GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 4/3/2018 [V1.2]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:22 am

I hate double posting but I'd just like to let you guys know that the new version is up, lots of cool new stuff to be had here!
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Endless123 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:08 pm

I really love the new stuff in your mod, It's really well done and fun to play with :D

Keep it up :D
Endless123
 
Joined: 28 Aug 2013

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:42 am

This next update is going to be a big one, here's a peek at something I just got working, big thanks to the other coders who've been helping me.

Image
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:00 am

and V0.7 is up, please give it a shot!
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:46 am

This is a very fun mod! It simplifies the doom gameplay in a good way, and makes it quicker.
I threw together an alternate wand morph animation, what do you think?:
Spoiler:

I was also wondering are you planning on making the wand orb bright in it's impact animation? It looks kind of weird at the moment when it hits a wall.
Again, this mod is a blast to play and I hope to see it developed further!
User avatar
Sgt. Shivers
 
Joined: 22 Jun 2012
Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:48 am

Sgt. Shivers wrote:This is a very fun mod! It simplifies the doom gameplay in a good way, and makes it quicker.
I threw together an alternate wand morph animation, what do you think?:
Spoiler:

I was also wondering are you planning on making the wand orb bright in it's impact animation? It looks kind of weird at the moment when it hits a wall.
Again, this mod is a blast to play and I hope to see it developed further!


Holy shit, that animation is beautiful. I might look into using that later. Wow.

and what do you mean bright in the impact animation? You make just add BRIGHT to the impact frames or that actual fancy lighting you see on mods?
Last edited by Combine_Kegan on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:51 am

Combine_Kegan wrote:
Sgt. Shivers wrote:This is a very fun mod! It simplifies the doom gameplay in a good way, and makes it quicker.
I threw together an alternate wand morph animation, what do you think?:
Spoiler:

I was also wondering are you planning on making the wand orb bright in it's impact animation? It looks kind of weird at the moment when it hits a wall.
Again, this mod is a blast to play and I hope to see it developed further!


Holy shit, that animation is beautiful. I might look into use that later. Wow.

and what do you mean bright in the impact animation? You make just add BRIGHT to the impact frames or that actual fancy lighting you see on mods?


Just add BRIGHT to the impact frames, it will help to let the player know if they're hitting things when shooting in the dark.
User avatar
Sgt. Shivers
 
Joined: 22 Jun 2012
Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:52 am

Sgt. Shivers wrote:
Combine_Kegan wrote:
Sgt. Shivers wrote:This is a very fun mod! It simplifies the doom gameplay in a good way, and makes it quicker.
I threw together an alternate wand morph animation, what do you think?:
Spoiler:

I was also wondering are you planning on making the wand orb bright in it's impact animation? It looks kind of weird at the moment when it hits a wall.
Again, this mod is a blast to play and I hope to see it developed further!


Holy shit, that animation is beautiful. I might look into use that later. Wow.

and what do you mean bright in the impact animation? You make just add BRIGHT to the impact frames or that actual fancy lighting you see on mods?


Just add BRIGHT to the impact frames, it will help to let the player know if they're hitting things when shooting in the dark.


I'll gladly do that then. Next version will have those bright frames. and if you can, send me the individual frames of that animation through a PM or something and I'll put them to use. Thank you again, and I'm glad you like my mod.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Endless123 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:29 am

Well well well ... and i though you couldn't do any better you actually did :D

The only problem is your HUD, maybe you could consider to re-size it a bit

Image

Note that the screenshot have been take at an in-game resolution of 1024x768. It's no big deal though, only a downsize is necessary for a correct display.

I suggest you change this to the SBARINFO
Spoiler:


Your HUD With the corrections i suggested :
Spoiler:

That's how i solved my oversized elements on my HUD. The resolution doesn't matter i think as long as there is one defined.

Despise that, the changes you made are big improvements. Not that it really needed some if you ask me :D The gameplay becomes really challenging on some maps but i don't think it's a problem since i suck at playing Doom :lol:

Keep it up :)
Endless123
 
Joined: 28 Aug 2013

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:39 am

Endless123 wrote:Well well well ... and i though you couldn't do any better you actually did :D

The only problem is your HUD, maybe you could consider to re-size it a bit

Image

Note that the screenshot have been take at an in-game resolution of 1024x768. It's no big deal though, only a downsize is necessary for a correct display.

