Hard-Doom v7.1 - Updated 9/30/16

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Hard-Doom v7.1 - Updated 9/30/16

Postby Faerlyn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:24 pm

Current Revision: Version 7.1

Hard Doom Website

Hard Doom ModDB Page

Hard Doom is a replacement/enhancement mod that replaces all monsters in Doom 2 with versions that are similar in role, but more dangerous. In general, Hard-Doom is geared towards players who want a more difficult, genuine survival experience, and it has a variety of visual effects that are more subtle and don't block your view of the action. Over the years since its initial release, it has been meticulously balanced and rebalanced, with new features and effects added to make this a great mod to play through the popular megawads with, without changing Doom's flavor or core gameplay.

The latest version now also now works between Zandronum and ZDoom.

Changes in v7.1:

Code: Select allExpand view
<> Weapons <>
1. Added smooth weapons.
2. Improved the weapon functionality of the Sonic Railgun and Skulltag Railgun.
3. Added a particle effect to bullet & chainsaw puffs.
4. Lowered the Sonic Railgun's drop rate to 6.25% (from 7.5%)
5. Increased the spread on the Sonic Railgun's primary fire to 1.8,1.2 (from 1,1) so it's less useful long range.
6. Added ejected cells to the Skulltag Railgun.
7. Made railgun shots use sprites instead of particles (requires ZDoom 2.7.0+).
8. Added a particle effect to rail impacts.
9. Adjusted grenade gravity and bounce factors. The grenade launcher should feel a little better now and you should kill yourself less.
10. Added new sounds for rocket/grenade explosions.
11. Replaced the grenade bounce sound with a better one.
12. Adjusted the Quad Shotgun blast and Super Shotgun fire sounds slightly.

<> Monsters <>
1. Tweaked Sonic Railgunners more. Fixed a bug that caused them to keep firing when losing LOS of the target. Also increased their primary attack spread to 2.4,1.2 (from 2,1) and gave their secondary attack a spread of 1.2,0.6.
2. Sonic Railgunners are now bright when firing and their dynamic lights are a little brighter. No more being ninjas in dark areas!
3. The Dark Imp's strong projectiles (pink) now weave slightly.
4. Tweaked the Bruiser Demon's fire spawner attack. It's now only used at less than 1024 range and dies once it has traveled 1548 range.
5. Tweaked the Bruiser Demon's projectile spread attack. It now throws 5 projectiles instead of 6.
6. Reworked the Annihilators rockets. They now stop seeking the target once they are dodged, however they are slightly more aggressive.
7. Raised the Annihilator's chance to fire homing rockets from 30% to 40%.
8. Tweaked the Fusion Arachnotrons attack pattern (more random & covers slightly less area).
9. Added a trail to the Arachnotron Mk3's projectiles.
10. Added new sprites for the Rocket Zombie.
11. Gave the Rocket Zombie 78% damage reduction to his own rocket.
12. The Visage ice ball and Ancient Apparition ice breath speed debuff now lasts 1 second longer.
13. Added some gore to the Cyberdemon's and Spider Mastermind's deaths.
14. Lowered the Cyberfiend's Health to 200(from 300) and gave it a lunge attack.
15. Made the Necrodemon's projectiles weave horizontally.
16. Made the Necrodemon's tracer less aggresive and raised its damage to 8-56(from 12-42).
17. Made the Agathodemon's attack pattern less aggressive and made its tracers slightly less aggressive.
18. Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause Bruiser Demons and Pyro Demons to infight.

<> Other <>
1. Added new player sounds for all genders.
2. Added new menu sounds.
3. Added some sounds from Perkristian's sound pack.
4. Added new secret, armor pickup, and key pickup sounds.
5. Adjusted the playback volume of footsteps.
6. Improved gibs by adding rotation sprites and removing the blood pools spawned by gibs.
7. Added smooth items and props.
8. Added lens flare to candelabra.
9. Added more explosion sprites to barrels so they look nicer.
10. Fixed a bug that caused the kill counter to not display over 999.
11. Improved the HUD alignments, it should look a little better now.

