Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tarnsman

Re: Smooth Animations Project - Take 2!

Post by Tarnsman »

What's the music in the video?
ETPC

Post by ETPC »

This is a fantastic looking mod. I've dreamed for so long about smoother animations in Doom. Only complaints are that the SSG when it's firing is slightlyyyyyyyyyy off center (like around one pixel maybe) and I don't know if the imp 'falling foward' death animation really works. However, that last one is just an opinion ;)

When all the animations are done, are there plans to plug in ejecting brass effects? At that point I will be completely satiated.

Keep it up :)

please don't become brutal doom
JPL

Post by JPL »

Ditto, this mod is a super great idea and it's looking fantastic so far! I'd definitely rather see higher framerate animations than higher res sprites; Perkristian's weapon sprites wad makes that pretty clear.

It's interesting how the process for this must involve thinking through the mechanics of a given animation almost more than the original artists would have.

It would be cool to try doing 100% of one of the easier monsters' move/walk animations, just to get a sense for how much an across-the-board framerate increase helps.
Rustygold

Post by Rustygold »

God damn! Those animations were so f'ing sexy! I think i just came! X)
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Many many thanks for the good vibes and criticism (especially Onslaught for taking the time to explain this stuff at length, it's been hugely helpful)! As a longtime lurker who's never really released anything it feels kind of crazy for me to suddenly be working on this thing that a bunch of people are really into. On that note, I have good news! Script errors have been greatly reduced, the dreaded keycard issue was fixed, and I've undone some of my own goofery and returned things generally to the way they should be. Go to the changelog to see what's shakin'. (I've also managed Ultimate Doom compatibility on the quick; a lot of the conflicting sprites were just unmodified vanilla files, so I just ditched them and fixed a couple of the half-done ones)
Tarnsman wrote:What's the music in the video?
"Zombie Compromise" by Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet. They did the theme song for Kids In The Hall!
sdk2k9 wrote:Ok new problem. What the hell happened here? I was playing Ultimate Doom, when I saw this.
I'm not sure what the deal is, I've checked out those light sources in both Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 and I'm not experiencing this issue. I've monkeyed with those sprites just now, maybe download the new version and see if the problem persists?
JPL wrote:It would be cool to try doing 100% of one of the easier monsters' move/walk animations, just to get a sense for how much an across-the-board framerate increase helps.
Actually the imp, zombie and pinky movements have already been totally finished by Sarge and co. The imp sprites in particular I can't play without anymore, they're really well done.
ETPC wrote:When all the animations are done, are there plans to plug in ejecting brass effects? At that point I will be completely satiated.
You know, before I posted this for real, there was a version where I'd shoehorned shell casings in. Maybe sooner rather than later I'll stick those back in via an addon.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

This is really cool. Also dig the extra gore added in there, just wish it changed color with the HK/Barons and Cacodemons. Keep up the good work!
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

PRIMEVAL wrote:This is really cool. Also dig the extra gore added in there, just wish it changed color with the HK/Barons and Cacodemons. Keep up the good work!
That's doable and there are some mods around that take care of it. I was even working on one myself not too long ago.
For instance regarding the baron and chaingunner animations in the OP: they suddenly have no weight to them.
While I agree on the chaingunner death (and said as much earlier) I think the Baron looks awesome. And mind you, I'm guessing he didn't spend a lot of time making sure the timing of the gifs was exact to the timing of the game. Ideally, the new animations (with more frames) should take up the same amount of animation time as the originals--you can see in his chaingunner gif that it's noticably longer (because it has more frames) but in-game, those frames should be displayed faster than the original's, to simulate the same speed of movement. Just look at the weapons for an example of how this is done, the chaingun in particular--the animation moves twice as fast as the original but it has twice as many frames.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

This looks super promising, I especially like that you've included altdeaths for Imps (and maybe others). Most of the new animations I've seen so far blend in beautifully.

Really wish it used the Sprite Fixing Project as a base though. I think that should be the community's "new normal" baseline for sprite mods.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

@sprite fixing project-
A lot of people have mentioned that, so I've recently started using those fixes and I'll continue to do that from now on.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

That's great to hear. Godspeed.

They recently released version 1.4, for anyone who hasn't seen.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

found a bug
while enemies are infight, the sprite that show is the frontal to the player

and is a nice proyect :) it make doom feel refresh and the new deaths looking good too :D
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Mav3rick wrote:while enemies are infight, the sprite that show is the frontal to the player
Yup, those are the animations that don't have full rotations yet; speaking of which:

New update is live! I've completed several rotations, and also did my best to fix the goofy clusterfuck that is the Revenant. That's an ongoing project, but I think his movement looks a lot better now. There's some other goodies, including a new chaingunner death! See the changelist for a full report.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

It's certainly an interesting take on smooth animations, and it's more complete than the previous takes. I feel like it skews the difficulty a bit, though; projectiles like the Imp's, Hellknight's and Baron's all seem to move faster, enemies themselves move faster, and attack animations also come out quicker. To the point that while chainsawing an Imp to death, they may get in one quick slash inbetween the hits, or they may spam more fireballs than before that are particularly harder to dodge in close-quarters. Was this all to match up with the sped-up animations?
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

I would also say that some of the back animation frames could probably get fudged; it's the front ones that need updated. Also, internally, if the animations aren't finished then the additional frames should probably be replaced with duplicate frames (to maintain vanilla's regular animations) rather than switching randomly to the front frames. Just my thoughts though.
PaskaTykki

Post by PaskaTykki »

Happy see this project still alive. :) Animations looks very good. Keep going!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”