[Project] Quake II Resources

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
22alpha22
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[Project] Quake II Resources

Post by 22alpha22 »

CURRENT VERSION: 0.5.3

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1xttpzak86bk3 ... 3.zip?dl=0

SCREENSHOTS LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9lf4l7qkd3aexln/gzF158PRva

ABOUT THE RESOURCE

The goal of this project is to provide mappers everything they need to create authentically styled Quake II maps for GZDoom. It will eventually include every Quake II resource such as weapons, monsters, pickups, textures, sounds, etc. There is already some Quake II material spread around the web that could be used for GZDoom, but it is of varying quality and not everything in Quake II has been ripped before anyway. I want everything in a single file ready to go, so there will be minimal work a mapper will have to do outside of making maps. All assets such as monsters, weapons, pickups, etc will be models so this will NOT be software compatible. I don't plan on continuing the sprite version because it takes too much time and the completed file size would probably be several hundred megabytes. I have a somewhat limited schedule but I will try to have a new version released at least every two weeks.

VERSION 0.5.3 CHANGES

-Added weapon icon's to Normal HUD
-Added armor info to Normal and Fullscreen HUDs
-Added all normal armor
-Added all power armor
-Added power armor event handlers

PLANNED FEATURES FOR THE NEXT VERSION

-All powerups

VERSION HISTORY
Spoiler:
KNOWN ISSUES

-Weapons and items currently do not have editor numbers or SpawnID's (I'm going to wait until I have a testing map before giving anything editor numbers or SpawnID's)
-Weapons are not balanced around Doom monsters (the weapons are going to be balanced around Quake II monsters, which in general seem to have less health than Doom monsters)

PERMISSIONS

You guys can use these resources for making maps, weapon packs, whatever you want. All I ask is to be credited for the sprite rips and any coding you don't change.

MY OTHER PROJECTS

Hell Hath No Fury [Active] - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65349
Realm [Cancelled] - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=47182
Realm Weapon Mod [Released] - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=65445
Delta Force: Doom Warrior [On Hold] - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=55861
Last edited by 22alpha22 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 am, edited 46 times in total.
Enjay

Re: [Project] Quake II Resources

Post by Enjay »

22alpha22 wrote:The first version of this will use sprites instead of models for compatibility with software mode. However when I finish everything, depending if people really want it, I may make a second model version using the groundwork from the sprite version.
Well, colour me not even slightly interested in the sprite-based version. Many of the Quake 2 resources have been made into sprite rips before and, almost without exception, they look pretty shitty. The blocky, low-poly models don't make a good starting point for ripping and so much of what little detail they have gets lost when converting them that they look horribly indistinct and just like what they are - cheap screen grabs that force the visuals into an unsuitable format.

However, colour me very interested in the model based version. Coincidentally, I had been musing about doing something similar myself just the other day. Then reality kicked in when I remembered how little time I have for Doom stuff due to real-life commitments ATM. A good editing resource with the Quake 2 models and textures in it would, I believe, be a great asset and something that would be fun to work with. The aesthetic of Quake 2 has always been very popular in the Doom community and being able to edit in that world, with the ability to produce a good-quality product but with the ease and familiarity of Doom editing would be most welcome.

If you are going for completeness, remember there are two official mission packs, each with some new content. There is also at least one pretty decent hi-res texture pack (which could form the basis of a HRP for this project) and a few of the models have been improved too. (The quality of the model improvements vary considerably. Some are actual improved model meshes and re-made skins. Others are just the old skins resized and put through a filter with no improvement to the model itself.)

It is, perhaps, also worth mentioning that, in my experience, going from a sprite-based actor to a model-based one often isn't that simple. Sure, if the actor is just a static decoration, then it's easy. If, however, it's something like an enemy, then a lot of it needs to be re-decorated from the ground up. The basic stats/flags/etc of the enemy are usually fine but the frame structure usually has to change dramatically (i.e. sometimes be thrown out and done from scratch) due to the model usually having far more frames and possibilities than a sprite. I'm not saying that it's impossible (far from it); just that using a sprite-based project to build a model-based one might not be the best way forward. But then, I've already nailed my colours to the mast and come out strongly in favour of a model-based version over a sprite-based one anyway. ;)
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

Enjay wrote:Many of the Quake 2 resources have been made into sprite rips before and, almost without exception, they look pretty shitty.
That is one of the reasons I'm doing sprites, most of what has been done before doesn't look that great and I think I can do much better. My sprite rips are high resolution and every single frame from the models is used which makes for rather smooth animation. The only real issue so far is with the weapon alignment and behavior which isn't 100% complete yet.

