change in these weapons - this is only its damage. Animation and the use of cartridges I will not change because of what was intended to copy weapons, monsters, and items from the original game. (If you do not believe me, then look at the Shadow Warrior TC).
Shadow Warrior TC also did an enhanced version with added stuff and tweaks to accommodate Doom. You should do the same too.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I broadly agree with Valherran's comments. I do like what I see though. Some of the Dark Forces feel has certainly been captured pretty well.
Lex Safonov

Post by Lex Safonov »

And so, after a very long break, I decided to once again take up the Dark Forсes.
That currently done:
- Moved almost all the enemies from the original game (left 2 - the boss and floating in the water monster). To transfer the program was used "Cyra", allows you to view the original animations items \ monsters.
- Rewritten laser model (RedBolt).
- Changed the balance, but soon it will change again)

In a short time, if you like it - I completed yet remaining enemies and maybe make texture Pack.

Of course a link to the new version:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=837 ... 7704530702
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Oh nice, I will take a look at this.
- Changed the balance (but soon it will change again)
How soon is soon? And which part of the balance is changing?

EDIT: OK, here is what I saw when playing this new version:

1. Dark Trooper is waaay OP. He can 1 shot kill you with his rockets at max HP and armor plus his cannon just obliterates you. This is way too strong for a Baron of Hell replacement, and it never did this much damage in Dark Forces.

2. When you kill a Dark Trooper while it is flying, its jetpack is still making noise at its corpse.

3. Mandolorian, Kell Dragon, Exo Skeleton, and Dark Trooper Corpses are offset a bit too high from the floor.

4. Dark Trooper tends to fly around a little too much, making it easier to kill.

5. Remotes are also OP, they never used to do the damage they do currently.

6. I don't recall Kell Dragons doing a leap attack, was this something you added?

7. Exo Skeletons cannot properly block the E-11 blaster.

That's all for now, the weapons are still imbalanced though. I hope when you do the advanced mode that you take my weapon suggestions into consideration, they may even be balanced for the new enemies too.
Lex Safonov

Post by Lex Safonov »

Valherran wrote:How soon is soon? And which part of the balance is changing?
At the moment, the balance is not received much attention, the whole emphasis was placed on creating monsters and error correction.
Valherran wrote: I don't recall Kell Dragons doing a leap attack, was this something you added?
In the original game, it was also
Valherran wrote:Exo Skeletons cannot properly block the E-11 blaster.
The main problem is that the projectiles at E-11 Blaster based on FastProjeсtile that removes from them the opportunity to bounce.
Valherran wrote:That's all for now, the weapons are still imbalanced though. I hope when you do the advanced mode that you take my weapon suggestions into consideration, they may even be balanced for the new enemies too.
Balancing weapons will be based on new enemies, but will be accepted into account the fact that the maps doom2 monsters are 2-3 times higher than in the Dark Forses.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”