Doom Symphony [New Beta - heavy WIP]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SoloSpaghetti

Re: Doom Symphony [heavy WIP]

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

Toberone wrote:Even without any sounds, the ssg has great rhythm to it. Makes me very happy in a very murderous way.
Nice, I'm happy to hear it! :)

Here's a newer Beta.
-Machinegun has been added.
-Now every weapon fire deadly notes.

Have Fun!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

heh, glad to see my pistol always works on your mod. that's delightful! BTW, talking about your mod, i just wonder if this mod's whole sprites and textures were changed into a real-classic cartoon chrarcters and designs from 1920, and with bloods of course, a cartoonized bloods.

and here come's the glitches or awkward points that i saw;
-first is fist, when it's punched, the left fist has a colourful(but not so beautiful) pixels from back of the hand.
-second is basic shotgun, when i started to fire, it suddenly disappear and appears faster and here goes the fire state. just try to use that gun and fire rapidly and watch closely if you don't know what i mean.
-third is chainsaw, nothing is bad about damages, but it's kinda slow to attack than vanilla one. also it attacks multiful times in a single click, otherwise it's much slower than a vanilla chainsaw.

also, haven't you thought about make weapon idle sprites smooth? 3~4 frames are not enough to discribe the classic black 'n white cartoons, hell. they used to be made a losta frames for one character.

unless those, it's interesting mod.
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

Captain J wrote:heh, glad to see my pistol always works on your mod. that's delightful! BTW, talking about your mod, i just wonder if this mod's whole sprites and textures were changed into a real-classic cartoon chrarcters and designs from 1920, and with bloods of course, a cartoonized bloods.
My goal is to cartoonize original doom enemies and some textures, like making Goofy-Barons or changing all pentacles with Mickey Mouse's head shape, and so on..
Captain J wrote: and here come's the glitches or awkward points that i saw;
-first is fist, when it's punched, the left fist has a colourful(but not so beautiful) pixels from back of the hand.
Damn Photoshop trasparency... Noticed. I'll fix them ASAP.
Captain J wrote: -second is basic shotgun, when i started to fire, it suddenly disappear and appears faster and here goes the fire state. just try to use that gun and fire rapidly and watch closely if you don't know what i mean.
I just saw it... I think it's due to ready animation that doesn't always match with fire animation.. Don't know how to really fix this..
Captain J wrote: -third is chainsaw, nothing is bad about damages, but it's kinda slow to attack than vanilla one. also it attacks multiful times in a single click, otherwise it's much slower than a vanilla chainsaw.
That's strange, the code, exept for the ready frames, it's a copy-paste from the wiki!
Captain J wrote: also, haven't you thought about make weapon idle sprites smooth? 3~4 frames are not enough to discribe the classic black 'n white cartoons, hell. they used to be made a losta frames for one character.
Of course... but I'm lazy, so as a start I've decide to go with 3-4 frames... more smoothieness will come later. :P
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

SoloSpaghetti wrote:That's strange, the code, exept for the ready frames, it's a copy-paste from the wiki!

Code: Select all

this mod's code;
  Fire:
    SSAW AEBF 6 A_Saw
    SSAW B 0 A_ReFire
    Goto Ready

vanilla chainsaw's code;
	Fire:
		SAWG AB 4 A_Saw
		SAWG B 0 A_ReFire
		Goto Ready
your mod's chainsaw has a extra sprites and actor, slowest speed, i can tottaly see the difference. so, any ideas?
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

Ah! I'm stupid... I completeley forgot that I added two frames for "bobbing" during the attack... Silly me... I'll fix it now.
EDIT
About the shotgun problem... I discovered that I'm dislessic... Fixed.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Does anyone else think it's kind of mean to take a disorder where someone can't properly process text and call it dyslexia? Look at that word! Even people who don't have it are bound to misspell it.

Aside from the overly long method of telling you that you misspelled dyslexic, I really like what you've done so far. It's kind of weird that things that aren't usually red(mostly textures, you can see it quite clearly in the first map of Doom 2) get a red tinge, but I like it actually. It adds a bit more... uhm... what's the word... I dunno, but it makes things more interesting than just grayscale for everything that isn't cacos, blood, or fire.
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

twinkieman93 wrote:dyslexia
It's my pizza-english that made me make the mistake... In Italia it's "Dislessia".. :P
twinkieman93 wrote:I really like what you've done so far. It's kind of weird that things that aren't usually red(mostly textures, you can see it quite clearly in the first map of Doom) get a red tinge, but I like it actually. It adds a bit more... uhm... what's the word... I dunno, but it makes things more interesting than just grayscale for everything that isn't cacos, blood, or fire.
Initially I was using a greyscale palette with only red, but then I added another gamma of red in the place of green in order to make things less monotonous and to make acid different from water... I'm happy the results is enjoyable! :)
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

SoloSpaghetti, as far as the black/white/red palette go this mod is pretty much finished, yes? Becasue I currently use it along with the Smooth Doom mod.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

LostSkull wrote:SoloSpaghetti, as far as the black/white/red palette go this mod is pretty much finished, yes? Becasue I currently use it along with the Smooth Doom mod.
Nah. Didn't you look at the screenshots? He's redoing the weapons to make them more cartoon-y, and after that, he plans to do the monsters as well. In addition, a new soundtrack is planned. As for what exactly I mean by cartoon-y, I mean the old school Silly Symphonies from when moving crap on a screen was still pretty new, so everything was all happy and moving around(usually inanimate objects included), and because they still hadn't quite perfected the audio portion of things yet, most of the audio was just music, which everything moved to.
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

BETA 3 is out now!
Featuring a new dancing rocket launcher! (But I don't know who made that sprite, so if someone know who made it or if I can't use it just tell me.)
Besides, I'd like to know what do you think about the bullets-notes behaviour... Any suggestion for improvements?
Captain J

Re: Doom Symphony [New Beta - heavy WIP]

Post by Captain J »

oh, more awkward part is, still fist remains the lil' bit of colourful pixels, SILLC0 is the number. make it whole white 'n black with myself would be easy, but suddenly it's palette just got ruined after opening the wad with a slade.

and i cannot kill the pinky in a one shot with super shotgun sometimes, even whole pallets just got hit. due to randomized damages.

lastly, do you thought anything about add decals for whole pallets? without them, it's out of quality to me, though. other than that it's creative.
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

Ehmm... Sorry for my ignorance... Decals? What are they?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

That pistol idle animation... XD Possibly the best thing ever.

You seriously have to finish this, and keep it classy. :) (Does anyone know of a way they could soften the background music when a sound effect is played? I'm thinking way ahead into this project's future and can just hear the jazzy music being interrupted by brass and percussion "sound effects.")
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

My exams are pressing on, so in these days I jump to one thing to another in my little free time... But don't worry, I've got great plan s for this mod! :)
By the way... I don't know wich sprites use as base for PlasmaGun and BFG... so feel free to suggest something. ;)

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”