Preacher - a musical

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Arch

Preacher - a musical

Post by Arch »

Preacher - a musical CONVERSION

Well, nobody likes musicals, but I'm trying to make one here. And a gospel one. Well, not really; music is by Those Poor Bastards: they were nice enough not only to answer my request, but to allow me to use their music in this wad.

So, each map will feature a song and will be themed accordingly. Most lyrics are religious, so that will be the main theme of this wad. I'll try to keep action as fast as possible, and that lead to non linear slaughtermapping. I want this to be very playable though, so there are lots of resources. It's almost too easy, but hey, it's map01.

No monsters or weapons were modified so you can play this with your favorite weapon mod or vanilla style (even with no freelook, jump or crouch). All you gotta do is select the mod before this map and paste both on ZDoom. That's because I created a player class with the only purpose of resizing sprites easily, but I guess I'll have to resize them one by one with TEXTURES so it won't override other player classes.

Turn volume on!

** Oh, it contains some explicit lyrics, so, if you're not old enough, turn music off : P

screenshots (yeah you play as the fanatic from Blood):
Spoiler:
5 maps beta download:
http://www.confrariadacosta.com.br/doom/preacherv05.zip

credits:
Sky by Skillsaw;
Textures from Voodoo Guns and NeoDoom and Bittersweet;
Sprites from PowerSlave;
Last edited by Arch on Tue May 12, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
twinkieman93

Re: Preacher - a musical

Post by twinkieman93 »

Played it, a good challenge, and if this is only the first map of a set I see the start of something great*. I wasn't completely on board with the music at first but killing demons to any song will make you like it eventually**, hehe. Good stuff here.

From pirates to priests, eh?

*I'm not claiming to be a prophet, please don't burn me at the stake.
**Any song may be a bit of a stretch.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

If you want a faster way to resize this player without having to define a new class, you can use DeHackEd.

Oh, and there's a misspelling on the title picture.
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

A Protestant (no offense people!) witch hunt, Salem, and Wild West rolled all into one? Oh yeah. :D

I doubt that there be classical edition to the monster sprites to adhere to the occult texts (link for reference) so I shut my trap. Same applies to the gunz. However, if you want to use any final bosses, I will try my best to help out.

EDIT (14/06/2014):
I must say that those are some funny (death metal screams) vocals in the musical chorus. The player class sprite is a bit large (use Scale DECORATE actor property). I have some music that akins to the similar nature of the musicals, but they are not too much of the old piano and sing-song. Let me know if you want to look into it.

The gameplay could be quite intense, especially in the beginning. It's like dancing from temptatation.

EDIT (14/06/2014):
I doubt the music/product actually follows the nature of preachers/priests, but whatevers (apologies in advance for the confusion in earlier post edit).
Arch

Post by Arch »

Hey RV thanks for the music, but I would need authorization to use those, and I think I'll stick to TBP music anyway to keep the same style. Player sprites are giant, but I resized them by half with a player class, weird it didn't work for you. And yes, gameplay is supposed to keep you running all the time :wink: Tx for the feedback!
Ed the Bat wrote:If you want a faster way to resize this player without having to define a new class, you can use DeHackEd.

Oh, and there's a misspelling on the title picture.
Oh right out of the gate, I need a Paintbrush with autocorrect : P
I'll certainly try to resize player sprites with dehacked, then. Resizing one by one sounds painful. Tx for pointing.

@ twinkieman: Thanks for playing and feedback!! Pirates to priests heh, anything to avoid techbases!
Arch

Post by Arch »

Here's the second map for this project:

download:
http://www.confrariadacosta.com.br/doom/Preacher.zip
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I see that you've opted to simply shrink the player sprites in an image program. :P
Arch

Post by Arch »

Yes :)
I tried reducing them with Dehacked first, but when I ran it with a mod that have a player class, it apparently overrides the dehacked too, and the player sprites got big again. I want it to be compatible no matter what order mods are selected, so I think the most versatile solution was to reduce the sprites.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ah, fair point. Well, if you wanted to go back to the original method you had, where your Cultist is its own player class, then any other mods with player classes would work just fine, so long as they were loaded after Preacher.

But, whatever method makes you happy. :D

By the way, any plans for right now on how many maps this will be, in total? I almost feel like waiting to play this new map until there's a bigger chunk available. :P
Arch

Post by Arch »

I don't know Ed, I was planning 3 to 5 maps, since each map comes with a MP3 and I didn't want filesize to go insanely big. But this last map was done in two days, which is a record for me :mrgreen: so maybe it can get a little bigger with things flows faster then expected.
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

I don't want to be annoying, but I'll state my suggestion more directly. If the player sprite is too big, hopefully "Scale value" helps (link for reference).

I was wondering if preacher doom will have its own theme and weapon/monster sprites. If it will retain a classic timeline.
Last edited by RV-007 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Seeing as how he already fixed the problem, there was no need to state or restate a solution.
Arch

Post by Arch »

I'm still slowly working on this, there are two new maps and some new graphics. In fact, this is now a Boom compatible project, hope there's no problem with keeping posting updates here.
Download: http://www.confrariadacosta.com.br/doom/preacherv02.zip
Arch

Post by Arch »

Gentlemen. Three more maps for this project. They are no longer slaughtermaps nor musical maps. They are just randomic non linear hard maps I guess. And they're PRBoom compatible, too.
Here's the download link:
http://www.confrariadacosta.com.br/doom/preacherv05.zip

And here some screenshots:
Spoiler:
God bless
mentha

Post by mentha »

I just wanted to let you know I'm rather enjoying the first level.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”