Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Abba Zabba

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated May 25, 2014]

Post by Abba Zabba »

Somagu wrote: While I love 1911s and revolvers, I feel like pistol ammo is already actually pretty uncommon as it is, so I feel like an alternate pistol type in the same way as bolts or battle rifle ammo would be ridiculously uncommon. I'd be OK with this if it was something like a really kicky revolver that did about as much damage as a shotgun shell.

The other problem we run into is resources. Also, weapon bloat.

I'd be all for more pistol ammo, but I kind of get why he didn't incorporate pistol ammo into the clip/bullet box pickups and instead made the mooks carry it around; it has little stopping power against the bigger monsters, not just in base damage, but it's armor/hide penetrative capabilities aren't much to be desired. However, the pistol is still exceptional for run n' gunning, emergencies, and supplementing your primary and yada yada yada, so the odd bullet box spawn being replaced with a few pistol mags and maybe a pistol every now and then wouldn't hurt.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Zombies drop enough ammo, no? You're still always kinda low but I tend to get by.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

They do (especially the chaingunners, each one is like a mini Christmas), but many maps drop them off in the later levels, leaving most munitions up to the level designer.
ArchXeno

Post by ArchXeno »

Does the player heal faster while standing still?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Yes.
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

Took me a lot longer than it should.
Spoiler: map12
Spoiler: map13
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

I notice that every few levels or so, I lose all my SMG mags. Seems like they're getting converted back into pistol mags, but it happens even if I'm already full. Is this intentional? Because it's really annoying and costing me more 9mm ammo than actually using the guns would.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I've cleaned up some of the code for that for next release, but I have no idea if it addresses that.

The way it works now (at least after the change) is:

1. Consolidate all pistol ammo into mags, leaving SMG and SMG mags alone.

2. Consolidate all remaining SMG ammo and any and all loose pistol rounds, as follows:

a) Put all SMG mags and loose rounds into a big pool.
b) Fill up the SMG first. (31 rounds)
c) Divide what's left into mags and dump the remainder into the loose pistol round pool.

One consequence of this is that if you exit the map with 0 loose, 2 mags and a completely empty gun, that means you've got exactly 60 rounds for the SMG. Take out 31 for the gun and you're left with 29 spare rounds - not enough for a mag. That means you enter the next map with a full gun, no mags, and maxed out loose rounds which will shortly be converted into one pistol mag and 14 loose rounds if you've got space.

(This is also how the Liberator works, but it's less noticeable because you start off with loose rounds in your inventory and you can carry up to like 50 of them, and you don't share ammo with another weapon that gets priority in the process)

I could automate this process to err in favour of cannibalizing pistol ammo to avoid this awkwardness, but it will have to wait until there is also a way to convert SMG mags to pistol ammo.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Been playing this with Happy Time Circus 2 with KEYINFO and the pistol sprites and sound removed, along with the green goodie balloons being tweaked a bit. It's actually been pretty fun, if a bit odd. The small, HD lost soul-sized jumping skulls and evil dead hands are pretty refreshing; instead of the usual difficulty being the monster trying it's damnedest to kill you, the difficulty now is trying to hit the little buggers. The clown ghosts feel right at home with their noclip devil magic, and the variety of balloons found practically everywhere make great target practice. Had to cheat when Daisy appeared, though. Since HTC2 leaves the small arm pickups (shotgun, super shotgun and chaingun) unmodified, a large portion of it is playable with little conversion work. However, the stronger weapons are entirely original, so it's going to be interesting when I get further in with only small weps.

Thinking more of the odd 9MM bullet box replacing the regular bullet box; sometimes has a SMG?
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Idea. Semi-auto shotgun as a separate weapon. Slug gun! >:D
Last edited by Slax on Sat May 31, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Minor gripe: pickup message for the 4.26mm magazine just says "magazine" instead of 4.26mm. I thought it was odd that the 9mm and 7.76mm had the caliber in the message but the 4.26mm did not.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Heh, that's from way, way back when the ZM66 replaced the pistol and the only detachable mags were for them, and the only concern was to make it say "magazine" rather than "clip".

