Threshold Of Pain: Special Edition

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
scalliano

Threshold Of Pain: Special Edition

Post by scalliano »

Don't get too excited (as if! :P), this isn't Threshold II.

What it is, however, is a cosmetic upgrade of the first installment. In light of a number of advancements in the (G)ZDoom engine which ToPII makes use of, for the purposes of consistency it seemed only right to backport them into the original, all with the sole intention of making the mod a bit more Playstation-y. So that'll be the subtractive blending, then.

What is also included is a host of bugfixes that never made the first cut, so it's not a complete waste of your time.

The reason I'm doing this is because Threshold II's development is into the business end with only a few maps left to finish, Also, this has been something I've wanted to do for a while, so it seems fitting that I post this as a warm-up to the main event due in (hopefully) a few months' time.

A few screenies:

And, of course, the download link:
https://www.mediafire.com/?ex8fpgt95x1kvxf

Have fun retreading old ground!
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Threshold Of Pain: Special Edition

Post by Cardboard Marty »

YES! I'm definitely going to give this a run-through later tonight!
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Could I request that we PLEASE get out from under the grossly-deprecated KEYCONF, so this will be more friendly to external mods/patches? I'd be happy to do the work for you (in fact, I did it before with the original version, on my own).

EDIT: I went ahead and did it.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Thanks, Ed. Updated the main download link with this file and added your contribution to the credits. This will also be used in ToPII.

Also updated the MAPINFO to the new format.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Fantastic! I'm very happy to hear that. :D
If there's any other tweaking or cleanup work that you need, I'm always happy to pitch in. :)

Good luck on the sequel; I'm looking forward to it!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice, is this the one posted way back in an older thread? It feels familiar to me. I really enjoyed playing what I did before, so I'm looking forward to this.
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

Ed the Bat wrote:Could I request that we PLEASE get out from under the grossly-deprecated KEYCONF, so this will be more friendly to external mods/patches? I'd be happy to do the work for you (in fact, I did it before with the original version, on my own).

EDIT: I went ahead and did it.
What's deprecated about KEYCONF and what replaces it that's more robust?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Using KEYCONF to declare weapon slots or player classes is deprecated, as it's actually a shortcut for a console command. Because of that, any other methods will be overridden, hands-down, regardless of load order. This means the player roster, or the weapons on a given slot number, can never be changed by adding other mods/patches. The proper method to declare player classes is in the MAPINFO lump's Gameinfo block, and weapon slots can be defined either there, or in the weapon's definition in DECORATE, or in a playerclass' definition (perhaps a less ideal solution for this specific project, since no custom player class exists).
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I may have accidentally played through this while looking at the changes you made. Good changes, good wad.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

-Ghost- wrote:Nice, is this the one posted way back in an older thread? It feels familiar to me. I really enjoyed playing what I did before, so I'm looking forward to this.
It is, yes. This was mainly to make it consistent with the changes made in the forthcoming sequel, although it has been updated a little overall.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Good job, really good work and improvements :)
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

can this be played with Brutal Doom?
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

So this is my first time actually playing this and I'm having a lot of fun with it

But after the MAP06 blue key card thing happened I immediately had to quick save to tell you how cool that was ...so uh yea, that was really cool! Anyway this has a great doom psx/64 replicated feel to it, fantastically balanced difficulty and well made custom enemies. Glad I could actually play the renovated version first though I'm sure the old version was probably just as good, will await the sequel.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I was telling a friend about this project, because he loves PSX-type atmospheres. However, I then noticed that this project doesn't support co-op play, save for a small handful of maps featuring a Player 2 start point! I decided that something should be done about that, so the fun can be shared with friends.

By the way. this is just the maps; it will require the main package to run.

Speaking of maps, I saw that some of them use scripts that check for monsters by both species and TID. This means that custom monster replacement packs will break how many of these maps work. It can be fixed in most cases, but I've left it alone, so far. Just mentioning it for anyone who would be potentially impacted.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Hold your horses there, Ed - the reason ToP doesn't support co-op is because it runs the risk of breaking a number of scripts, at best leaving the player lagging behind waiting things out, and at worst, making the maps unbeatable. A good example is the aforementioned MAP06 blue key trick.

Also, this mod was never really designed with compatibility with gameplay mods in mind. Making it so would involve total redesigns in places, and that's far too much work. Most gameplay mods are designed to run with vanilla/Boom maps, but this is a specific ZDoom episode. If authors want to create custom patches to make ToP function correctly with their mods, that's fine, but it's not for me to do.
Machine-Reaper wrote:can this be played with Brutal Doom?

Return to “Levels”