Doom Symphony [New Beta - heavy WIP]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Doom Symphony [New Beta - heavy WIP]

Post by xenoxols »

For the plasmagun, the doom64 one looks kinda 50's.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hmm, this seems like a cool concept and I'm really digging the colors, but I can't get over how friggin' weird the weapon idle animations are. It looks like they're teleporting all over the screen, and it's distracting to boot. Not sure if smoothing the animation would really help either, since that wouldn't mitigate the distraction factor.

Another random thought: it may be worth putting an outline around the musical notes, since they're really hard to see in most areas 'cause things get dark. White w/black outlines or black w/white outlines, perhaps?
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

Xaser wrote:Hmm, this seems like a cool concept and I'm really digging the colors, but I can't get over how friggin' weird the weapon idle animations are. It looks like they're teleporting all over the screen, and it's distracting to boot. Not sure if smoothing the animation would really help either, since that wouldn't mitigate the distraction factor.
Eheh... It was the first thing I thought when I start with this project... Maybe with the correct music and the correct sounds it will be mitigate, but I don0t know..
Xaser wrote: Another random thought: it may be worth putting an outline around the musical notes, since they're really hard to see in most areas 'cause things get dark. White w/black outlines or black w/white outlines, perhaps?
Good Idea! "Bright" comand doesn't seems to work enough in order to make them visible!
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

SoloSpaghetti wrote:
Xaser wrote:Hmm, this seems like a cool concept and I'm really digging the colors, but I can't get over how friggin' weird the weapon idle animations are. It looks like they're teleporting all over the screen, and it's distracting to boot. Not sure if smoothing the animation would really help either, since that wouldn't mitigate the distraction factor.
Eheh... It was the first thing I thought when I start with this project... Maybe with the correct music and the correct sounds it will be mitigate, but I don0t know..
If you smooth it out, it may help a bit... but it is a rather lively animation. While I personally am fine with it, if you plan on removing it, you could always try making it subtler. Just a little dance... little pistol dance, near the middle of the screen...It's too wonderful, don't remove it. :D

EDIT: My brain did things! You could always make the weapons more musical by chaining several identical Fire states together whose only differences are the sound they produce. Then using A_ReFire (or an internal counter using CustomInventory, to preserve the progress between shots regardless of holding down the trigger) you step through them and it plays a little looping tune for that weapon.

And I might be willing to attempt making "sounds" for these weapons, but it's a realm of music I've never touched.
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

SidDoyle wrote:And I might be willing to attempt making "sounds" for these weapons, but it's a realm of music I've never touched.
Do it. Please. Sounds are the only (I hope) things I can't make by myself, so you'll make me a really big favour. :)

Ah, and do not worry about dancing-idle animation. They'll stay where they are, I only need to work on them a little bit more.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Well... I'll play around and see what I can do. I'm already not sure what kind of "melody" a pistol ought to have, anyway. But I was thinking some more about the future issues this mod might see. Better to address things earlier than later.

See, I started thinking about what the finished product might sound like in a big gunfight. It would sound like a bunch of confusing discordant music going off at staggered, arhythmic intervals. How would we keep that from happening?

My first thought is an ACS script that runs in the background tracking the rhythm of everything somehow. Using CVars, perhaps, we could write AI that only ever attacks in rhythm (and could we perhaps delay weapons' idle animations until they catch up with the universal rhythm?).

My second thought is that you just live with the jumble. My third is that you play everything on one channel, making all the sounds cancel each other out.

That aside, I'll play around with some ideas. I may look up how long a ZDoom tic lasts and try to produce things in ZDoom's "tempo," so to speak.

EDIT: Well, I've made my first demo with sounds tied to the ZDoom tics. I've made the SillyFist sound like an upright bass that continually plays as you hold down fire. The problem I'm noticing here is that the weapons need a uniform tempo. The idle animation is out of rhythm with the punching (and, to be honest, I'd rather make the upright bass an idle music). We need to decide on a number of ZDoom tics per measure and work only in multiples of that value. Otherwise, each sound will be played in its own tempo and destroy the musical element of the mod.

Tl;dr - All actor states associated with music need to have a length that is a multiple of a basic unit of "rhythm" -- perhaps 17 tics or so. This way I can write music for them with one tempo and the music can fit seamlessly together.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”