[The Original] Conan the Barbarian (Crappy preview released)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ThomsonI

Re: Conan the Barbarian

Post by ThomsonI »

Slight update and apologies for the delay. Neither the project nor I are dead. A few months ago I had intended to try to have the first release out "by the end of the year," but will definitely be able to accomplish that now. >_>

Coding is about a quarter to a third done totally, half-ish for the beta. Blame the new Shadow Warrior (no, I won't be trying to include the special move system from that, as fun as it was to play).

I've added a few new names to the "Thank you's" section on the first page.

Malak will be included in the first release.

The Stygian sword drains your life while you hold it out to make up for it allowing you to suck health from enemies (not using it? You're gonna want to put it up!). It also has a third attack (coded, not tested, but should work) allowing you to drain your life force for an additionally powerful short-range (not just melee) attack, with gory special effects.

Working on including parrying for most of the swords, and may possibly add a shield for some of the weapons. Probably won't be in the beta. In fact, most of the utility items probably won't be in there (though you can see the commented off framework I've laid out for them in the coding when I put it up). This does give me some additional time to work out some weak attacks for certain utility items (e.g. swinging your torch or leg of lamb, tossing an apple, etc).

I haven't begun work on limiting item selection yet, beyond restricting what characters can use what weapons. I do hope to implement this in the long run, but only after I get all the weapons perfected.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Better be able to taunt God for a random ailment/bonus. Because that's what Conan does.
ThomsonI

Post by ThomsonI »

I will have to add in (in the long run) a button for Conan to shout "Crom!" that does (probably) nothing, in addition to the Arnie "Gyah!" pain noises. Thanks for the idea.
ThomsonI

Post by ThomsonI »

Because yesterday was the birthday of Conan creator Robert E Howard, I'm releasing an extremely crappy preview (alpha 0.2, alpha 0.1 only getting a slight private release). I've totally screwed up on offsets (will be fixed in the first proper release, somehow got the impression it was relative instead of absolute), several weapons are commented out because I'm still getting different errors with them or haven't even filled them in enough to get errors, and I've set the weapon speeds to the minimum to just get the proportions the way I want (I plan on adding 1 tic to every frame until it looks right for the next release).

...but you'll be able to see a little bit of what I'm up to, at least, especially if you know how to use Slade3 or similar products.

Credits to Ravage for the crossbow graphics.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/25jewfa3caqjo ... review.wad

I'd try to polish it a little more, but I've got to get ready for work.
Virtue

Re: Conan the Barbarian (Crappy preview released)

Post by Virtue »

are you gonna use those recoloured arms i made for you?
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I was looking in the wad and it seems like he is using them to me, but i know that he still has alot of new sprites to integrate and code, and has little time to do it in unfortunately. he also, like me, is more of an artist than a coder. give it some time, and THANK YOU for contributing those great recolors!
ThomsonI

Post by ThomsonI »

Until you had asked, I was pretty sure I had. I'd have to double check, but I'm honestly just going to get drunk and go to bed tonight and probably after work tomorrow*.

And yes, thank you Virtue for contributing them. I think I remembered to add you to the front page. I need to put in a credits lump in the actual wad itself at some point.
Spoiler: *Terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day rant
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

lol man good stuff. yeah for a snowed in 2 day vacation it would be me, and a $40 bottle of jaegermeister, and 2 buckets of refridgerated KFC, extra crispy drumsticks. mmm.... i dont think i need a snow storm for that :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”