Changed for next release.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated June 1, 2014]

Post by Matt »

Lava Grunt wrote:I finally remembered that one crucial thing in HD that really bugged me; Vaecrius, do you think you can allow weapon switching to work while you're holding the sprint button, pretty pretty please? Almost like putting the weapon selected on cue for when you release, as you already have whatever you were holding put away, if anything. There are a few times I got killed since I had to fumble around with a clingy weapon instead of having the one I want selected out when I'm done fleeing from some terrifying creature.
I'm about to revisit this, but it seems it will require a complete overhaul of the sprinting system, possibly requiring brand new states for every weapon.

I'm going to upload this NEW UPDATE! just before I start touching anything here, so that if I break anything I can just download this version and start over (assuming I still want to implement this at that point).

Changes:
  • Bugfix: Chaingunguys were always shooting at 2100 RPM, which the player's own weapon was never able to achieve. They now alternate between fire modes randomly.
  • Bugfix?????: Reports that the arachnotrons were falling back on player Thunder Buster obituaries. I was not able to replicate this but I did make a minor change based on pure speculation as to what might have been causing it.
  • Bugfix???: Reports that every so often all of the player's SMG mags would disappear. I've cleaned up some of the logic in the SMG consolidation code, but I did not see anything in the old code that would have caused this.
  • Chaingun now uses cell energy to spin! One cell pack provides for 32 continuous minutes of spinning. The gun is also noticeably heftier now.
  • Chaingun's ROF now defaults to 700 RPM, the same as all other full-auto weapons. This speeds up to 2100 RPM by changing fire modes.
  • Swapped chaingun ammo management keys. Now loading a cell is bound to the alternate reload key, while zoom unloads an unused mag.
  • You can now short-stroke the shotgun. To avoid doing this, HOLD the altfire when racking.
  • Shotgun can now fire in semiauto! Do not mash your fire button too quickly or it WILL jam!
  • Light amps can now be turned on and off. Picking one up gives you 20 minutes' worth of light amplification; if it runs out, next use you will charge it with your cell ammo for up to 40 minutes' worth.
  • Slight tweaks to chaingun recoil.
  • For clarity but including without limitation: shotgun guys can now fire in semiauto. :)
  • Minor balancing tweak to the BFG. The effect is randomized but should average out.
  • Increased pistol spare ammo capacity to 50, matching the Liberator rounds.
  • If you have the SMG out, you will now consolidate SMG mags while idle, not pistol mags.
  • You can now convert SMG mags into pistol mags! Both use the zoom key, the same way you cannibalize side saddle ammo between the two shotguns.
  • SMGs and SMG ammo now have a chance to spawn in place of clipboxes.
  • Pickup messages no longer treat 4.26mm UAC Standard as an unmarked default not even worth specifying.
  • Gave some extra loose rounds to the Enforcer.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

This new update?
Spoiler:
Only one thing: the semi-auto option pretty much makes the manual pump obsolete. A rare variant of it I think would balance it out, along with a semi shotgunner. But it would be a one time upgrade so I dunno. Perhaps make the current shotgun have a tighter spread, but with the same velocity as now? The DB would still have a tighter spread AND higher velocity, but this would make the semi auto more of a close combat shotgun and leave the manual pump as slower, more accurate shotgun. You can use short stroking for a cheap semi auto. The DB as of now is practically a hunting rifle more than a shotgun, so I could see this working.

The light amps are still doing that flickering thing when they get towards the end of their normal expiration, even though you can now flick it on and off.

All in all, great job.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

I dunno, I think manual pump is still quite useful. With the fire rate I get out of it semi-auto mode is sure to jam near right away and any hiccup can mean death in a hot situation.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”