Some better screenshots of a few of the weapons.
Spoiler:
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

They do look like decent HQ rips, though you are right about the alignment, it's rather off.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yes, the weapons do look very nice. Do you plan on similarly nice hi-res rips of the in-level models too (enemies, scenery items etc)?

Don't get me wrong, they are good rips and I do like the end result. However, it strikes me that ripping things to sprites like you are doing is a lot of work, will result in very large files and, ultimately, can be replaced with using the models natively with a much smaller file size. If it is going to be done this way for the in-level stuff too, then they will suffer from the paper-thin flatness of sprites etc.

Even with the good quality of your rips, I don't see me being particularly interested in a multi-multi-megabyte download when a much smaller model-based download would be a better end product (IMO) and actually be something newer and more interesting too.

But, hey, "more power to your elbow" as they say. If it's what you want to do and you're enjoying it, that's what counts and it looks like you'll get a decent set of rips out of it.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

22alpha22 wrote: -The BFG 10K fires the BFG 9000's ball (this is because the BFG 10K fires a very complicated ball that attacks enemies close to it with laser beams as it flies and I'm not sure how to replicate it, assistance on this would be appreciated)
Perhaps having it as a friendly monster with no A_Chase that is moved externally, explodes in its Death, XDeath, and Crash states, and constantly spews something like A_RailAttack ever tick or so if it's close enough to enemies (or a stream of small FastProjectiles that are only shot within a certain range of a target, and automatically die after going slightly outside said range).

These resources are GLORIOUS, and models would be a huge bonus (for example, a proper reload and pump for Zrrion's centered Q2 SSG, the original intended upgraded SSG for X-Weapon). And now, a message the appropriate party will likely never hear:

Dammit, ZDevs (and Graf Zahl especially), when will you add A_BeamAttack? A hitscan that draws a visible line between the shooter and target? Is that really that hard?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Actually, in my opinion, doing high res screenshot rips of low poly models will only accentuate its roughness (ugliness).

It will get worse for animated actors (monsters) - with such crisp dimensions, you cannot get away with doing 4-frame walking animations anymore or it will just look horrible. So you will then be forced to render out more frames, and with that the file size and memory footprint of the entire thing will increase a lot (because of the increased dimensions of the sprites).

I'm seconding what Enjay said. If I were to be the author of this project, I would definitely go ahead and put my effort into converting the models right away (knowing that this is intended to be for GZDoom, so the software renderer is none of my concern) instead of having twice the workload (first with sprites, then later models)...

But hey, whatever you feel like doing! Just throwing my 2 cents in.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Hm. There is an extra weapon in the "Reckoning" mission pack (I think), which would also be very useful, if you could do it - it's called the "Plasma blast", as I remember. Well actually there are plenty of new weapons in "Reckoning", but 99% of them are useless crap, the "Plasma blast" is the only one which worths using.
As for models, you could use the Noesis software to convert Quake models into GZDoom-suitable ones.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The models shouldn't need converting. Quake II uses the MD2 format which GZDoom supports.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Reckoning has no "plasma blast".

Using Noesis for converting/porting copyrighted material is highly discouraged.

Also the weapons should never be placed in the lower right corner. The weapon models' origin are actually dead center. and you might want to rework all the sprites as they all do not suit Doom's vertical pixel aspect
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

I didn't expect that most people would want models instead of sprites, that is why I started with sprites. I will stop development of the sprite version for now and start the model version immediately. It is heartening to see people are very interested in Quake II resources, I'm really not sure why this hasn't been done before.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Well it's 2014 after all, and models DO look better than sprites. The sprites, while easy to made, have the nasty habit of looking extremely fugly when viewed from above or below, it doesn't matter if it's XY-billboarding or Y-billboarding.
Also, Quake II "Ground Zero" has the new guns and items, including the "Plasma blast".
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The Reckoning additional weapons:
The Trap, Ion Ripper, Phalanx Particle Cannon

Ground Zero additional weapons:
Tesla Mine, Chainsaw, ETF Rifle, Prox Launcher, Plasma Beam

Personally, I like the ETF rifle. OK, so it's basically a Quake nailgun - but I still like it. :P
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

I got the first set of pickups models into GZDoom without issue, however now that I've started on the weapons, I've run into a strange issue. For some reason GZDoom is mirroring the HUD weapons as if the player was left handed. In all the MD2 model viewers I open, the models display clearly as right handed. I'm not sure how to correct this issue, there doesn't seem to be any mirror options in MODELDEF.

Here are some screenshots of the issue.
Spoiler:
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yeah GZDoom's HUD model rendering is just weird like that sometimes... you can do a quick fix by scaling the X axis negatively in your MODELDEF. So Scale 1 1 1 would become Scale -1 1 1

Return to “Resources”