Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated June 23, 2014]

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!

Changes:
  • Bugfix: Perfectly point-blank pistol shots had no effect.
  • Bugfix: If you left the light amps on, they'd automatically turn off after the normal Doom time limit.
  • Lite amps now waste a tiny bit of power every time you turn them on.
  • Reduced chaingunguy spread.
  • Slight changes to zombieman turn thresholds. They might conceivably be more accurate now.
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

Digging the new update, and the SMG.

Did some netplay with friends:
1. Thank you for the medic tool.
2. Grenades sometimes refuse to let their pin be pulled. We hold down the trigger and it stares at us, refusing to let us pull the pin. Bad call state?
3. Is the Thunder Buster sprite supposed to show up in the scope when you zoom in? [EDIT: This only happens in ZDoom, actually. Works just fine in GZDoom.]
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Does the grenade thing only happen with fire or altfire, and have you noticed it in singleplayer?

As for weapon sprite, I've known about the Thunder Buster but I have no idea how to fix it. Does it happen with the Liberator as well? (It can't be seen at all on the ZM66 because the zoomed-in front sight obscures any lingering shrunk weapon sprite)
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

Vaecrius wrote:Does the grenade thing only happen with fire or altfire, and have you noticed it in singleplayer?
It doesn't seem to be happening in single-player, so it must be something with the co-op play. I'll see if we can test it in deathmatch next time we jump on. Also it was not responding to either command.
Vaecrius wrote:Does it happen with the Liberator as well?
It seems to, in ZDoom at least. Regardless of aspect ratio (tested at 800x600, and at 1600x900), the Liberator shows a sprite in the optic and one off to the left side.

Once in GZDoom, everything seems to work just fine.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I don't know when you changed it but making a berserk pickup give four instead of one was a great idea. Now you have a good amount of emergency covers.

Also, would it all be possible to make the zoomed in scope mode have a weight to it or give it a finer control? I'm not sure if the latter is possible.

And lastly, I'd be cool if the jumping was changed around a bit so that it requires a double press for a leap/lunge, while holding still does it's normal function. Lets Doomguy get to those shoulder level edges that just happen to be out of climbing range.
marble

Post by marble »

I don´t know if it is intentional but the rifle grenade launcher kills a mancubus in one hit while a rocket from the RPG leaves him barely alive most of the time.
maybe it should be the other way around?
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I remember reading awhile back in the manual that gyro grenades fired in grenade mode had a bit more power in them due to unused propellant, making it better for groups; however, it seems to be also much more effective on singular targets than a rocket mode grenade. Rocket mode power can easily meet grenade mode power if the rocket has sufficient space to build up to speed. But it would still lack the splash damage of grenade mode.
marble

Post by marble »

Alright, i thought i was getting enough distance, but it seems it´s mostly for rocket sniping or not getting hurt with the flak when firing up close, thanks.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I tend to notice it with arachnotrons myself.

It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, really. I am inclined to make the difference nominal at this point. The alternative is to make the tip of the rocket a shaped charge that then, I dunno, warps into not-shaped or something when it's propelled as a grenade??? yeah it doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

As for scopes, I'm leaving it as is since changing sensitivity without A_ZoomFactor is impossible (you can do some neat tricks with SetCVar in Zand but that is of course out of the question) - and, of course, you don't suddenly become more precise in your movements just because you're looking down a scope instead of sights.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Well no, but it would be cool if the smallest movement possible while scoped was half of what it is now. I guess sidestepping helps, but it's kind of silly to imagine a soldier have to move his entire rifle and position just because he can't move his arms lightly enough.
marble

Post by marble »

you could scale down the explosion sprite of the rocket mode to reflect on the fact that it's more focused.
Regarding the zoom function, I rarely use it since the zoom area is so small, maybe make it bigger?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Gonna leave everything unchanged for now. Scope's really only intended for those times when you can't even recognize the target without it, whether because they're only a few pixels on your screen or only a few pixels of their sprite are exposed from behind cover and you have to hit them just right to get in their hitbox. Any engagement closer than, say, being on the northwest corner of Map15 fighting the outside guys in the southwest, you don't need the scope at all.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Oh, and about the head shots, are they still in the mod? I played with them a bit and they fit in the game well. If there is any mod that would benefit the most from them, it would be this. But restricted to all the gib-able, humanoid monsters.
marble

Post by marble »

Yeah i was wondering that too, i read a while back that they were going to be implemented, but from what i can see it doesn't make a difference to hit someone on the head.
possible bug:
I was playing this with Mars Wars on GrimDark and got to about level 9, when suddenly my chaingun dakka mode broke, i just can't switch firemodes. I started a new game as a support gunner and was able to switch to fast mode normally.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Chaingun uses cell energy now. Uh... ::checks manual, notices mistake in manual:: should be alt reload that loads a cell.

I was trying to do headshots for a while, but there was no simple way to prevent monsters from headshotting themselves - unlikely for a zombie, but the imps in the pits in Map12 would just kill themselves eventually after setting their own heads on fire. (this was made worse by the use of a universal head actor which did not have any of the fire resistance the imps have.) Nobles were worse if I recall, what with their fan attacks.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”