The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [Release] The Guncaster - Rock the Dragon... today!

Post by Captain J »

also it has a OP damage too, and those ammos are very easy to find(replacement of the wand crystals, duh.) either, so we can not to worry about death or out-of-ammo fact of seriousness because of that.

oh, and i'm waiting for key pickup sound sfx also more gold pickup sound sfxs too, like this!;
many thanks to Sangelothi's martyr!.zip
(209.96 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
anyway, i played it lil bit and it's wonderful, now finally i can see the ammo amounts has been balanced! anyway i hope i can play this mod among with hexen, that would be great.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

I thought that there was no way you could do something as cool as Russian Overkill.
Well i was wrong.
Really wrong.
Hellfier

Post by Hellfier »

Just wanted to mention that even if I buy the health boost from the shop, it doesn't actually increase my health by 10 as the description of it states.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Confirming it works wonderfully with a gamepad over here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TheDarkArchon wrote:
wildweasel wrote:Oh, here's a HUD I wrote for Guncaster today:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/766 ... caster.pk3
Dammit, Weasel, you beat me to the punch. I also a custom HUD thing for Guncaster:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6i428fb94nzq5jt/TDAGCHUD.zip
Perhaps we should strike a compromise. Your HUD seems to have been designed with the fullscreen mode in mind, while mine was designed for the normal statusbar HUD. Maybe we should join forces? I notice you've also figured out how to display the active spell, which is a feature mine lacks.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

You do realise that dammit wasn't all that serious, right?

Anywho, sure. My HUD was made as a fullscreen HUD as I use the fullscreen HUD 99% of the time anyway. As for the displaying the active spell, it's a case of checking if the player has each of the active spells. My code for it is below:
Spoiler:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

may of your hud got merged together, i really wanna see about that conversion, though.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TheDarkArchon wrote:You do realise that dammit wasn't all that serious, right?
Yes, actually. I guess I tend to be too serious when writing my replies.

Anyway, with your permission, I've updated my copy of the HUD to include yours as the fullscreen variant and adapt some of the extra stuff for the statusbar variant:

I also changed the CONFONT-based labels to SMALLFONT ones instead, changed the color of the ammo number (and made it quit going red...), added the spell icon and mana bar from the fullscreen HUD, and moved the gold counter to make room.

PillowB, if you plan on adding these HUDs to the Guncaster mainline, I recommend removing the mana and gold counters from the inventory bar, as they are now redundant with the indicators on the bar.

[edit] If you downloaded this within the last hour or so, please redownload as I've hotfixed the location of the key bar, that I'd mistakenly left under the mana bar.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

How in the world have I missed this?
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I vote the other way for gold and mana staying on the inventory since they are selectable items with no use so you can keep from accidentally Tome of Power'ing or otherwise. Lesser reasons include compatibility with the AltHUD. (Yes I'm a fogey that likes to see everything at once without the ugliness of a reduced screen.)
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Gave this a spin earlier. Was a lot of fun, but I have a few issues:

-There should be more melee options. The smashy punching is great, but I was expecting more RIP AND TEAR clawing. I like that you can do a diving kick or roundhouse, and the aerial stomp attack is awesome, but it's disappointing that there aren't more aerial options. If you could do a bicycle kick or spinning hurricane kick in midair, at least...
The Street Fighter-esque combos in Russian Overkill were a lot of fun, why not bring those back?
Also, I get that you can't do a roundhouse with the bigger guns out, but it should at least be possible with the revolver.

-Weapons should be boosted by the Tome of Power. It doesn't have to be anything major (that's what the boosted spells are for) but something like "bullets can damage ghosts" would be nice. Melee attacks could be infused with dragonfire or something.

