The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
timmyr0x0r

Re: The New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by timmyr0x0r »

Nash wrote:Yeah, I found the wounded guy by the roadside and gave him a medkit. Also talked to the NPC group just outside that bandit hideout - even with their aid, they pretty much get splattered by the bandits in like 10 seconds.

I admit that I am probably approaching it with a "Doom mindset" in which case, I will reiterate what I previously said... I just don't understand what the appeal is for these "realism" games... :D I play games to unwind and have fun, not get frustrated and killed over and over again by realistic enemy AI.
Well, the enemies being smart means that you have to be smart too. The face I made when these soldiers turned off their torchligh in the middle of the night to avoid being seen too easily... if you don't do the same it generally means a quick, stupid death as you attract bullets as flies are attracted to sh*t :D.

The most fun of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was not for me the gameplay however, but the ambiance of actually surviving in a dangerous and desolate place. This is a very immersive game. I would advise you to try to finish the vanilla game, and then try the Complete mod: it's not a modpack fest as you seem to believe, it actually reequilibrates the game, adding some secondary features that were dropped before release and making the game more enjoyable (no more ridiculous pistol fire sounds anymore!), without betraying the feel of the vanilla game.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

I like big guns and I cannot lie ./~

Source
idGamer

Post by idGamer »

Finished playing through Unloved for the first time today.

...Am I the only one who had no idea what was going on with the "story"? :?:
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Project Dark Fox wrote:I like big guns and I cannot lie ./~
:lol:
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:the shotguns in that game suck and I would probably not advise ever using them.
Were they changed around for Call of Pripyat? I used a shotgun/sniper rifle combo the entire way through Call of Pripyat, rifle for bandits, shotgun for mutants and it worked pretty darn well.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Ghastly_dragon wrote:
ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:the shotguns in that game suck and I would probably not advise ever using them.
Were they changed around for Call of Pripyat? I used a shotgun/sniper rifle combo the entire way through Call of Pripyat, rifle for bandits, shotgun for mutants and it worked pretty darn well.
I've only played Shadow of Chernobyl, so I can't say. But in Shadow I found pistols were much more reliable in the early game, and in the late game the shotguns were obsolete anyway. It could be a matter of play style, I suppose, but I at least equate when I put the shotgun away with when I started doing better.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

This lil' fella is finally gonna enter the world of MUGEN :P
Preiview.png
Preiview.png (2.23 KiB) Viewed 480 times
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:
Ghastly_dragon wrote:
I've only played Shadow of Chernobyl, so I can't say. But in Shadow I found pistols were much more reliable in the early game, and in the late game the shotguns were obsolete anyway. It could be a matter of play style, I suppose, but I at least equate when I put the shotgun away with when I started doing better.
In my experience, shotguns are godlike against mutants but weak against human enemies, whereas pistols are useless for mutants but real nice against humans. Of course, I used a fairly stealthy playstyle when it came to humans (All silenced weapons) so results may vary.

Also, unrelated, ZAMBES:
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I thought the shotguns in STALKER had different ammo types depending on what sort of threat you were facing? I seem to remember sabots were good against armored human opponents.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Only rounds for the shotguns I could ever find were standard shells.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

maybe it was one of the additions of that Stalker complete mod pack?
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Nah, differing shotgun shells were definitely in the main game; slugs, while not common, are not too rare in the early game.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Nash

Post by Nash »

How much stealth is possible in STALKER? Could you do silent 1-hit-kills like in a lot of stealth-oriented games?

EDIT: Holy shit, the game just downloaded an update on Steam
timmyr0x0r

Post by timmyr0x0r »

Nash wrote:How much stealth is possible in STALKER? Could you do silent 1-hit-kills like in a lot of stealth-oriented games?
...Not really, there is not "instant backstab kills" action. But a well aimed bullet to the head generally kill any not-too much-armored human enemies. Do it with a silenced pistol and you can exterminate a camp alright. The mutants are another story...
Last edited by timmyr0x0r on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off-Topic”