[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Vader

Post by Vader »

This cool intermission system should be standard for all upcoming projects :D
Risen

Post by Risen »

Chris wrote:I hope those scanlines move erraticly. It'll really ruin the effect if they're static with the occasional green fade.
They're not scan lines, it's interlacing, which is static. However, as I said, that part of it is far from done.
Agent ME wrote:If that was done with only ACS, i say,

"MAKE IT OPEN-SOURCE SO WE CAN SEE HOW YOU DID IT OR ELSE I'LL THINK IT WAS MAGIC AND I'LL BECOME EVEN MORE INSANE THAN I AM NOW!"
Yes, all ACS. The code will be public after KDIZD's release. Maybe I'll even document it if there's interest.
HotWax wrote:Um, won't that require scripting every single pickup and enemy in all the maps to make it work?
No, as Chris pointed out. Randy added this function at my request, specifically for this project.
However, it will require a small group of scripts in each map that run in the background, and that a script be executed on map exit. I'll be providing these a bit later once I've tested them more.
Agent ME wrote:Heh. I never would have dreamed GetLevelInfo did all that. Did it?

*/me goes to wiki to check it out*
Only the first screenshot. The second shot is a result of collecting those into a global array, and the third shot is all stuff you can script without it (less the last two stats, which are actually just calculations). I'm not sure if it made it into the wiki yet, but if I have some time I'll make sure it's right.
Bio Hazard wrote:and the code i saw hardly did anything! i can only imagine what it looks like now...
1400 lines. It will grow as I fix things, clean things, and add some remaining features.
Vader wrote:This cool intermission system should be standard for all upcoming projects :D
Fine with me! :)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Risen - Great job, this intermission job rocks. This is sometzhing, which has never been done before and make our project absolutely unique!!! :)

@wildweasel - Can you point outthe link once more?
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Risen wrote:
Vader wrote:This cool intermission system should be standard for all upcoming projects :D
Fine with me! :)
Should get yourself a patent on this... I mean you really should. Before people start using this kind of intermission forgetting who started it.
Risen

Post by Risen »

Tormentor: Perhaps now you can appreciate why it has taken me so long, and why I will definitely need more time!
ellmo wrote:Should get yourself a patent on this... I mean you really should. Before people start using this kind of intermission forgetting who started it.
I would be quite honored enough just to see it used in other places.
If anyone copies the code I release, though, I would expect to be credited for it.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

BTW, don'T forget, tomorrow, WEEK 2 is over...
Da_maniaC

Post by Da_maniaC »

Tormentor667 wrote:BTW, don'T forget, tomorrow, WEEK 2 is over...
I know its off topic, but Tormentor , please check your PMs.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

The 3rd Intermission screenie reminds me of "TimeSplitters"
Risen

Post by Risen »

I'm not familiar with Timesplitters.
Tormentor667 wrote:BTW, don'T forget, tomorrow, WEEK 2 is over...
Yes, I need to discuss that with you.

As you can see, the intermission is coming along well, but it will not be done by Friday. I am signed up for M6 on week three.

I can take M6 on week three and set aside the intermission map. Once week three is over, I will pick up the intermission again and finish it while the other maps are beta-tested. How does this sound?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Risen - I am ok with that!
Risen

Map stat collection scripts!

Post by Risen »

Okay, here is the script you need to put in your maps! Please add it before you finish your work today.
Spoiler: script code
How to use it:
Copy/past into your scripts lump. Compile.

You need to call script 803 to exit the map with the first argument set to 0. If you are using the secret exit, you still need to call 803, but the first argument needs to be set to 1.

The rest of the scripts run themselves when necessary.

You do not need to edit the script at all. I know that you can't call 803 directly from a map, but please don't modify the number. Create another script that you can call and have it execute 803. If you do this and I find a bug and correct it, then your map may not be affected.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Wouldn't it be better do do this as an ACS library? That way there'd be no duplicate code and eventual changes would only have to be done in one place.
Risen

Post by Risen »

Perhaps. But honestly, I don't have enough experience with that and while I do plan on learning I just haven't had the time.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It is really easy. Let's name your statistics file 'stats.acs'.
All you have to do is put a line

Code: Select all

#library "stats"
at the top and then put a line

Code: Select all

#import "stats.acs"
at the top of each level's ACS source. Then you must add the compiled output of the library file into the WAD between the AC_START and AC_END markers.
Risen

Post by Risen »

But everyone still needs the source code of stats.acs in order to compile their scripts. Wouldn't that mean if I make a change, everyone needs to recompile anyway?

Return to “Levels”