Cordis - A Valentine's Day Special

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
XCVG

Cordis - A Valentine's Day Special

Post by XCVG »

Cordis - A Valentine's Day Mod for ZDoom

This is my first release here, although it's not my first ZDoom project. It has story, cutscenes, and an adventure-like portion, so those that prefer pure Doom might want to stay away. It's a bit rough around the edges because I ran out of time. The dialog is kind of cheesy, it's kind of linear and some of the maps are pretty drab. I have no idea how much gameplay is there- maybe an hour or so, it's hard to test when you know where everything is.

But it's a seasonal mod and I don't know of any others for this occasion. Yes, I know it's not as big as Christmas or Halloween, but I plan to do more in the future so call it a test run on my part.

Requires DOOM2. Freedoom works with some visual weirdness, you can play it with (Ultimate) Doom but there's a lot missing. The Lite version is much smaller, but has a different soundtrack and fewer/lower quality graphics and sounds.

Full credits are included in the package.

Download: Full| Lite
Last edited by XCVG on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Cordis - A Valentine's Day Special

Post by Ed the Bat »

I liked it; I thought it was cute. Loved the use of voxels, too! My only real complaint would probably be that finding the way around the mall was a bit tricky for me. It was only by chance I figured out to use the monitors, and sniffing out the key took a few minutes, too.

I also noticed there was never any use for the wallet, and using the phone seemed awkward, in that it consumed it and gave me a new one, instead of simply not consuming it. Also, blanking out the Plasma Rifle and BFG9000 could be done more easily by just setting those Player.WeaponSlot fields to "", and having the dummy actors replace the offending weapons. Oh, and giving the new weapons the same Editor Numbers as the ones they replace is redundant, and just spits warnings at launch.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

A few clues about how to proceed would help. Like what am i supposed to do without using the "noclip" cheat?
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

Ed the Bat wrote:I liked it; I thought it was cute. Loved the use of voxels, too! My only real complaint would probably be that finding the way around the mall was a bit tricky for me. It was only by chance I figured out to use the monitors, and sniffing out the key took a few minutes, too.
The monitors I was a bit worried about. Using terminals is common in modern games but rare in Doom WADs. Having trouble finding the key surprises me, though- I thought it was pretty obvious. I guess that's what happens when you're the only one that tests your levels.
Ed the Bat wrote:I also noticed there was never any use for the wallet, and using the phone seemed awkward, in that it consumed it and gave me a new one, instead of simply not consuming it. Also, blanking out the Plasma Rifle and BFG9000 could be done more easily by just setting those Player.WeaponSlot fields to "", and having the dummy actors replace the offending weapons. Oh, and giving the new weapons the same Editor Numbers as the ones they replace is redundant, and just spits warnings at launch.
The wallet... yeah, it doesn't do anything. I probably should have removed it, but never got around to it. I couldn't figure out how to make the inventory item not consume itself on use, even after quite a bit of searching. As for the weapon slots, I didn't know that would work, and I'll keep it in mind for future projects. Same for the editor numbers.
Endless123 wrote:A few clues about how to proceed would help. Like what am i supposed to do without using the "noclip" cheat?
When in doubt use your phone. If you're stuck in the airport, try talking to people and "checking" (using) the flight board as well.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

XCVG wrote: I couldn't figure out how to make the inventory item not consume itself on use, even after quite a bit of searching.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/CustomInventory
The Wiki wrote:Success can be overridden by terminating the state sequence with fail instead of stop.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

http://edthebat.com/doom/cordis_fullAlt.wad
I hope I'm not overstepping any boundaries, but I took the liberty to implement the edits I mentioned; the wallet won't appear in inventory, using the phone won't consume it, cheating won't give the energy weapons (without using blank dummy weapons), and redundant Editor Numbers are gone. I also went ahead and made sure ACS gives the phone in every level it should appear (not Hell on Earth), just in case someone was warping around with cheats or something and didn't have it.

Return to “Levels”