-Needs Doom compatibility; Heretic is great, but it severely limits your map choices.
nax

Post by nax »

Lightning should be replaced by a piercing railgun type ability. There's already fireball, frozen orb, and that super bfg spell for room clearing / multi target damage. The lightning doesn't do enough damage, is outclassed in terms of usefulness by the others, and is too finnicky in aiming to merit it. We have no high damage pierce type gun nor spell, and lightning would be the perfect use for this type of ability. (I don't really count the cauterizer as it's a pretty big / slow projectile)

If you do something like that, it'd be cool to be able to charge something like that. Also if you do something like this, make sure not to overdue the startup animation on firing it (stuff like that usually makes those pinpoint accurate attacks feel too stiff and finnicky)

Less importantly, and not really a balance change (more of a "neato" thing).

I understand fireball is a low cost spell so it shouldn't be quite as powerful as the others. Still, I'd love to see like a 'charge' mechanic added to it. As it charges it gains speed, with max charge throwing out a single flaming boulder from the tome of power version of the spell. charge time, perhaps 3 seconds for max charge. 1 sec 25% faster, 2 sec 50% faster, 3 sec 50% faster + boulder, something like that.

Honestly I'd love to add charges to most of the spells. Seems like it'd make spell casting a little more separate from just being another weapon (which isn't a problem at all)
Jack Mackerel

Post by Jack Mackerel »

Ethril wrote:Gave this a spin earlier. Was a lot of fun, but I have a few issues:

-There should be more melee options. The smashy punching is great, but I was expecting more RIP AND TEAR clawing. I like that you can do a diving kick or roundhouse, and the aerial stomp attack is awesome, but it's disappointing that there aren't more aerial options. If you could do a bicycle kick or spinning hurricane kick in midair, at least...
The Street Fighter-esque combos in Russian Overkill were a lot of fun, why not bring those back?
Also, I get that you can't do a roundhouse with the bigger guns out, but it should at least be possible with the revolver.

-Weapons should be boosted by the Tome of Power. It doesn't have to be anything major (that's what the boosted spells are for) but something like "bullets can damage ghosts" would be nice. Melee attacks could be infused with dragonfire or something.

-Needs Doom compatibility; Heretic is great, but it severely limits your map choices.
I'd kill for Bioshock-esque weapon upgrades.

Also, I'm agreeing with the rally to nerf Devil's Kiss. Granted, I'm slightly biased because the vigor I used the most in BI was Devil's Kiss, but here, it's effective against everything, even without a Tome.

I think Threadcutter needs a bit of a boost to make it viable without a Tome of Power.
nax

Post by nax »

threadcutter is already very powerful. Early on it doesn't seem that way due to mana issues - when you upgrade a level (or 2) of mana regen it is probably TOO strong and can end up just replacing your need for weapons outside of the rocket launcher / bfg.

Once you play a bit more threadcutter is pretty ridiculous.
wildweasel wrote:Anyway, with your permission, I've updated my copy of the HUD to include yours as the fullscreen variant and adapt some of the extra stuff for the statusbar variant:
Getting there, though on the largest screen size it takes up far too much space on 1280x1024. The Skulls in particular seem a bit overkill as far as screen real estate. Font size could be lowered slightly and the box for ammo takes up a bit more space than it needs to. With the gold / ammo indications on the right shrunk slightly you could place the key indicators on top of them to keep it fairly even with the health/armor/mana bars. Also the item box could probably use a slight shrink (nothing major). As for the spell indicator, enlarging it hurts the quality a bit much. I'd probably just put at the radial menu's size and put it right next to the gold bar.

On 16:9 resolutions these are still valid changes, but the problem really comes in with 5:4

The hud itself though looks very nice.

EDIT: As far as mod stuff goes - I know a few heretic mapsets use doom / hexen monsters (hordes of chaos for one) and they do not drop gold. Is there a way you could do that or is it basically just a wad thing.
Jack Mackerel

Post by Jack Mackerel »

That's the issue, I wind up forgetting to get mana boosters, and my inner Booker keeps telling me to hurl Devil's Kiss/Murder of Crows/Lightning. :V I think most powers at this stage are all pretty overpowered (well, slightly - lightning does have the inaccuracy bit, so that counts).

The fullscreen HUD is extremely tiny on 16:9 1920x1080.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”