I suggest you change this to the SBARINFO
Spoiler:


Your HUD With the corrections i suggested :
Spoiler:

That's how i solved my oversized elements on my HUD. The resolution doesn't matter i think as long as there is one defined.

Despise that, the changes you made are big improvements. Not that it really needed some if you ask me :D The gameplay becomes really challenging on some maps but i don't think it's a problem since i suck at playing Doom :lol:

Keep it up :)


Something tells me there's something off about your suggestion.

Image
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Endless123 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:54 am

I forgot to tell you the modifications i suggested are for the fullscreen HUD when the default alternative HUD is off. The default normal HUD is also affected by the resolution settings in SBARINFO.

To make it works to replace the default normal HUD just replace this : "statusbar fullscreen, fullscreenoffsets, forcescaled" for "statusbar normal, fullscreenoffsets, forcescaled" in SBARINFO.

Sorry i should had told you that in the previous post.

EDIT : The height must be "0" if you are replacing the normal HUD or else it will make an ugly line at the bottom of the HUD
Endless123
 
Joined: 28 Aug 2013

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Crudux Cruo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:21 pm

The gameplay in this is actually pretty fun, but its TOO simple! while this works out decent for the first few maps of doom2, the harder the monsters are, the less powerful you become, and that is the problem with starting out with everything. to solve this i recommend....

PALLET SWAPS!

as the player finds weapon pickups, the sword and wand is upgraded into more powerful versions. (which would require a nerf for the starter weapons) it really doesnt matter which colors, but each time they upgrade their alternate attacks should change somewhat as well, making the upgrade an absolute improvement over the last. one last thing, there is no long range weapons, or weapons with explosions (to beat the end boss), so i recommend a crossbow (sprites already exist with the fighters hands.) to round out the set.

for more information on pallet swap upgrades... see Daggerfall http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Weapons

Good mod overall so far!
User avatar
Crudux Cruo
"It's howdy doody time kiddies, the bad man is here."
 
Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Location: California

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Endless123 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:14 pm

I think that was his goal to make a simple mod with nothing too complicated but still fun to play. Besides it's still a mod in WIP so we should expect other changes that will improve gameplay even further and make hard maps more playable.
Endless123
 
Joined: 28 Aug 2013

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Combine_Kegan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:07 pm

Crudux Cruo wrote:The gameplay in this is actually pretty fun, but its TOO simple! while this works out decent for the first few maps of doom2, the harder the monsters are, the less powerful you become, and that is the problem with starting out with everything. to solve this i recommend....

PALLET SWAPS!

as the player finds weapon pickups, the sword and wand is upgraded into more powerful versions. (which would require a nerf for the starter weapons) it really doesnt matter which colors, but each time they upgrade their alternate attacks should change somewhat as well, making the upgrade an absolute improvement over the last. one last thing, there is no long range weapons, or weapons with explosions (to beat the end boss), so i recommend a crossbow (sprites already exist with the fighters hands.) to round out the set.

for more information on pallet swap upgrades... see Daggerfall http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Weapons

Good mod overall so far!


While I have no plans for palette swaps, I -DO- plan on adding subweapons that change out the non-powered alt attacks of the sword and wand, for example:

Shield:
-Sword gets a shield to block projectiles, consumes sword rage steadily but can only be raised when at full
-Wand recieves a chakram that ricochets madly, always causes pain and general mayhem, consumes 20 red mana

Edit:

Oh and you -DO- have a boss killer. try using the powered sword's altfire.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy
 
Joined: 19 Jan 2014
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: A fantasy themed, arcade inspired, weapon set [V

Postby Captain J » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:41 am

those projectiles are seems...tasty, belive me or not, this mod is really creative. also i'll reply soon if i found some bugs to squash.
User avatar
Captain J
'OH YE'
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Secret Chamber
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MentzWolf, Simple Pie [RSS], TweetMeme [Bot] and 8 guests