Screenshots(old):
Spoiler:

Download Links:
Link 1
Link 2

Known Bugs:
-The Sonic Railgun alt-fire animation is broken in GZDoom 2.2.0. Use GZDoom 2.1.1, ZDoom, or Zandronum 3.0 instead.
Last edited by Faerlyn on Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Faerlyn

Re: Hard-Doom v6.3.2 - Updated 1/24/14

Postby niculinux » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:48 am

Thank you very much. Is it fully copatible with other mods eg iwad pwad and eventually freedoom?
niculinux
The cheerleader-doom guy

Postby Ed the Bat » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:00 am

niculinux wrote:Thank you very much. Is it fully copatible with other mods eg iwad pwad and eventually freedoom?

Mostly. It no longer uses setslot to declare weapons, which is fantastic. It does still need to use KEYCONF to clear and declare playerclasses, in order to maintain Zandronum compatibility, so it won't be compatible with other mods that use the current MAPINFO method.
Ed the Bat

Postby niculinux » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:02 am

Ed the Bat wrote:
niculinux wrote:Thank you very much. Is it fully copatible with other mods eg iwad pwad and eventually freedoom?

Mostly. It no longer uses setslot to declare weapons, which is fantastic. It does still need to use KEYCONF to clear and declare playerclasses, in order to maintain Zandronum compatibility, so it won't be compatible with other mods that use the current MAPINFO method.

Ok thanks...i'm really not into doom programming (i barely know how to turn on a pc) but seems very interesting. Possibly, gotta try out with latest freedoom version, 0.8. Thanks again!
niculinux
The cheerleader-doom guy

Postby niculinux » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:52 am

Ok given a very very very quick try with freedoom 2 IWAD file, weapons seems to work but some shows up with the original freedoom sequence, like the regular shotgun:

niculinux
The cheerleader-doom guy

Postby Faerlyn » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:50 pm

niculinux wrote:Ok given a very very very quick try with freedoom 2 IWAD file, weapons seems to work but some shows up with the original freedoom sequence, like the regular shotgun:

This is because Freedoom is an iwad and Hard-Doom doesn't replace weapon sprites. :)

Also... I've created a little website for Hard-Doom which now contains the download links. Also I'm going to be releasing an update tomorrow to fix the small amount of bugs that exist in 6.3.2 as well as improving the Sonic Railgun, and the Hells Fury.
Faerlyn

Postby dljosef » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:04 pm

When the update comes, will I get credited with the bestiary info?
dljosef
Brutal Doom? Nope, I don't care.

Postby Faerlyn » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:16 pm

dljosef wrote:When the update comes, will I get credited with the bestiary info?

You already are! :)
Faerlyn

Postby dljosef » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:21 pm

And there's a random error that keeps crashing GZDoom.

C0000095 (Integer Overflow)
Address: 0144AD7A

I have no idea what causes that.
dljosef

Postby Faerlyn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:12 pm

dljosef wrote:And there's a random error that keeps crashing GZDoom.

No clue! I only use ZDoom and Zandronum and have yet to see this error. It might be something related to just GZDoom.

Also version 6.3.3 has been released! I wasn't able to upload it yesterday due to not having internet. :shock:
Faerlyn

Postby Siberian Tiger » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:46 pm

dljosef wrote:And there's a random error that keeps crashing GZDoom.

I am just guessing, but are you using the latest GZDoom version available or the latest developmental build?
Siberian Tiger

Re: Hard-Doom v6.3.3 - Updated 4/2/14

Postby dljosef » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:24 pm

@Siberian Tiger - I have the latest developmental build now. However, I'm starting to save at certain points more often because the crashing still happens at random points.

Crashing aside, I noticed that making rictus skulls kamikaze can pretty easily work against the enemies given the right circumstances. (Having small blast radius sure as hell helps.)
dljosef

Postby Princess Viscra Maelstrom » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:25 am

the Gamefront mirror seems to be down for me. is it a site-wide thing? i could download it just fine some days ago.
Princess Viscra Maelstrom
It's one head of a ride!

Postby Faerlyn » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:29 pm

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:the Gamefront mirror seems to be down for me. is it a site-wide thing? i could download it just fine some days ago.

I've added a second mirror to download the file from. This way if this happens with Gamefront to anyone else they can still get the file. :)

Edit: I'm messing around with a new HUD currently. It will most likely be in the next release, so let me know what you think of it.
Spoiler:
Faerlyn

Re: Hard-Doom v6.9 - Updated 5/7/14

Postby Faerlyn » Wed May 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Version 6.9 is released! The next version was supposed to be v7 and have three new enemies but I decided to release it as is for now as v6.9. :)
Faerlyn

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods