{TUT} Basic & Advanced Weapon Spriting

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
DoomNukem

{TUT} Basic & Advanced Weapon Spriting

Post by DoomNukem »

UPDATE: now in 3D!

hello ladies and gentleman, I noticed that r667 resources are being overused or there seems to be quite a few mods popping up using the same sprites over and over again so to encourage some creativity and original content I thought I'd post a simple tutorial on how I do sprites and stuff. It will require a bit of practice and exploration and I will add that I use Photoshop, its all I use for this, however most of these techniques can be reproduced easily in GIMP. Anyway, without blabbing on any further here it goes:
Spoiler: Beginner Tutorial
Spoiler: Advanced Tutorial
[spoiler="Perspective, Focal Length, Field of View]So one of the things I didn't cover in the advanced tutorial was the perspective of the weapons when you're rendering them.
This is an easy step and just requires you to visit the camera attribute editor that we used to change the environment colour, this can be found on the view tab in your perspective viewport.

and from that point all you need to do is change the focal length setting, if you're using any depth of field in your renders I advise you not to, this can fuck with it and in general it will drastically increase render times
so you're better off doing some post editing in photoshop or gimp, it's alot easier anyway. Using this setting you can change this to whatever value you want for taste, just keep in mind that lower value's will make your gun stretchy and higher value's will make your model look chunkier. the default is set at 35, I would advise not going any lower than 25 and I personally prefer anywhere from 55-60 for angled sprites, no more than 75 for cent for centered sprites.

Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by DoomNukem on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Tutorial] Basic Spriting / Texturing.

Post by Cardboard Marty »

This is a pretty great and simple tutorial. Awesome job!
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Thanks for the tutorial DoomNukem, do you have anything on how to scale guns to the hand? Sometimes when I make guns they look too big for the player hands.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Very nice tutorial. Thanks a bunch!
Also, animating can be a bitch and a half, but I prefer to do it through TEXTURES so that I can more easily get a rough animation, then export that to frames (thanks SLADE) and edit it manually there.
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

all good, I hope it can help :D and yes, pillow's done a huge amount of TEXTURES animation for trailblazer but I never considered then taking those frames and editing them manually, good tip. Also if anyone uses this tutorial please post your results/examples, id love to seem them and it will help me come up with idea's for more tutorials.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This is a little different from the way I do things, I'll have to give it a try sometime. Thanks for the tutorial!
Exporting TEXTURES frames and editing those is actually a really great ideas.
Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

An informative tut, hope to see more from ya.
GoodYume6

Post by GoodYume6 »

im bad at drawing own sprites, but this tutorial helps hell a lot :D
DoomNukem

Re: {TUT} Basic & Advanced Weapon Spriting

Post by DoomNukem »

BUMP: Updated the tutorial with an advanced version detailing how to turn 3D model render's into sprites. Have fun and Happy Spriting!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

book marked for useful and overwhelming awesomeness, and i say; you're awesome.
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

Mother of god! Amazing!
Do you think something similar could be created with AutoCAD or Cinema 4d too?
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

nice tutorial, i just wish i didn't suck at modeling :p
Minigunner

Post by Minigunner »

I'm not one to make tutorials, but I have done direct renders with only some color changes:
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

That's hot but you should include that it's going to be 20% taller in-game. I don't see people mention the aspect ratio much and that results in mistakes. I've made so many mistakes.
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

Minigunner wrote:I'm not one to make tutorials, but I have done direct renders with only some color changes:
ooh very nice, what was that rendered in, and did it have a texture/material to begin with or are all those details modelled on?
SoloSpaghetti wrote:Mother of god! Amazing!
Do you think something similar could be created with AutoCAD or Cinema 4d too?
Yeah they should be fine, I haven't had much experience with either of the two but anything that can spit out renders with a base clay material and soft lighting should be a-okay!
If they don't you could always save out .obj's or something else and import them into a standalone copy of mental-ray, marmoset toolbag or something else.
torridGristle wrote:That's hot but you should include that it's going to be 20% taller in-game. I don't see people mention the aspect ratio much and that results in mistakes. I've made so many mistakes.
Wow I never noticed that before haha, I think you're right they are slightly taller in-game, do you know what causes this? is it to do with using 16:9?, I mean if the sprites are too tall that can easily be sort of corrected by lowering it using offsets, might clip a bit off but yeah this is the first time I've been aware of this and now It cant be unseen, everything looks squashed now goddamnit.

Return to “Tutorials”