GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action (last post here 4-18-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LostSkull

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy themed, arcade inspired, gameplay mod [V0

Post by LostSkull »

Triple S wrote:
LostSkull wrote:I dunno if this's a bug or not but when I press Reload while using my sword and trying to swing it, it returns to its normal state and nothing more's happening.
This happens if you don't have enough sword power. Try smacking some enemies with it and picking up sword crystals.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Triple S wrote:
LostSkull wrote:I dunno if this's a bug or not but when I press Reload while using my sword and trying to swing it, it returns to its normal state and nothing more's happening.
This happens if you don't have enough sword power. Try smacking some enemies with it and picking up sword crystals.

BUG REPORT: Changing weapon modes removes powerups like Invulnerability (though the screen overlay remains for the normal duration - don't be fooled).
I found that out the hard way earlier, how odd. I'll look into replacing the god sphere with something else later.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

I'm having so much fun with this. I can't wait until Winter's Fury is downloaded!
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Decided to post this here, because it seems appropiate.

Also: Not to ask for more powerups and such, but will a future update enable item drops for all enemies? Seems like it'd make more sense, since we're going for these style of games.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

Sometimes they drop food right? Or diamonds?
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

LostSkull wrote:Sometimes they drop food right? Or diamonds?
The Former humans sometimes drop chests, wand/sword crystals, armor (Only the iron armor, though) and food. I figured that most (if not all) enemies drop items in these kind of games (the type of games that are the basis for this mod) it'd only fit, at least in my opinion.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

Makes sense to me at least.
It kinda "bothers" me that the monsters can't hear you while you swing your sword and scream.
IIRC they don't react to the staff weapon either.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

The sword not aggroing monsters break tele-traps, but they react to the wand, just use that at first to unbreak them.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

I'll probably remove the silent sword so it doesn't break teleporter traps

As for not all enemies dropping chests. Not every enemy drops items in arcade games now do they? Furthermore I can't have other monsters drop items, to do that would require making new enemy types, and I want GMOTA to be very flexible and compatible with a wide range of other mods. So that's a no go.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Combine_Kegan wrote:As for not all enemies dropping chests. Not every enemy drops items in arcade games now do they? Furthermore I can't have other monsters drop items, to do that would require making new enemy types, and I want GMOTA to be very flexible and compatible with a wide range of other mods. So that's a no go.
Redefining new enemy types isn't necessary. You can do what Term Does with Samsara:

Code: Select all

GMOTA_Zombiemansomething : Zombieman replaces Zombieman
{
Dropitem "blah" 200
}
And it'll work out fine, (or it should, at least) and the items will have a chance not to spawn, so it's not like you're getting overloaded with items, but hey, that's your call, just thought the idea would be cool.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

iSpook wrote:During gameplay
*Nope Nope Nope Nope*

anyway, for small or weak monsters, i hope they drops pouch instead of big chest, though. also talking about off-topics, is this mod will be have a custom difficulty setting names? and key pickup sounds too.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Alright, so I've played the new version, and I gotta say, the sub-weapons improve it a whole bunch.

However, there a few things still iffy.

1. The Magic Cluster Missile could be sped up a bit more, as well as a increase to the radius, though not too much. As it is now, its difficult to use effectively as it travels just a little too slowly, and it only seems to hurt 1-2 monsters.

2. The short ranged lightning takes way too long to charge. You practically need to see into the future to be able to use this and not lose half your health, if not more. Very satisfying if you do land it, however!

3. The "Push Wave" could do to have its range extended a bit more.

4. I kinda miss having to charge the vortex, I keep using it when I mean to charge it. This is probably more due to muscle memory than anything.

5. The chakram's hitbox is just a little to tall, though I think that's more to keep inline with the sprite, but I kept on expected to through it past ledges when it bounces off them. Probably just have to learn its nuances. Damn fun to toss a bunch in a room and watch the slaughter tho!

The sword alt-fire's are all pretty nice as is, so I don't think these need changed.

If there's anything I'd suggest, is to seperate the powerups, so that you could say, have the Lance with the Missile Cluster, or the Knife with the Chakram, or the Tackle with the Lightning. It would really let the player pick and choose what they want to use.

Also, just as a minor suggestion, but would you possibly be able to have the subweapons also affect the powered up weapons alt-fires? That would make this thing crazy awesome. If anything, just take a look at Super Ghouls and ghosts for ideas.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it!
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

That's pretty much my only problems with it as well
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Cryomundus wrote:Alright, so I've played the new version, and I gotta say, the sub-weapons improve it a whole bunch.

However, there a few things still iffy.

1. The Magic Cluster Missile could be sped up a bit more, as well as a increase to the radius, though not too much. As it is now, its difficult to use effectively as it travels just a little too slowly, and it only seems to hurt 1-2 monsters.

2. The short ranged lightning takes way too long to charge. You practically need to see into the future to be able to use this and not lose half your health, if not more. Very satisfying if you do land it, however!

3. The "Push Wave" could do to have its range extended a bit more.

4. I kinda miss having to charge the vortex, I keep using it when I mean to charge it. This is probably more due to muscle memory than anything.

5. The chakram's hitbox is just a little to tall, though I think that's more to keep inline with the sprite, but I kept on expected to through it past ledges when it bounces off them. Probably just have to learn its nuances. Damn fun to toss a bunch in a room and watch the slaughter tho!

The sword alt-fire's are all pretty nice as is, so I don't think these need changed.

If there's anything I'd suggest, is to seperate the powerups, so that you could say, have the Lance with the Missile Cluster, or the Knife with the Chakram, or the Tackle with the Lightning. It would really let the player pick and choose what they want to use.

Also, just as a minor suggestion, but would you possibly be able to have the subweapons also affect the powered up weapons alt-fires? That would make this thing crazy awesome. If anything, just take a look at Super Ghouls and ghosts for ideas.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it!
I'm glad you're finding the update better, lemme address your remarks

1. Already futzed with the cluster missile, that was due to my own negligence and it wound up being shitty, V0.9 will fix that
2. I'm constantly shortening the lighting's windup, and I removed that range limit, because that sucks ass.
3. for v0.9, the force wave will be assigned to the wand's zoom key, so you'll have access to it at all times, I won't increase the range however because it's absurdly powerful if you pin monsters to walls with it.
4. I'm sure you'll adjust, no worries.
5. I'll shrink the height shortly after posting this!

as for separating the subweapons and spells... well. I'll think about it. Though subweapons won't change the powered weapon forms, the power weapons are there to be consistent, something you always have handy, the power beam pierces through long lines of monsters and makes short work of bosses, and the heavy spikeball shreds crowds, and pushes higher threats away, I might make it stop projectiles while it's flying through the air.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

and v0.9 is ready to go. lemme know what you guys think.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”